Author Topic: Raymarine Dragonfly 4 for ice fishing?  (Read 3044 times)

Offline zuren

• IceShanty Rookie
Raymarine Dragonfly 4 for ice fishing?
« on: Aug 12, 2016, 10:01 AM »
My Eagle Cuda 242 has died (powers on and makes noise but screen is dead) some I'm trying to decide between a used unit that is compatible with my transducers (I have 2) that has flasher capabilities (like a Lowrance M68C) or get something like a Raymarine Dragonfly 4.  My uses will be ice fishing as well as mounting in a canoe and kayak via RAM mounts during the non-ice months.  I'm okay with no GPS capability thought it would be nice; I rarely go out on big water and have a handheld unit or my phone if I really need it.  Plus I'm sure an integrated receiver sucks a battery quickly.

The Dragonfly 4 is nice in that the included bracket can be removed and a RAM ball and be screwed directly to the head unit (makes installation on a battery box or in a kayak much cleaner).  It doesn't have any flasher or GPS capability.  Cost is around $130 for the head unit, transducer, and acquiring the RAM adapter:

http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=11200

If I go after a nicer, used Lowrance or Eagle head unit, I could end up with flasher and GPS capabilities and be able to reuse my transducers.  The only issue is that something like a Lowrance M68C generally go for $100 on Ebay.  Lesser models are still in the $50-80 range.  I'm questioning whether a used unit (even with added capability) is worth the cost of what a lower end, modern sonar would cost.

If you were in the same situation, would you go for the Dragonfly 4 or opt for a used unit?

Thanks!

Offline SUNNFISH 0)))

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Raymarine Dragonfly 4 for ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2016, 05:01 PM »
If I were u I wouldn't chase a deal on eBay. You can get a Lawrence elite 3x porta-pack with both ice ducer and skimmer transducer for $180 from cabelas. Brand new unit and u can use it year round.

That's my $.02

https://icefishingdeals.com/2016/07/27/steal-alert-lowrance-elite-3x-portable-sonar-best-price-179-99-free-pickup/

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2016, 06:02 PM »
Me my self would wait till black Friday sales there always running lowrances and humming birds etc at bass pro gandermtn.com and cabelas . For cheap like under 150 for the lowrance 4x I got for 99.99 about 4 years ago.. there going to do the same with the 3x sooner or later it will run about 79 to 89 for the 3x trust me it is worth the wait.. cause I think they ran the 3x last year for 79.99 at basspro .. any how I would wait and put it on the Christmas list my self? Reason being your a couple mouths from it and it's the end of summer already.. if you ask me...that up to you if you want to jump on a newer unit or a used one my suggestion is wait..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2016, 06:10 PM »
Also gandermtn.com has 10% to 20%off of 100 to 300.00 purchases check it out I don't think it includes electronic but always worth a shot??

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2016, 05:13 PM »
You might check BBG marine. He usually has good prices on all name brands.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.