Author Topic: Using Vex for open water questions  (Read 1489 times)

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Using Vex for open water questions
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:09 PM »
Doing some open water fishing with my son and really miss the little blinking lights. Has anyone bought the high speed transducer and fished open water with the vex. I am thinking the high speed so we can troll around and mark fish, we only have a little 16' boat with a 6 hp so high speed is only about 6 mph.

Thanks for any info or ideas on this one, we miss ice fishing we had a blast this year

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Using Vex for open water questions
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 01:39 AM »
Check Vexilar website and YouTube.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 09:47 AM »
I used my Vex FL-8 as a bow mount on open water for years. The thing that will throw you is that there's lots of "flickering" just due to movement and it will take some time for you to learn how to read while moving. I always found it valuable to find depth, drop-offs, weeds, rocks or cribs. From there you could anchor and use it a little more conventionally though it will never be perfectly still like in an ice hole.

Heck, with your 16' with that 6 hp you could probably get away using the iceducer on a homemade mount just to get an idea before you spend $80 on the HS version. Really very much the same except for the more streamlined design and different cone angle.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 10:17 AM »
Put a little water in the back of your boat and place the transducer in the water where there are no rivets. There should be no strakes or anything under it. Some say you can put the transducer in a plastic bag with water in it and set it on the bottom of the boat. I have never tried the bag.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 09:47 PM »
Thanks guys for replies, I called Vexilar today and he said it would be good for locating structure and drop offs also. I was thinking it would help mark fish. He suggested going with the 12 deg high speed transducer. My other fear is that I will hurt or screw up my vexilar, this is the most money I have spent on fishing equipment but glad I purchased because it really helped with my son catching fish on the ice.

Scheels sells a lowrance fish finder for $100 and I would not be afraid to take it in the boat. Never thought I would miss ice fishing but I do, we had good times in the ice hut this year catching fish.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 10:05 PM »
Just found this video, has me thinking

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 12:30 AM »
Thanks guys for replies, I called Vexilar today and he said it would be good for locating structure and drop offs also. I was thinking it would help mark fish. He suggested going with the 12 deg high speed transducer. My other fear is that I will hurt or screw up my vexilar, this is the most money I have spent on fishing equipment but glad I purchased because it really helped with my son catching fish on the ice.

Scheels sells a lowrance fish finder for $100 and I would not be afraid to take it in the boat. Never thought I would miss ice fishing but I do, we had good times in the ice hut this year catching fish.

It will not (I repeat will not mess up your head unit. I promise! Just don't let it go overboard..... ::)

Honest man, Vex will tell you to buy a HS 'ducer because "they" want you to buy one, but you can_get_by with the one you have. Marking fish at speed is kind of a crap shoot no matter what locator you have. Best bet for a flasher is to fish known areas and fine tune the location within those areas.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 08:46 AM »

The difference between an Iceducer and a high speed transducer is the shape and the high speed transducer comes with a mount. Using your Vex in a boat won't harm it. At one time I had a sonar with a suction cup transducer mount which kept falling off of the transom a high speed so I  stuck it to the transom inside of the boat with about 1/4" clearance from the bottom. I would pour enough water in the back of the boat to keep the transfucer wet and I  had great results. Years ago sonar manufacturers didn't have iceducers and we modified  high speed transducers for use on the ice.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 10:12 PM »
It worked, I cut a piece of wood and made a notch for the cable with stopper. Hung it over the side of boat, we did not have much luck until we moved closer to shore. Had some wind to deal with but then we started fishing right under the ducer, I actually caught some crappie like I was ice fishing. My son started catching some but I had to direct him where to place jig we could not both see the screen. We caught 15 fish tonight some were nice size. We fished till dark. It was a little interesting as the screen would flicker often but I could mark fish for sure.

Thanks guys for help and replies.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Way to go!! ;D

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 08:57 PM »
One last report, went out this am and I caught a monster crappie for me. It was 14" long, I was pretty excited as it came up

Thinking about using ice fishing pole to fish over edge of boat, my pole is to long and need to hold it to my side

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 09:02 AM »
Have done that and it is a blast!
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 01:49 PM »
I use ice rods when still fishing for Perch. Works well for dropping a bait right below the transducer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.