Author Topic: Hook 5 or Helix 5  (Read 6241 times)

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hook 5 or Helix 5
« on: Jun 26, 2016, 06:52 PM »
I'm in need of a new fish locator for the boat and have narrowed it down to the hook 5 and helix 5. Opinions plz?

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
Re: Hook 5 or Helix 5
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2016, 03:24 PM »
What's a hook 5? Who makes it?  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2016, 07:43 AM »
I got a Garmin striker 5 this spring. no lake maps but I don't need it.  lots of cool options for 300 bucks. down vu, a flasher gps  and split screens.

Online Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2016, 08:27 AM »
I like the Lowrance elite 4 or 5's. I have an Elite 4x-chirp on my kayak right now but for a bigger boat I would go with the 5x. The nice thing about them is they have an ice fishing mode with a flasher or you can use the down imaging or the hdi ff mode.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2016, 08:57 AM »
The hook5 is basically this years Lowrance elite series that includes chirp technology.  Last year I purchased the elite-5 chirp with GPS to replace my 23 year old Eagle.  It is a nice unit and does allow you to see your lure, fish, etc, track way points, and set GPS coordinates from a touch of a button.  For the price it has a lot of features for what I would consider an above entry level fish finder.  It is preloaded with some maps but it is fairly generic unless you pick up one of the units loaded with navionics.  The unit has a quick disconnect which I find nice if you want to remove for storage, secucity, etc. The other nice thing is that you can purchase the kit which allows you to use it for ice fishing as well.   The graph is outstanding for ice fishing and quit frankly I may never go back to traditional flasher again.

Right now you should be able to get the unit for 300-450 depending on options and the ice fishing kit runs around $150 but keep you eye out for rebates and sales all the time.  I got mine from Cabelas and was able to get both options (GPS model & ice pack) out the door for just under $500 after rebates and have something I can use year round.

I guess the downfalls for me is that the unit is a little slow to start up due to the GPS, doesn't work well passed 5-10 mph due to its sensitivity and occasionally it will lose bottom at higher speeds.  Perhaps I need to do an update.  It doesn't have networking capabilities if you want to network with your trolling motor you will have to move up the the HDS-7 touch gen 2/3  series (probably my next purchase with my Motorguide xi5).  It does not have side imaging, and for the price I wouldn't expect that but I know the hummingbird has that option for the helix-5 in the 450-500 range.

As far as the helix-5, I know one person who has one and so far they like it, except that the 5" display is small when running multiple screens.  I know that the helix also is available in a ice pack as well but I think you have to purchase the unit as an ice pack and then get the separate transducer for the boat.

Hope this helps a little.

Online Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2016, 09:06 AM »
lots of really good info there. Thanks DaveSS1

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2016, 05:52 AM »
Just bought a helix 5 monday used it yesterday and it it a great little unit. It does have an icefishing flasher mode built in. The sonar showed my jig bouncing when I used a jig. Didn't try the ice fishing mode yet. Will probubly try next time out, flaser will be a good backup or good to let someone fishing with me use a flasher if they don't have one. So far it seems like a nice unit. I got the sonar with gps unit, $268.00 at digital oasis no tax or shipping came to my house in 2 days.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2016, 12:30 PM »
Just bought a helix 5 monday used it yesterday and it it a great little unit. It does have an icefishing flasher mode built in. The sonar showed my jig bouncing when I used a jig. Didn't try the ice fishing mode yet. Will probubly try next time out, flaser will be a good backup or good to let someone fishing with me use a flasher if they don't have one. So far it seems like a nice unit. I got the sonar with gps unit, $268.00 at digital oasis no tax or shipping came to my house in 2 days.

Nice! Especially when you can save on tax & shipping...
I think to effectively use the ice mode you will need the puck-style transducer which is normally included with the bag, power cable, battery and plug and play.  I did try my ice mode on my lowrance and it does work in the boat but you don't get any of the chirp/down image technology.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jul 05, 2016, 01:16 PM »
I'm very sure you don't get the ice ducer from humminbird if you order the ice bag kit (you may if purchasing them together in a package).  I got the ice bag separate and had to order the ice ducer still.  The cheapest solution would be to pick up an ice ducer and mount the helix on a genz box (blue vexilar box)

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jul 11, 2016, 05:05 PM »
Garmin Striker 7sv!!! I just bought one... Amazing!!! $499!!!

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2016, 09:43 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I obviously haven't been on in awhile. I went with the Hook-5 with Navionics+. I ordered it thru Cabelas and got a  got a $50 rebate and same quite a bit off the price of the Navionics+ by buying it together. I was happy with it on the boat. Will be ordering the ice kit soon so i can try it out on the ice.

Offline wifisherman4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2016, 07:44 PM »
I just picked up a Garmin striker 7dv for ice and open water. Used it in the boat a few times now and am pretty impressed with it. Loads of options, crisp display, barely uses any battery. Got the portable case set up and ice ducer, can't wait to use it on hard water.

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2016, 08:17 PM »
I just got an email from HB the other day, and they are coming out with a Helix 5 Gen 2, which will have Chirp, and will also be able to use auto chart live. So you might want to check out that option if you're wanting to get a Humminbird Helix 5.

Offline Wavfire06

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2016, 10:44 PM »
I just picked up the ice helix5 from cabelas like the way it looks played with it some now need ice to really put it to work think it will work great the ice pack model u get everything like if u where buying any other flasher u get the case battery transducer
If u can read my coat u are to close

Offline rbalkevitch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2016, 07:45 AM »
Go with the Helix.   I have a Helix 7 SI.  Great Equipment.
Prior to having my Helix, I had a Lowrance. I like the Helix a lot more.
A wise man once said nothing. Rob~

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.