Author Topic: Ice jigs with bad hooks  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice jigs with bad hooks
« on: Jun 22, 2016, 04:47 PM »
Need a little help finding these jigs again, I do remember when ordering them they were noted for a thin wire hook.  Also that they break a lot.  Was hammering the big bulls on them and having a hard time locating them if anybody can give me a heads up appreciate it

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice jigs with bad hooks
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2016, 05:52 PM »
If it helps any the hooks were red just wanting to pick some more up

Offline WarBonnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2016, 05:27 AM »
      Show us a picture, then we will know what to use !!!! :whistle:            WB

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2016, 06:16 AM »
I got some Lindy slick jigs that were red... but I don't remember if the hook was red. Bro's jiggle bugs have a red hook and so does the doodle bug. I think the bloodworm has a red hook too. Where did you order them from?

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2016, 09:00 AM »
That's the problem I ordered so many jigs to start I can't find them been looking, I do remember the guys saying they are a great jig but the hooks were more like a wire and that they broke.  Two of the 5 I had broke hooks the others did bend I will try n get a pic up.
    We were fishing a big lake here in PA, and been hitting the big bulls n jumbo perch with slip bobbers but the last trip we had to adjust, weren't hitting anything on slip bobbers so my buddy just used a hook with two waxies n split shot, started picking up fish after about the fourth one I ripped off slip bobbers put on one of these jigs n I couldn't keep it in the water. Had to give my buddy a jig, we picked up a nice mess of gills after the switch. I wasn't even using a split shot, we were fishing about 10-15 feet of water.  Trip b4 this believe I hooked into a striper on a little jig on the ultra lite with 4 pound test, the power in that fish was unreal made 4 runs of at least 10-15 yards on each run, had him almost all the way back n believe the knot pulled on jig.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2016, 09:06 AM »
was it a tungsten? I remember the hooks were breaking alot on the tungsten jigs.

clam has a drop jig with a red hook also.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2016, 11:23 AM »
can't help on what jig you used unless you show us a picture of it. the only red wire hook i use is a tru-turn  size #8 hook for live bait, but they don't break.

i can help with what works for me and no live bait needed and that's a trout magnet in gold with charlie brewers crappie sliders in the half size version. i can pick off any fish with these. use a super slow retrieve with a long droop in the line so you see it and feel it when getting tiny hits on it. just slow the retrieve even more when that's happening. bad thing is when pike hit it, it's gone after a short fight. carp are a blast on them and all the pan fish will hit it. crappie don't like a fast bait, only slow and the slower the better.

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Lelands-Lures-Mini-Magnet-Jig-Heads  (notice the review)

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Charlie-Brewers-Crappie-Slider-Grubs
some of the ones i use the most of:
Blue Ice/Chartreuse Tail
Chartreuse/Orange Tail
White/Chartreuse

other places have way more colors than here. like d&r sports in osthemo mi. you can trim a full size slider to work, but i like them ready to go when i buy them.
give them a shot. they are light so no more than a 4# test and the longer the rod the better like a steel head rod on an open face reel with some ice line is what i use.

i told a buddy of mine about them and he bought a different version of the trout magnet and trolls with it and does well.
http://www.fishusa.com/product/Lelands-Lures-Trout-Magnet-Lures

i fly fish to start my fishing out and move to these when they don't want a surface bait. only time i use live bait now is on ice.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2016, 02:50 PM »
Thearcher1340 ditto the comments about a picture/pictures . Spider1 maybe correct about the jigs being tungsten remember quite a few posts about hooks breaking/bending with that type of jig. I know a few jig makers use very fine wire hooks on their tungsten jigs. Also think they way tungsten jigs are made contributes to the problem . Tungsten melts at a very high temperature above 5,000 F so a grove is cut into the jig head and the steel hook is then soldered into place. Otherwise the hook would melt during molding some manufacturers use powered tungsten and a high compression molding process instead of the solder to make the jigs.

Here are the names of a few jig makers/sellers you should visit their web sites and see if you can find the jigs that you want to replace.
   Lindy, Custom Jigs & Spins, Clam, Jammin Jigs, Your Bobbers Down.
 I hope this helps in your search.
 Steve

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2016, 06:51 PM »

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jun 24, 2016, 06:52 PM »
Ok finally figured how to get the pics up, these are the jigs guys anybody know what they are called and who sell them

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jun 24, 2016, 07:11 PM »

Here's a few of the ones we got

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jun 24, 2016, 07:41 PM »
http://customjigs.com/products/vertiglo-demon.html

These may be them ...but I have never had any issues with hooks breaking off on the CJ&S...and if so ...few and far between ..maybe on the really small ones.

PS ...I like that jig box set up ...who makes that ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2016, 09:13 PM »
HWD thanks buddy, man I don't know how I missed them I was on custom jigs n spin.  We crushed them with these jigs, color didn't seem to matter. They were hitting everything.  We even caught small mouths every now n then on them. My buddy lost one had to be 3-4 pounds.  I'll check on the boxes 2moro.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 25, 2016, 03:28 AM »
Thank you for posting the photos. Going by the link HWD posted I think you have the answer to your question. Besides the 2 lures and links 3300 mentioned you may want to visit Your Bobbers Down website under the lures & balances listing Little Atom Lures has 2 spoons of similar body type.

Red Ice Shmoe and Shmoe spoon                          www.yourbobbersdown.com

Steve

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jun 25, 2016, 05:53 AM »
Thanks guys appreciate it, hardwater the jig box was also picked up at custom jigs n spin.  Picked them up last year they also had a spoon box which is sweet it has a arm that comes across the spoons so they don't get tangled

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Jun 25, 2016, 06:06 AM »
that jig box is either a rose creek or bug luggage jig box.i have both brands  and they are great jig boxes.jigs look like lindy frostee jigs except the hooks are beefy on those.

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jun 26, 2016, 09:59 PM »

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jun 26, 2016, 10:00 PM »
Thought I'd share the spoon box to, has a nice arm to hold spoons in place. 

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jun 27, 2016, 08:05 AM »
yeah man, everyone has to have a few demons in their box! I got some frizbees too, the crappie will hit them from time to time too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.