Author Topic: Marcum Recon 5?  (Read 19780 times)

Offline Mudslide

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum Recon 5?
« on: Aug 11, 2016, 01:53 AM »
Saw an add for a new Marcum camera called I think Recon 5. Anybody seen one yet?
[img width=257 height=80]http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/gert27/Stcroix-1-1.jpg[img width=257 height=80]

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Marcum Recon 5?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2016, 08:25 AM »
I haven't seen one yet but am looking.  The only place I see them available is with a pre-order at Tackle Warehouse.  It says they will be available late fall.  They look good in the advertising I can find.  I think I'll be adding it to my equipment list this season.  I sold my 3 Aqua Vus this summer at our garage sale.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2016, 08:29 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2016, 10:45 PM »
Guys are buying them so they're definitely out there. I've been humming back and forth about the aqua vu micro 5 but the marcum 5 plus is the new winner. I don't understand why the aqua vu doesn't have a bright light on it to scope out vegetation and whatnot. A black and white camera is absolutely useless when i want to find a live weed bed that holds fish
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline iownit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2016, 05:34 PM »
Just picked this up:

www.redsgear.com

Marcum Recon 5 Plus Underwater Camera Viewing System RC5P
 SKU: 222902    $402.99     

Subtotal  $402.99 
Shipping & Handling  $0.00 
Discount (T6VT-6NOY)  -$10.00 
Grand Total  $392.99

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2016, 05:39 PM »
Just picked this up:

www.redsgear.com

Marcum Recon 5 Plus Underwater Camera Viewing System RC5P
 SKU: 222902    $402.99     

Subtotal  $402.99 
Shipping & Handling  $0.00 

sweet! i'm ordering one asap. With all the electronics and fancy stuff I have now I must look like a total douche haha
Discount (T6VT-6NOY)  -$10.00 
Grand Total  $392.99
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline joemx1825

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2016, 12:34 PM »
you can get it from Jet.com for $361.13 if you're a first time buyer (15% off) + you opt out of free returns and pay by debit card...

Offline ratjar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2016, 02:59 PM »
Does anyone have any video from the Recon 5? Trying to decide between the Micro 5 and the Recon 5+. I love the specs/price of the Marcum but would like to see some camera footage.

Offline joedevera

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2016, 03:11 PM »
The camera for an AquaVu is 1 million megapixel and the images are way more crisp. I just got a Recon 5+ delivered and ran to the docks with it. Onscreen direction is going to be huge for scouting  ;D Don't have a memory card for it yet so I don't have video to show

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2016, 03:54 PM »
i talked with marcum about the aqua-vu specs on their hd cam and their reply was "it won't make much difference in the water where the camera is because of stained waters and low light conditions".

in extra low light conditions, they go black and white just to try to see in it like security cams do in air with no stained water interfering with the optics.

it would be like you diving in those conditions and trying to see in it.

ratjar
welcome!

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2016, 03:56 PM »
I want the recon 5 I think but it would be nice to see some reviews first

Offline ratjar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2016, 04:40 PM »
Thanks joedevera and 3300! I'll probably go Recon 5+ because of the price and the fact that I'll primarily use it for scouting.

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2016, 02:44 PM »
Anybody find the Recon 5 plus for sale?? I'm from Canada so I can't order from reds because of the whole credit card fiasco. I think marcum really dropped the ball on this product launch. Everywhere I look seems to be back ordered till January???

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2016, 03:20 PM »
I've had one for about a week, found it on Amazon and the best deal was via a third party seller. Not as great a deal as jet but @ $400 was tolerable.

First impressions: I was surprised how solid the unit seemed. Heavier than I thought but not a burden. Lit up the cam and the 5" screen is nice for a guy that needs an electron microscope just to tie a knot. Agreed that the direction is a plus, one of the reasons I went to this model. Don't know how much I'll DVR but it's there and it will likely see at least some use.

The power thing had me curious. With an internal Li battery were there going to be extras available and would they be easy to change on the run? Turns out the answer is still "I don't know", BUT the charging end is micro USB and it would be dirt easy to make a clip on to your 12v flasher batt to supplement or charge back. Plug it in your cigarette lighter in your car on the way to the lake or in between hops to top it off. I think it'll be just fine.

I still worry about a pike or musky chewing on it. I've had 'em bump my much larger AV camera a few times. Mostly out of curiosity I think.

The whole works comes with a nice travel case with storage for extra SD cards and maybe a charger doohickey. There is an elastic arm band built in and if you remove the camera cable reel, provisions for bolt on mounting options.

All in all the first impression was very good. Let me get past the deer hunt and put some ice on the pond and we'll see where it really stands.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2016, 03:25 PM »
They do have plenty of recon 5 models on amazon. I dont know about plus. However I am planning to use the camera just to scout terrain so I dont plan to spent the extra $ on a plus. I am certain the majority of my fishing will be done with my lx-7

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2016, 04:01 PM »
Is the case it comes with just a carrying case or does it allow you to wear the unit like a "bino-buddy" harness?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2016, 04:22 PM »
The travel case lacks the chest strap the bino buddies have but it has a strap you can hang from your neck and a velcro panel that opens to show the screen. I expect it would be easy to add that extra strap if you felt it was necessary.

I'm anxious to see how well the armband thing works. If I can strap it on my forearm. drill a hole and take a peek easily without losing it or having to otherwise fool around that will be great.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2016, 05:17 PM »
understood, thank you:)

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2016, 05:12 PM »
Just had my 5+ delivered today in the mail! appears to be a well built unit and I can't wait to try it out. I don't however like the big rubber plug on the back that covers the usb charger and mini SD card slot. Looks like it might be a little too easy to get water in there and short something out...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2016, 05:40 PM »
Just had my 5+ delivered today in the mail! appears to be a well built unit and I can't wait to try it out. I don't however like the big rubber plug on the back that covers the usb charger and mini SD card slot. Looks like it might be a little too easy to get water in there and short something out...

Is there a zoom feature ? 1/4 20 Screw hole ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2016, 06:06 PM »
Is there a zoom feature ? 1/4 20 Screw hole ?

no zoom feature and yes there is a 1/4 20 hole in the back of the unit.

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2016, 06:23 PM »
No zoom feature but it does have a 1/4 20 female end to screw a ram mount into or another camera mount.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2016, 06:39 PM »
no zoom feature and yes there is a 1/4 20 hole in the back of the unit.

There are multiple 1/4x20 options after you remove the camera cable "reel". I think there are 5. I bit on the plus primarily because I wanted the direction on screen for recon. I've got a feeling I'll find a use for the DVR feature as long as it's there.

Offline ratjar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:40 AM »
Just ordered the 5 plus from fish usa for $350. I'll hopefully get out on a pond in the next two weeks to get some pictures.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:54 AM »
There are multiple 1/4x20 options after you remove the camera cable "reel". I think there are 5. I bit on the plus primarily because I wanted the direction on screen for recon. I've got a feeling I'll find a use for the DVR feature as long as it's there.

So you have to remove the cable reel to get to the 1/4 20 screw hole(s)...that seems odd ??? is it a process to do so ? So if you wanted to attach it to a tri pod or other 1/4 20 fixture/mount ...what happens to the cable reel ?

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2016, 01:06 PM »
You do NOT need to remove the cable reel to get access to the 1/4 20 female end. It is just covered by the elastic strap on the back of the unit. Simple install to a RAM mount (RAM 1" Ball with 1/4"-20 Male Threaded Post).

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2016, 05:22 PM »
I probably overlooked that, all I had time for was a quick peek.  I do know there are more options under that reel and it's not difficult to take off. I guess they figure if you're mounting it there's other space to stow the cable. Oh geez, now you're gonna make me go and look... ;D

Just ordered the 5 plus from fish usa for $350. I'll hopefully get out on a pond in the next two weeks to get some pictures.

Ouch! Nice deal, I should have been more patient, coulda saved a Grant..... :'(

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2016, 05:33 PM »
Sale ends this Sunday and camera is back ordered on the site. You can still get the price guarantee.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Looks like I ordered mine just in time, should me here tomorrow.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2016, 01:26 PM »
Waiting at the post office for me. Heading out on a search tomorrow in the Metro. I'll give it a shot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.