Author Topic: Scouting  (Read 878 times)

Offline clhuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
Scouting
« on: Jun 16, 2016, 12:36 PM »
So I never really get out on boat to much I usually stick to trout streams or just fish from shore. If I even have time to go!    But thinking about getting the ol mans boat out on some lakes. I've heard before about "scouting" for when ice comes   How exactly do you do this I assume marking depths and fish.  So what else?   Won't the fish move by then.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Scouting
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2016, 01:26 PM »
Look for and mark via GPS any changes /transitions between bottom composition. Also locate any structure/stumps/rocks/brush in the lakes main basin...great for crappie mid winter ....note the drop offs ...also note where the fish spawn this time of year ....then draw a line to main basin ...that will be the travel route ...fall into winter into basin then winter into spring back to bay/spawning area....also on large flats look for any depressions ...these will hold fish in bad weather now and can hold fish mid winter ...also locate sticky/muddy bottom for perch on the flats ...the sticky bottom holds all types of larva that perch will root up during winter.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2016, 01:37 PM »
The lake I fish is fairly small, but has several access areas.  During open water season in the boat, I try to mark(GPS)as many underwater anomalies as I can within easy walking distance of these winter access areas; tree limbs, stumps, rock piles, shallow to deep water transitions, points, etc.  I'm really not looking for fish at this time, I'm more looking for structure that will hold fish in the winter, especially in deeper water.  Before ice fishing season, I'll transfer the GPS location data with descriptions of the structure to my phone via an App(there are a gazillion apps that can do this) and use my phone to locate the structure I marked in the boat.  I use an external GPS receiver in conjunction with my phone via bluetooth which makes my phone's GPS much more accurate.  Once the ice is on, I can get right on top of the structure I located on the open water.  Hope this helps.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2016, 09:14 PM »
took a rubber raft out scouting yesterday to a place I've been going too for 10 years and learned a lot of new in just 3 hrs.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2016, 08:51 AM »
mid depth weeds...especially taller stands as they tend to stay green longer into winter

Catchin' Fish

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2016, 10:17 AM »
marknixon what app do you use to transfer the data?  also what do you guys use to store the data?  I personally can mark the spots on the fish finder in my boat but I wouldn't want to load that up with a million spots

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2016, 02:08 PM »
marknixon what app do you use to transfer the data?  also what do you guys use to store the data?  I personally can mark the spots on the fish finder in my boat but I wouldn't want to load that up with a million spots

I have an iPhone and the App I use is literally called "Free GPS."  I have an HB 898c SI on the boat.  I mark spots all spring and summer as I run across them, then I manually transfer the ones I want to try on the ice  to the Free GPS App on my phone.  It's a pita to transfer GPS coordinates manually, but we're not talking more than a couple of dozen spots or so, so its doable.  I use this:  http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Universal-Bluetooth/dp/B006M49G80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455635504&sr=8-1&keywords=dual+gps to make my phone's GPS much more accurate.  Without Wifi and/or cell service, your phone's GPS is about worthless.  I've found this device to be very accurate when you need to be right on top of a brush pile, not 30 feet off to one side of it or the other for example.  I also use my iPhone for my Fishphone's camera moniter, so I carry a portable 16,000mAh Externa Battery Pack that I use to keep my phone's battery charged while on the ice using GPS and the camera.

Edit to Add:  I just realized we misunderstood each other.  I don't use an App to acually transfer the GPS data from my 898 to my phone.  I have to do that manually.  Sorry for the confusion and poor wording in my original comment!
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2016, 05:56 AM »

You could always get a cheap/low end hand held unit while your out in the boat to mark your spots ...not  dynamic to view but will get you there ...The Naviocs app is also an option for your phone but can use up a lot of power on the ice while in use. I have a Garmin Etrex 20 with a topo chip ...with Garmin Base Camp (see website) you can make custom maps via Goggle and then import them into some/most Garmin units .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.