Author Topic: HWI Tight Line Pro Reel  (Read 6062 times)

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
HWI Tight Line Pro Reel
« on: Jul 13, 2016, 10:15 AM »
http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/hwi-tight-line-pro-reel/

Coming Soon!!!

The revolutionary Tight Line Pro will set a new standard for in-line ice fishing reel performance. Now you can engage free spool and release free spool with one finger OR engage it and let it go until you reset it with the handle. It's up to you!

Features:
Dual Purpose Single lever free spool activation
Momentary One Hand Free Spool
Traditional free spool/handle reset
Graphite Long Stem Frame
Palmable shrouded spool
Smooth "handle assist" drag system

Looks like Sportsmen's Direct is coming out with a new tight line reel for this winter.  Looks like a pretty neat concept!

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: HWI Tight Line Pro Reel
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2016, 02:01 PM »
Can't wait to compare this to the Free Fall by 13 Fishing

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2016, 02:07 PM »
They're an excellent company to deal with as well - great people

Catchin' Fish

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2016, 03:32 PM »
im still on the fence about inline reels.i like the free spool option and no line twist but are so off balance and uncomfortable to fish with using the pencil grip.i would try the teardrop if it ever drops in price by half or more.lol. so far ive tried the clam,eagle claw both models with long and short stem,frabill 101 and the cgi no.8 reel.all the guts in the handle sides make them unbalanced.jmo

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2016, 04:49 PM »

Hey DR trust me they are not for everyone , I have been holding that pencil grip style long before they gave it a fancy name , so those reels work fine for me , but I have buds that have tried them and let's say I heard some interesting metaphors ;D

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2016, 12:36 PM »
hey guys, who is HWI ? I,ve never heard of this co. unless i,m having a brain f**t, which is highly possible. ty wire

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2016, 01:04 PM »
hey guys, who is HWI ? I,ve never heard of this co. unless i,m having a brain f**t, which is highly possible. ty wire
I believe HWI is a private distributor in MI who has some affiliation with Sportsman direct.  They make some great innovative products such as the sonic ice hopper bracket.  I have the HWI tight line extreme plus reel, and to be honest, it took me awhile to get used to it as its a rather small reel and mainly made from plastic, but got to like it for its light weight and ability to pencil grip better than the other tighlines on the market.  My only complaint is the double handle which gets in the way for someone with average or above average size hands.  I see the newer model only has one handle which would make it much easier to use.  The product is made in China, but Sportsman direct as dealer is top notch in my book.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2016, 01:20 PM »
im still on the fence about inline reels.i like the free spool option and no line twist but are so off balance and uncomfortable to fish with using the pencil grip.i would try the teardrop if it ever drops in price by half or more.lol. so far ive tried the clam,eagle claw both models with long and short stem,frabill 101 and the cgi no.8 reel.all the guts in the handle sides make them unbalanced.jmo
I have a Teardrop, or two.  FYI - if you fish out in the weather (I do not, I like it warm where I fish) you will not like the Teardrop reels.  They will freeze up on you.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2016, 01:32 AM »

Good quality spinning reel like a Shimano Stradic Ci4 there's zero twists. Granted its a couple hundred bucks but I only I have two reels for all my rods so it's still less than of I had 5 or 6 rods with $50 to $100 dollar in lines. Im not a fan of the in lines either but they do fish balanced for me on my setup. Pivot the rod blank in the handle and it's balanced great but there's still no comparison to the Stradic even the higher quality like the Black Betty fail miserably in comparison imo.

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2016, 07:27 AM »
I own a bunch of CI4 and just like all spinning reels they make line twist all day long. Any reel that puts the line back on the spool like the Tight Line, Straight Line, or a baitcaster will cause far less line twist. It is simple pshyics.

Just seen this posted over on Justin Youtube Channel is like the number two guy over at Sportsmen's Direct. You get to see alittle bit more of this reel in the video.
=5m40s

Offline Team_Reload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2016, 03:34 PM »
i guess the thing that is nice about this reel is the fact that it is almost half the cost of the free fall from 13 fishing. I think i like the free spool trigger/button location on the free fall better though. This seems like it would be a stretch or awkward to get at.

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2016, 08:21 AM »
I got to play with one yesterday when I stopped by after work yesterday. When I pencil gripped it I had no problem working the trigger at all. They could be here today, so if I get word they are in I will get over there and get one and take some up close pictures for you.

Offline Team_Reload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2016, 02:41 PM »
I got to play with one yesterday when I stopped by after work yesterday. When I pencil gripped it I had no problem working the trigger at all. They could be here today, so if I get word they are in I will get over there and get one and take some up close pictures for you.

Awesome! Keep us posted!

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2016, 09:40 AM »
i guess the thing that is nice about this reel is the fact that it is almost half the cost of the free fall from 13 fishing. I think i like the free spool trigger/button location on the free fall better though. This seems like it would be a stretch or awkward to get at.

I saw the video on Facebook yesterday, and I had the same exact thought. The other thing I like about the Free Fall is disengaging the button engages the spool - this is the biggest improvement and the major advantage IMO. Not having to 'turn the handle' to stop the free spool truly makes it a one-hand operation. In this sense, the Free Fall appears to be much easier to operate.

Offline Team_Reload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Aug 19, 2016, 01:06 PM »
Looks like you can order it on the sportsman direct website now. I though the original price was $79 but now i see its $49.99. Maybe just a early buy type thing IDK.

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 24, 2016, 07:32 AM »
I seen this video this morning showing how to work the switch on the reel. Maybe this will help a few people out that where wondering if it si easy work. I found it easy to work.

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Aug 24, 2016, 07:34 AM »
Awesome! Keep us posted!

I bought mine yesterday!!!! ;D ;) :) @) Might have to go try and jig up some walleye with this thing on the St. Clair River this weekend lol I could see myself using this for openwater also. Fishing around docks for panfish with a long poll or vertical jigging fish in deeper water. Its a nice reel.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2016, 02:10 PM »
So I see these reels have been consistently in stock for a few weeks now for the price of $49.99.  Has anyone pick one up and actually tried it out?  I know the ultimate test will be on the ice in cold conditions, but just wanted to get any feedback so far.  Possibly looking at picking one up for mid-deep water setups.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2016, 06:05 PM »
Just placed an order. For half the price of the freefall ill give it a try. I like that you can push the freespool lever forward and then release it to re-engage the spool, or click it back to leave it in freespool till you crank the handle. I also think its a better design for ice fishing. The trigger on the Freefall looks like it could get iced up.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2016, 12:42 PM »
Just got mine in and right off the bat i found something i didnt like....

There is no spool tension knob. So when u engage freespool there is nothing to add a little drag to keep it from spinning like crazy and birds nesting.

Im trying to come up with a way to remedy it.

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 14, 2016, 02:05 PM »

There is no spool tension knob. So when u engage freespool there is nothing to add a little drag to keep it from spinning like crazy and birds nesting.

Thanks for the heads up! That sort of seems like a non-starter / major design flaw? I jig up to 1/16 oz forage minnows on my inlines and down to 1/80 oz lead jigs. For this sort of versatility, a tension knob is absolutely critical. It would sort of be like a bait caster with a tension knob, good luck... I'm glad I hedged my bets on the FreeFall and I'll be keeping my 6061's too.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2016, 10:42 AM »

Even with a spool tension knob, I use a finger to feather the spool as the lure drops and to stop the spool when the lure hits bottom.  Not an issue to me.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2016, 11:46 AM »

Can you back reel on the tight line pro?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Oct 17, 2016, 07:36 AM »
Even with a spool tension knob, I use a finger to feather the spool as the lure drops and to stop the spool when the lure hits bottom.  Not an issue to me.

Do you even own one? The spool is in a housing so you cant feather it with your finger...

Thanks for the heads up! That sort of seems like a non-starter / major design flaw? I jig up to 1/16 oz forage minnows on my inlines and down to 1/80 oz lead jigs. For this sort of versatility, a tension knob is absolutely critical. It would sort of be like a bait caster with a tension knob, good luck... I'm glad I hedged my bets on the FreeFall and I'll be keeping my 6061's too.

I did find a work around but only time will tell if it works. I took off the little nut/cap that holds the spool on and added a small rubber washer. Now as i tighten that down it applies a little drag to the spool. I added a little dab of blue locktite so the cap doesnt tighten/loosen as i reel. Seems to work so far, in my kitchen..

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2016, 07:59 AM »
Do you even own one? The spool is in a housing so you cant feather it with your finger...

No I don't have one, but the SIDE of the spool is exposed and you can probably feather the SIDE of the spool with a finger to control the drop.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2016, 08:10 AM »
No I don't have one, but the SIDE of the spool is exposed and you can probably feather the SIDE of the spool with a finger to control the drop.

One finger to engage freespool, one finger to apply spool tension, three fingers to hold the rod/set the hook? All while wearing gloves of some sort?

Tell yah what. Buy one and show us how its done lol.

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 18, 2016, 06:01 AM »
Seen this on thier facebook page, where the owner was catching Pink Salmon with the reel. Looked like he was using his pinky to contorl the spool.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Oct 18, 2016, 07:12 AM »
Seen this on thier facebook page, where the owner was catching Pink Salmon with the reel. Looked like he was using his pinky to contorl the spool.

Thats just how he holds it. Where he was contacting it with his pinky is actually housing the spool sits in. Its also open water, and no gloves on.

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 20, 2016, 10:10 AM »
I went and fished some docks with it yesterday for panfish and flip to some poles with it. I was able to feather the spool with my pinky while I casted it. Also on mine when I tighten down the spoon knob all the way it makes enough drag on the reel that you can use it just fine.

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 20, 2016, 10:28 AM »

Well that scraps that one for me then too. I bought the fancy concept inline last year and its even worse with only one side of the reel covered. It freewheels like crazy and the weight of the aluminum spool keeps it spinning when the lure hits bottom. That combined with the one open side and line absolutely flies off the spool and tangles with no hope of recovery. Does it every damn time. This tight line pro definitely looks better as the line is enclosed so that eliminates my main problem.
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.