Author Topic: Colors  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
Colors
« on: Jul 07, 2016, 06:12 PM »
     Hey all u guys that use plastics, is there any color you prefer more during the hardwater season? Or is it more a personal preference.  Does it seem a color works better for u during ice season than open water

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Colors
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2016, 11:52 PM »
Depends on the target species.

Chartreuse and black, just to get this started.        ;)2

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2016, 05:39 AM »
what works one day might get you skunked the next. Sometimes the fish on one side of the lake likes blue while the fish on the other side like red. That's probably why they're on different sides of the lake. Bring different colors and see what the fish under you likes.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2016, 12:00 PM »
I tend to stick to natural colors brown/black/mud green ...but have a colorful assortment ready willing an able if need be ...match the hatch if you can... see what they are burping up ...see what bugs/larva are around your hole after drilling.... mostly in shallow water . Don't forget profile ...could be all about the available forage as opposed to color ...if its a minnow day or lake ..you may not get a bite if using a bug/larva imitation no matter what the color ...and as always size matters ...with plastics you can pinch the bodies/tails/tentacles and change the profile and action .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 09, 2016, 07:06 AM »
Have been out many times. Where I start with chartreuse and am killing them (crappies). Then you notice after a while it slows down or becomes nonexistent. Change of color time. Maybe a 50 foot move is in order too. Use a camera too see if you are still on fish. If you are still on them do the color thing or change up the profile of your rig. Mostly though I find changing color is the key.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2016, 05:11 AM »
If I was stranded out there for months and months it would have to be white
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jul 12, 2016, 06:46 PM »
I did use pink, chartreuse to start but last season I went with a more natural looking bait with great success.

Offline GoldenGraham

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2016, 12:02 PM »
Chartreuse is definitely my favorite starting point, some days I'm more attracted to that color than the fish. Depending on the bite and water clarity I will change colors(pink, white, orange, green, and brown most often) until I find what the fish are getting excited about. In the early morning or late in the day I will often use something with a bit of "glow" in it.

As hardwater diehard said before, size is important. I've had many experiences where I am just not getting any hits, but then I toss on the exact same thing in a smaller size they start hammering it like crazy which was kind of cool. :tipup:

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2016, 01:23 AM »
I use white more than not.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Black, red and gold on jigs ..... black, red and motor oil (browns) for plastics for the clear water I fish during the day. Glow red at night.  Simply my standard colors for years that work. Believe that overall size, shape, location, time of year/day mixed with  your overall presentation is much more important than color is. Asst colors are usually to get you to buy more product, freely admit that I'm as guilty as anyone  :whistle:   Open water is basically the same but usually a little larger.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 24, 2016, 07:31 PM »
     Hey all u guys that use plastics, is there any color you prefer more during the hardwater season? Or is it more a personal preference.  Does it seem a color works better for u during ice season than open water

I think plastic color preference depends on the lake/area, and the type of forage that is most abundant in the lake for fish........Personally in NW Iowa my go to and main color for plastics when pan fishing is red.....most of my winter plastics are red. However, the white plastic perch eye from northland does work to catch walleye and pike when on a spoon jigging.........still blew me away it actually worked.

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2016, 10:06 AM »
Have had a lot of luck with black on crappies, otherwise a light red or glow red is my all around go to for pan fish in general. Really like the little atom plastics. I buy the spidgies and rip a leg off to use, get like 18 out of it instead of the 5 wedgies that come in a pack, and are basically the same thing.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2016, 03:27 PM »
If I was stranded out there for months and months it would have to be white

Yep.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.