New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Screws in Boots?  (Read 6059 times)

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Screws in Boots?
« on: Jul 07, 2016, 08:11 PM »
I just purchased a pair of Muck Arctic boots and want to put screws in bottoms. Can anyone recommend size and type.  I read somewhere that somebody also used red locktite on theirs. Do you think this helps to keep them in?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Screws in Boots?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2016, 02:13 AM »
Ice Chipper I own a pair of Muck Arctic Pros .pulling them out of storage and looking at the sole of boot see limited area to put in screws.  Personally I would not use locktite  over time the screws will wear down and have to be replaced you don,t need to destroy the boots trying to remove any worn screws. You may want to take a look at  Katahola Micro spikes or Stabilicers.
 I own and use Stabilicers they work well for me. The Micro Spikes have a good reputation among ice Shanty members. (I do not think I spelled Katahola correctly).

If you use the search feature on this site you should find a few threads on this topic.  Enjoy the boots.
Steve

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2016, 05:36 AM »
I did the screws in the shoes thing and they worked great. You don't need loctite. There are some problems with them though. For one, don't accidently wear them in the house unless you're the kinda guy that likes frying pans upside the head, lol! Also, walking into a convenience store that has hard linoleum floors can be dangerous... kinda like walking on wet ice in slippers! You won't stop sliding until the candy aisle gets in the way :o  Also a problem, if you wear snowshoes with those boots on, you will end up trashing your snowshoes.

If you want a dedicated pair of ice boots, go for it, but don't use the sheet metal screws in the hardware store. The heads on those are soft and thin and will wear down pretty quick leaving a smooth metal surface that will be more slippery than not having anything. Get ice spikes. They are made for this.

http://www.icespike.com/store/index.html

Personally, I like something that I can remove when I get off the ice. Kahtoolas or something like them. Put them on and walk onto the ice, take them off for walking to the truck, store, house or for putting on the snowshoes.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Kahtoolas...for all the reasons stated above
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2016, 06:47 AM »
OR..you return the Mucks and buy the best pair of ice fishing boots I've ever owned for a song on Amazon, ready for snow or ice on the fly.  Every size AT LEAST 50% or more.  Here:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IOPR6M8/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1468064322&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=korkers&dpPl=1&dpID=51nuTddqPCL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1
These prices make these boots a steal.
Everyone in my circle of friends has a pair now.  Awesome ice fishing boots.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2016, 11:08 AM »

microspikes

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2016, 11:44 AM »
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Jul 10, 2016, 02:28 PM »
yes.. kahtoola microspikes.theres  just no way I could put a bunch of holes in any of my mickey or bunny boots.ive thought about it many times tho.i know its a good/cheap idea but not for me.slip on my microspikes when I get to the lake and go.lots of snow most days here and id rather slip on my cleats when I need them then have holes drilled in my boots.

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2016, 10:00 AM »
I ordered the Kahtoolas microspikes thanks to Hardwater Diehard who told me Overtons had a  20% off and free shipping deal. Saved $13 and free ship! Got em for $51.99 +tax. Thanks to Ice Shanty for the help also!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2016, 04:32 AM »
Ice Chipper may your location be blessed with a cold winter so you can get to use the Micro Spikes often this 2016-17 ice fishing season. Hardwater Diehard good work helping a fellow Ice Shanty member find a deal on equipment. You are an asset to this web site.
Steve

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2016, 02:37 PM »
1/2-3/4" slotted hex screws - got tired of messing with spikes on my dedicated ice fishing boots and installed screws last season.

Catchin' Fish

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #11 on: Jul 26, 2016, 06:18 AM »
i also used the screws in my boots,works great,and also put them in my shoes for the strem fishing
i find i NEED all the grip i can get[age thing]
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2016, 02:02 PM »
OR..you return the Mucks and buy the best pair of ice fishing boots I've ever owned for a song on Amazon, ready for snow or ice on the fly.  Every size AT LEAST 50% or more.  Here:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IOPR6M8/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1468064322&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=korkers&dpPl=1&dpID=51nuTddqPCL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1
These prices make these boots a steal.
Everyone in my circle of friends has a pair now.  Awesome ice fishing boots.
Thanks for the heads up. Just got a pair for $38 shipped.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2016, 02:55 PM »
Good deal Prospector!  I talked another IS member into buying a pair Saturday too.  $59 but still a great deal.  Some sizes have jumped clear back up to full retail of $229.99.  I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2016, 03:46 PM »
Man I wouldn't tear up expensive boots like that. Buy some slip on cleats dude.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2016, 06:00 AM »
I have a pair of micros 6-7 years old with no signs of wear , Go on and off very easy

I have never seen korkers winter boot  ,their soft water wading shoes are well made

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Sep 29, 2016, 06:13 AM »
Seems I say this every season. Put screws in my Trans Alaska boots going on 8 years ago. No problems whatsoever. Always there when I need them. Haven't hurt the boots one bit. Still waterproof in  a foot of slush. No locktite necessary.....never lost one.

Just don't use self tappers. Regular hex head sheet metal screws. #6 x 3/8". About $5 / 100 at Lowes.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Sep 29, 2016, 07:37 AM »
I've tried the screws before, and they work, but not as well as I hoped they would. I've tried the cheaper HT ice cleats, and they broke on me after only a few times on the ice, so I ordered myself a pair of Kahtoola's this year, and cannot wait to give them a try on the ice! From all the reviews I've read, they are awesome! Can't wait for the water to start freezing!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #18 on: Sep 29, 2016, 08:05 AM »
a fellow ice shanty member noticed his Kahtoolas microspikes had dry rotted and wanted to know about what screws to use.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=333518.0

if you still want to know what screws to use for when your Kahtoolas microspikes are either missing one or dry rotter or you want permanent slip protection use these;

Kold Kutter Pro Series
https://www.amazon.com/Kold-Kutter-Snowmobile-Traction-Screws/dp/B008N6AQXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475153261&sr=8-1&keywords=kold+kutters

i use about 30 per boot and pay extra attention to installing them on the heels and toes as these are the areas that catch your walk and push your weight forward. these are hardened steel and designed to go very fast on slick ice. the 3/8" length is the shortest they offer and i have them in three pairs of boots now even mickey mouse boots, so they are on even while shoveling snow. you can get hurt on land just as easy, so you'll want some thing comfortable and not noticeable. i have lost a few tho and are easy to replace.

Kahtoolas microspikes are very uncomfortable. they change your stride also. i bought a pair after listening to all the hype on this site about them and was disappointed in how the hurt my heels on my expensive cabelas boots and have to put the chains just right to get them to fit the heels treads and have to take them off going into my shappell dx3000 shanty.
the ice screws are no problem even on soft floors as you walk flat footed then and it works like a magician that lays on a bed of nails with out injury.

i should dig my old now pair of Kahtoolas microspikes out and see if they also dry rotted, but i haven't seen them in so long i am not sure where they are and i don't miss them at all. i knew they would rot or get lost from pack snow pulling one off like the many other brands i tried have happened to me.

Offline PACKERBACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Retired
« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2016, 07:16 AM »
Like RG said. I put them in my trans Alaskas and they work very well. Just stay off the kitchen floor or you could get hurt ;)
Winners don't know they're in a race.

They just like to run.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2016, 07:37 AM »
lock tite only bonds metal to metal, So anything that is not metal to metal find another glue.................. ...
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2016, 10:06 AM »
you don't need any kind of glue, they don't come out. One problem I had with screws in my boots was when the snow got deep and I put on snowshoes. The screws messed up the bottoms on the bindings.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2016, 07:22 AM »
I wear a pair of 35yo sorel chanpions that I have worn the soles smooth, added hex head sheet metal screws many years ago and I will still wear these boots, They are the warmest boots I've ever worn. Not very good for walking anywhere because of the size, but for warmth, they're the best.

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2016, 04:23 PM »
http://www.constructiongear.com/replacement-cleats-stabilicer.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=84258428480&gclid=CNHW6ZaH2dACFY-EswodIhsLGw
Try this site for boot screws or just Google "Boot Studs" I have used screws in my boots for 30 years. imo, best way to go.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2016, 07:12 AM »
 i also have screws in my boots,works great
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 04, 2016, 01:06 PM »
I  toss on my  korkers  when I see  bare  ice .....  larry  down at the  salmon  shop has korkers   for  59  bucks and  they are  decent ..... screws in  your  boots   will year  your  floor matts  out in  you truck  and  get dirty looks  when  you walk in a  diner not to mention ruin  a commercial carpet  real fast

Offline bonotch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:01 AM »
I put hex head screws in my boots close to 20 years ago, haven't lost a screw yet. Everything else I used years ago would accumulate ice and snow, or would break. 20 yrs no problem I just screwed them in without any adhesive.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2016, 06:04 PM »
I've used hex head screws on my wading shoes and ice boots and they work great, but I was recently given some of those Kold Kutters that were referred to and those things bite even better.  Can't say how they will wear over time but boy to they bite.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:22 PM »
I did these in 2004. I've replaced a few screws since then...only because they were worn down.

I still have the same Trans Alaskans and they still have screws in the soles. I've never lost one. They work very well. Easy walking, can't forget them or lose them. Best of all.....they're really....really cheap.

I don't wear them driving or in the restaurant. No need to.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2016, 07:24 PM »
I'm a fan of kathoolas.  They fit awesome on my 10+ yr old cabelas predator extremes with little effort.  I would recommend putting them on the floor in your vehicle to heat them up on your way to the lake.  This will make them stretch easier. I have walked miles in them with no issues.  I've tried screws in my predators as well with no luck, they seemed to rip out easily (maybe they have a softer sole than others).  If the screws held in my boots I probably would not have bought the spikes.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.