Author Topic: Northern IL Ice Season  (Read 2872 times)

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
Northern IL Ice Season
« on: Jul 15, 2016, 12:43 PM »
Hello Everyone! I just moved to the Chicago area from Saskatchewan, Canada and I was wondering what the typical ice fishing season(ie. when do we usually have safe ice) is here in Northern IL / Southern WI?

Perhaps lets exclude last year, as even where I am from in Canada we were hurting for ice from what we usually expect.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Northern IL Ice Season
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2016, 08:54 AM »
Safe is a relative term. I usually can get out around Dec 16. Some years a bit earlier. Some years later. Have been on decent ice as late as 3rd week in April. But that has been a few years ago. Welcome to the rat race. Most of us dream of moving or just vacationing where you are from. I myself have been to Thompson Manitoba but never to Saskatchewan. What were you thinking? Lol!
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2016, 08:38 AM »
Safe is a relative term. I usually can get out around Dec 16. Some years a bit earlier. Some years later. Have been on decent ice as late as 3rd week in April. But that has been a few years ago. Welcome to the rat race. Most of us dream of moving or just vacationing where you are from. I myself have been to Thompson Manitoba but never to Saskatchewan. What were you thinking? Lol!

Thanks for the welcome and the information! You get out much earlier than I would have expected. Though as you said, safe is a relative term. Thompson MB, Wow that is quite a long ways up north! Fishing trip I expect?

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2016, 03:54 PM »
Thompson was sight seeing. We were camping and fishing south of there for 3 weeks several years ago. Town that was closest was Wabowden Manitoba. Caught many walleye and pike. All different sizes with plenty of very large ones to boot. Carp too. They called them suckers. Perch were plentiful and large. Saw wolves at a distance. Black bear too. Golden eagles as well as Bald eagles. Thought we saw a moose crossing the road to Snow Lake. Was far down the road and went across quick. Funny thing when I was driving one morning on a pop run. To Snow Lake as the locals buy up all the pop in Wabowden. At the time a case was $21 bucks Canadian and then they sell it to us out of town-ers for north of $40 per case. Guy who was running the store said to. Go down four houses as they have all the pop that was delivered yesterday. I was traveling at 100 mph as the sign on the side of the road said 100. Then it dawned on me kilometers per hours. Apply break pressure now. Never saw another car or truck on the road that morning. Probably a good thing. Any how lots of action around here. Lots of pressure too. Ask any of us on here for any help or info. You will get it. One thing to consider. This is not the north woods. So if you do find some good spots and there are many. Keep it to yourself or your family. If you trust them not to let the cat out of the bag so to speak. Otherwise you will find yourself surrounded by those that did not work for your find.  Also check out Chitown Angler.com  It is a local web forum. For around here. Charlie.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2016, 09:02 PM »
Hello and Welcome,  I agree with what UFCreel said about sharing or posting "Spots". A good picture is worth a thousand fisherman- literally . All the waters around here are heavily pressured just about year round.  When it comes to ice fishing around here Pan fish are King. Gills, Pumpkinseeds and crappie are what most of us focus on. For walleye and pike you'll need a Wisconsin license- there are a few places  around here but pressure keeps the #'s down.  Light line 1-4 lb test and small tungsten jigs sizes 12-16 are what have been the norm for a few years.
 Good luck and hope to meet you on the ice!!!
Ross
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2016, 11:25 AM »
Thompson was sight seeing. We were camping and fishing south of there for 3 weeks several years ago. Town that was closest was Wabowden Manitoba. Caught many walleye and pike. All different sizes with plenty of very large ones to boot. Carp too. They called them suckers. Perch were plentiful and large. Saw wolves at a distance. Black bear too. Golden eagles as well as Bald eagles. Thought we saw a moose crossing the road to Snow Lake. Was far down the road and went across quick. Funny thing when I was driving one morning on a pop run. To Snow Lake as the locals buy up all the pop in Wabowden. At the time a case was $21 bucks Canadian and then they sell it to us out of town-ers for north of $40 per case. Guy who was running the store said to. Go down four houses as they have all the pop that was delivered yesterday. I was traveling at 100 mph as the sign on the side of the road said 100. Then it dawned on me kilometers per hours. Apply break pressure now. Never saw another car or truck on the road that morning. Probably a good thing. Any how lots of action around here. Lots of pressure too. Ask any of us on here for any help or info. You will get it. One thing to consider. This is not the north woods. So if you do find some good spots and there are many. Keep it to yourself or your family. If you trust them not to let the cat out of the bag so to speak. Otherwise you will find yourself surrounded by those that did not work for your find.  Also check out Chitown Angler.com  It is a local web forum. For around here. Charlie.

That sounds like a wonderful trip! One thing I have noticed is a case of pop is waay cheaper in the states:). I had a similar experience driving in the Chicago area, I was going 40km/h (as the sign said 40)and I couldn't figure out why everyone was passing me and was generally unimpressed with my presence on the road and then I was like oh....miles/hour..

Thank you for the tips Charlie, I will surely be posting a few questions to get the ropes in this new area, it is nice to find a group of people who love ice fishing as much as I do. Cheers! I hope to see you out on the ice!

Graham

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2016, 11:26 AM »
Hello and Welcome,  I agree with what UFCreel said about sharing or posting "Spots". A good picture is worth a thousand fisherman- literally . All the waters around here are heavily pressured just about year round.  When it comes to ice fishing around here Pan fish are King. Gills, Pumpkinseeds and crappie are what most of us focus on. For walleye and pike you'll need a Wisconsin license- there are a few places  around here but pressure keeps the #'s down.  Light line 1-4 lb test and small tungsten jigs sizes 12-16 are what have been the norm for a few years.
 Good luck and hope to meet you on the ice!!!
Ross

Thank you for the pointers Ross, I will be concious of what I post, great tip! I totally love catching panfish, back home all we have for panfish perch(lots of pike and walleye), we dont see Crappie or Gills so I am very excited to fish for these species. I do enjoy the tussle of a large pike or a walleye, dont get me wrong! It will be neat to use such light gear/line, I am not used to that, where I fish there is always a good chance a cheeky pike will swim by and grab my jig so I tended to fish slightly heavier line. This will be a new experience. Thanks for the welcome, hope to see you on the ice!

Graham

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2016, 10:21 AM »
yeah typically mid dec to end of february is our ice time.  give or take a few weeks on either end. 

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2016, 04:18 PM »
yeah typically mid dec to end of february is our ice time.  give or take a few weeks on either end.

Thanks for the info!

Offline LZ Rascal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2016, 04:59 PM »
Last year, we didn't have "good" ice (4 inches or more) until almost mid January! Then, it was a brief season....by end of February or so, the ice was iffy. Typically, you're on  the ice right after the first of the year and til mid-March. Agree with the comment about not sharing too much...sigh, unfortunately, people crowd ya out. There are some decent ice tourneys around so watch for postings. Also, would recommend WindyCityFishing as another good blog site. They are already discussing a schedule of ice fishing outings (no dates yet, just potential sites). Welcome to Chicago!  LZ

Offline AyrshireBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lucky to go
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2016, 12:39 PM »
I hope it starts early!!!
I'm going to be in Rockford for work the 12-14.  I'm was hoping to get on some ice after training on the 14th but not sure if it's going to happen or not.
are there any ponds in N. ILL that have skim ice in the mornings yet?  Forecast for Rockford looks good but I'm guessing I'll be there a few days too early.
Take a kid fishing!

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:21 PM »
The 14 in Rockford you may be ok I'm hoping maybe Monday I'll keep an eye on the ice the puddles in my driveway were frozen solid tonight drove the truck across and they didn't break so I'm getting excited
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2016, 06:27 PM »
I and I apologize welcome to the group mr graham the ice season here is fast and furious but fun
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2016, 08:55 PM »
The 14 in Rockford you may be ok I'm hoping maybe Monday I'll keep an eye on the ice the puddles in my driveway were frozen solid tonight drove the truck across and they didn't break so I'm getting excited
[/quo

There you are.
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Welcome to Illinois...

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Saw two different groups of guys out on Bangs today. I did not stop to check the ice.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:38 PM »
Thanks UFC
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2016, 06:13 AM »
Fran- you are welcome. If looking at the lake one small group was to the left of Lindys. Looked to be in front of Phils Beach. The other small group was in front of Bergers channel.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:15 PM »
I stopped by Bangs this morning and HOLY COW was it crowded

;D ;D ;D :tipup:
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2016, 02:20 PM »
Thank you all for the welcome! I hope to see you on the ice...and soon!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.