Author Topic: Helix 5 on ice?  (Read 970 times)

Offline MTredkennels97

• IceShanty Rookie
Helix 5 on ice?
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:25 PM »
How is it? Just bought one for my boat and was thinking I might sell my Marcum and just get an ice transducer for the Helix 5. I like the Marcum a lot but can't see the point in having it if the other works good. I can use the Helix 12 months a year plus it has GPS. Just curious who has used the Helix 5 and how they like it. Thanks.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Helix 5 on ice?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 07:23 PM »
I've used "open water" locators on hard water for years. I've been on a Lowrance m68c for awhile and love it for it's portability, resolution, screen options and (especially) the integrated GPS. I'ts perfect to have the locator/GPS on the boat and mark spots that I can walk/drive to on hard water. Never be w/o GPS again.

Now.... I just bought into a 1st gen 'Bird with side/down imaging. It's not as portable (it's an 8), but the prospect of side find/image on ice is intriguing and suits very much my open water excursions. I really wanted a 7 for better portability but the price was just too good to pass up.

That said, I had a Lowrance HDS 5 I was going to use. Had it all set and ready to roll but the side deal changed everything.....

Short answer: Yes. It will work very well and you will likely never look back.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline MTredkennels97

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 01:18 AM »
Thanks for the input. Just makes sense. I can use it on my boat all spring, summer, and fall and then plug in the ice transducer and use it all winter too. The gps will be great to mark spots like you said and with a card in the unit I'll have lake contour maps as well. Mine is just down imaging and sonar with gps. No side imaging. By the time ice is back on I'll be very familiar with it and excited to try it ice fishing.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 02:25 PM »
I used my 7 this winter and it was NICE
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.