Author Topic: RT-9 IS OUT!  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Team_Reload

• IceShanty Rookie
RT-9 IS OUT!
« on: Aug 09, 2016, 03:07 PM »
I am by no means in the market for this unit but I know it has been talked about quite a bit over the last couple of years. Well it looks like Marcum updated their website and it's now on there. How do some of you guys feel about this unit? Seems really expensive to me for what your getting.

Here a link.  http://www.rapala.com/marcum/gps-sonar-camera/rt-9-sonar-gps-combo/rt-9-sonar-gps-combo/RT9-CMB.html?brandname=MarCum&id=10

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: RT-9 IS OUT!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2016, 04:11 PM »
I agree it does seem expensive, the camera module alone is an additional $600 so you're looking at $2,300 for a sonar/camera combo. I will admit the commercials make it look pretty cool and having the GPS feature with the maps is really slick. I'm all about the gadgets but I don't see myself trading in my trusty LX5i for an RT-9 anytime soon. I'm curious if they are running on an inexpensive, third party, android tablet similar to the photo below(with a robust waterproof/dustproof case) and have their peripheral modules take the sonar/camera data steams and convert to USB to go into the tablet. (I could be totally off base)

Whatever they are doing it looks like a neat gadget and I will be following threads of anyone who takes the plunge! Very curious how it will perform! Cheers  :icefish:

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2016, 05:17 PM »
I think it's a pretty cool deal.  My big question is battery life.  I can also see where there is a possibility of some "lag" between what is going on below you and what you see on the screen.  Maybe not, but it's an Android tablet and unless they got a priprietory hardware platform, there might be that possibility.  Time will tell, and it won't take long.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2016, 06:32 PM »
$1700 for a Marcum flasher with GPS seems way too much for me. I have their LX6 and use my Humminbird 597 w/ Lakemaster chip out of the boat (powered on the ATV). If the ice is too thin for the ATV, I have an older Lawrence H2O with a Lakemaster chip

Even if I had to start out with new stuff now, I could have the same functionality at less than $1700

Am I missing something?

Offline Team_Reload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2016, 09:52 PM »
I think it's a pretty cool deal.  My big question is battery life.  I can also see where there is a possibility of some "lag" between what is going on below you and what you see on the screen.  Maybe not, but it's an Android tablet and unless they got a priprietory hardware platform, there might be that possibility.  Time will tell, and it won't take long.

$1700 for a Marcum flasher with GPS seems way too much for me. I have their LX6 and use my Humminbird 597 w/ Lakemaster chip out of the boat (powered on the ATV). If the ice is too thin for the ATV, I have an older Lawrence H2O with a Lakemaster chip

Even if I had to start out with new stuff now, I could have the same functionality at less than $1700

Am I missing something?

I agree with both of you. Seems like way to much money. I just got a lx-7. I know for a fact I can get a nice GPS for way way less than $1000 and use it for hunting too.
I'm also concerned that it is most likely a low budget Android tablet. The specs don't say much besides the fact that it has a dual core processor and 8Gb of internal storage. That little of storage is a red flag that it is a budget model of some sort. The problem with a Android or even apple tablet for that matter is background tasks. Your going to have it searching for Bluetooth, wifi, syncing app data, running background tasks so on and so fourth. This all is going to result in lag. Unless this over molded case has a battery built in like a Mophie case or something I can see battery life falling off very quickly, especially in the cold. Cool idea and maybe something for that guy that needs that crazy tech stuff but your paying through the nose it. Not bashing Marcum, just seems like they had a dream went way over budget in R&D and now we the consumer get to take hit. I will be interested to see if I see any out on the ice this year.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2016, 05:13 AM »
It looks like a serious yet expensive toy. If you spend the cash for the base model, and can afford a toy like that, might as well go for the gold and get the camera too. It has an open water graph, a flasher, gps, internet, kitchen sink, maps, movies ... geez ... a lot of guys buy all that stuff seperate for around the same price, this packs it all into one unit. Looks cool if you can afford one.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2016, 05:24 AM »
".. a lot of guys buy all that stuff seperate for around the same price, this packs it all into one unit."

Having "stuff separate" is not a bad thing.  Having your sonar, gps and camera as separate units means if one craps out, you've still got two to use...  If the RT9 craps on you, you got nada.  Don't put all your eggs in the same basket.   ;)
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2016, 07:49 AM »
yep. but for $2,300, it better not crap out, lol! Marcum makes some good products, but that's a pricy toy with a bunch of bells and whistles. I see it more for the pro's and rich guys. I'll catch fish just fine with my $375 humminbird... might get a camera sometime cuz I think they are cool and not too much to toss into the sled when I want to and I don't even worry about gps or maps cuz I move too often. As for the kitchen sink... never did need one yet while fishin, LOL!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2016, 09:07 AM »
In all honesty you could buy a lowrance ice machine for under 500 bucks with lake chip gps buy a separate camera get a used snowmobile and maybe eve get a go pro for that price?!?!?!?!?
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2016, 07:57 PM »
Marcum's site is alive with info about the RT9 - lots of youtube videos available as well.  Very cool machine.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2016, 09:19 PM »
It doesn't say how many HP, or inboard or outboard or IO?

<°)))>{

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2016, 05:27 PM »
I'll be sticking to the LX-9 for now, but its amazing the direction these companies are going. Hopefully price drops soon, seems like a lot. But then again many people have told me that about the 9.  ;D

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2016, 07:46 AM »
This is a Marcum mistake, at that price I doubt they will sale many... If any. I have a flasher... And a smart phone with GPS.

Offline Electric29

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2016, 08:20 AM »
It will be on a bunch of fishing shows, and made to look like it is the greatest for sure. I have a fl18 and thinking of getting a fl28, but im having a hardtime justifing that upgrade. My fl18 is my best friend.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2016, 08:30 AM »
Hurry up and buy one. Marcum needs beta testers so they can start working on the dozen future software updates to try and fix the issues.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2016, 08:36 AM »
Sure would be nice to see the sales figures.  I'm adding one this season.  I don't mind doing a little R&D for them.  ;)  I predict pretty strong sales and use.  Definitly the best thing on the market to date.  For sure not the best for everyone.  It is the best for me, though  :P  My LX7 can play backup for a while.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2016, 10:07 AM »
The price on the camera is very overpriced compared to the pancam with wifi. They have kind of ticked me off on this one. Gonna keep my money out of principle. looks like a nice machine though. Anyone know if you can use the camera from the LX 9 on it? Also, does the unit have the ability to work with the wifi camera panner?

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Nov 24, 2016, 11:19 AM »
It's definitely the do everything and then some machine but there's lots of stuff that I'd never use on it and I think for the price they should include the camera.  I personally would get it LX-9 Digital Sonar/Camera System 8" LCD Dual Beam W/OSD Camera and end up saving myself around $1,000 when you consider the price difference and I wouldn't have to spend the extra $539 for the camera. 

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2016, 07:56 PM »
Hurry up and buy one. Marcum needs beta testers so they can start working on the dozen future software updates to try and fix the issues.

You hit that one square on the head. 

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2016, 01:16 PM »
I am a Marcum user, but the GPS is not a selling point at all. We all have cell phones in our pockets. Just pay $10 for Navionics and call it a day. I mean all we are trying to do is get back to the exact same  spot, and the phones work great for that. This unit is way overpriced!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:30 AM »
The "module kits" are really ridiculous. At $400 for a open water transducer and $600 for a camera and panner, ridiculous. The camera setup should be $250 and the open water ducer $100, especially since you are paying so much for the base unit. Its up to the market now I guess, this boy isn't no fool so money won't be leaving my wallet for one. Not when I can have high quality separate units for far less money. One unit goes and you are SOL with this.

Offline justborn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:49 AM »
Minimally, the Versa programmer needs to release an update for the RT9 that allows the unit to be used with the screen rotated.  I'm not buying mine until you can use the aspect ratio at its fullest with the sonar.  So, maybe in 4-5 years I might buy one.  :)

Marcum needs to get out of it's bubble and make an improved digital unit for average anglers that is appropriate for fishing out of a bucket again.  I'd rather have two improved smaller digital units, like an RT4 or Rt5, over a single Rt9 that accepts multiple modules.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2016, 06:14 AM »

I say if you can afford one and want it go for it in the mean time I'll stick with my old h20 and graphs or flasher  my camera just draws dust

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2016, 04:28 PM »
I like what it does. I like the ability to use the GPS on the tablet. If it was priced lower I would do it. If they would make it so the I could use my camera from my LX9 I might try it, but the way these things work, it usually takes a couple of years to work out the bugs. I'm going to wait a while, I think. I love my LX9.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 09, 2016, 04:39 PM »
One of my friends who's a guide has one. It's nice. But overpriced, IMO. Just a ruggedized android tablet, the camera and transducers are the same as the lx series, except they changed the connector so you can't use them. Have to buy the ones for the rt-9.   It's nice, but you can spend your money much more wisely. Especially if your mapping or using map software.

Offline Reto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 09, 2016, 07:32 PM »
I bought one and I can't wait to get it out on the ice. I have been saving since 2013 when I first heard about this and was going to pull the trigger on the LX-9 this year if it didn't come out. It was well worth the wait and the 3 years of planning haha. I bought the whole package with the camera too. Like I said I have been saving for 3 years and was anticipating a high price for the newest tech. It is like any hobby it will cost you $$$. I don't golf but I am told a good set of clubs, a membership, balls etc. will cost me about the same. I also needed a new finder for the boat so this will work great. My kids miss having the camera since it magically got broke while I was outside the wheelhouse 2 years ago.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.