Author Topic: New one man flip over shelter for 2016-17  (Read 7238 times)

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
New one man flip over shelter for 2016-17
« on: May 10, 2016, 08:29 PM »
Hello out there, now that the ice season has come to an end I'm looking into the next season. I'm looking to replace my frabill recon deluxe and upgrade to a new one man flip. I'm just looking for some input for what's out there. I'm considering all the major brands clam,frabill and otter. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks big fish

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: New one man flip over shelter for 2016-17
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 06:11 AM »
Best advice I can give you is to go to each manufacturers website...YouTube and Face Book  sites ...after seeing whats out there .. use the Ice Shanty search for each particular make/model ...lota new innovative design features came into production in the last couple of years ...side entry...hub/flip combos ...Otter one man .2016/2017 models will start being "leaked" around August or September ...deals are few and far between during the Spring/Summer but you can come across some ...beware some are clearance and return policies vary so buyers remorse may come into play . Good Luck with your search.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 09:05 AM »
Thanks for the info I will do some more research and make an educated decision before the season.

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 01:34 PM »
I highly recommend the otter
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 04:18 AM »
depends how you travel pulling it or dragging by a machine atv etc.

Offline bigfish54

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for this!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 08:28 PM »
Definitely dragging  :flex:

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 10:35 PM »
if your dragging it by yourself the height of it folded down and the weight should be considered. Height should be low for trunks and clearance for smaller trucks with lids. Weight goes from less than 20 lbs. to near a 100 lbs. if you go with a heavy one add a smitty sled to lift it up off the ice for dragging ease and saving wear and tear on the sled. width is next consideration and thermal top or not. then seat ? and mods of course.       good luck with whatever you get they are  nice quick and mobile

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2016, 04:40 AM »
All I can say is don't jump then gun on getting a new house as there is going to be new models coming out alone with the ones already on the market. I will give you more info after August 25th as to what is new this year from Clam in one man houses but can't say anything until then.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2016, 05:01 AM »
no matter what one you get, make it a thermal top. It adds a little weight but you will be happy you have it. If you have clear ice or just a little snow, the added weight won't be a factor. If there's more snow and it drags you down, put it on a smitty and pull away!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2016, 09:49 AM »
many of us enjoy shappells fx100. new and improved last season after another company bought them. lightest there is and heavy duty 600d fabric. 37#'s, used to be 28#. they made the sled much thicker because it was collapsing in the corners and the new sliding bench seat uses a big/heavy conduit. the seams have been closed up too, but not water proof.
i am on my second and sold my first one (180$ used) to get the upgraded version last season. would buy another if they can make it even better.

here's the whats new on clam so far
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=333251.msg3529312;topicseen#new

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2016, 11:28 AM »
If clam makes the XL4000T hub in black they will hit a home run.  We've been waiting for a portable spear house with limited light.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2016, 12:30 PM »
I really like my Eskimo Wide One. They have some nice hub units also.

http://www.geteskimo.com/wide1-inferno-flip-style-shelter

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2016, 10:50 AM »
I really like my Eskimo Wide One. They have some nice hub units also.

http://www.geteskimo.com/wide1-inferno-flip-style-shelter

I'd 2nd this as a great option, from experience. Mine went with every trip last season (ATV pulled about 80% of the time - drug the other 20% for reference). I don't have any complaints. Very room, much warmer than expected with insulated fabric, and the seat was comfy for me when sitting in them in the store which led to purchase.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2016, 12:08 PM »
I've owned a few different 1 man shelters and would definitely vote for the insulated fabric.  You add a little weight but they are really nice on a windy day.  If you are in a smaller 1 man shack and the sides are whipping and flapping, it can get really obnoxious inside the shack.  Insulated fabric takes care of that and of course adds some heat retention too.  I personally have a Clam Big Mouth which is Clam's version of the Eskimo Wide 1 and I've really been happy with it. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Aug 15, 2016, 02:12 PM »

I agree completely about the thermal units l I have 2 thermal , an 08 , X2 which 2 years I ordered a thermal top for it , and a Kenai pro thermal , the new Kenai thermal is black , I purchased 1 last year which is the  fractured ice model and I'm very pleased with it ,

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 15, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Last fall I bought a Frabil Recruit and have no regrets. Roomy, full thermal and pretty comfortable seating. I just wish someone would make a quality one-man model tall enough to stand up in. Have owned Clam, Shappell, Otter and a couple off brands I prefer the Frabil. Last one was an Otter cabin with thermal top which did nothing to minimize dripping and was very heavy.  Good quality, but like dragging a box of rocks around. Good luck with your decision.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Aug 15, 2016, 03:22 PM »
Last fall I bought a Frabil Recruit and have no regrets. Roomy, full thermal and pretty comfortable seating. I just wish someone would make a quality one-man model tall enough to stand up in. Have owned Clam, Shappell, Otter and a couple off brands I prefer the Frabil. Last one was an Otter cabin with thermal top which did nothing to minimize dripping and was very heavy.  Good quality, but like dragging a box of rocks around. Good luck with your decision.

Is there a wind break position on your recruit ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 15, 2016, 04:15 PM »
No windbreak position.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #18 on: Aug 16, 2016, 12:26 PM »

The only downside to a unit this tall would be that it would definitely catch the wind.  With a pretty small footprint and a lot of wind surface, you start asking for trouble.  I find in my 1 man that if I need to stand up, it is probably time to move anyways.  That's the beauty of these small shacks, you flip them open and move to the next spot very easily.  Just make sure that you get one with a door.  Nothing worse than getting yourself all banked in and then you have to flip open to get out.  The door is key.  I think most all of them have a door now, but I wouldn't buy one that didn't have a door.  I think at one time I owned a Frabill Recon and had a door sewn into it. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Aug 16, 2016, 12:52 PM »
The only downside to a unit this tall would be that it would definitely catch the wind.  With a pretty small footprint and a lot of wind surface, you start asking for trouble.  I find in my 1 man that if I need to stand up, it is probably time to move anyways.  That's the beauty of these small shacks, you flip them open and move to the next spot very easily.  Just make sure that you get one with a door.  Nothing worse than getting yourself all banked in and then you have to flip open to get out.  The door is key.  I think most all of them have a door now, but I wouldn't buy one that didn't have a door.  I think at one time I owned a Frabill Recon and had a door sewn into it.
Don't forget all the added weight added to it just to be able to stand up.

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Aug 16, 2016, 04:07 PM »
Pretty much any structure will catch wind and a couple inches would make little difference in the amount of wind caught or the weight. When I was young sitting in an original Clam scout for hours was not a problem, but as age gets the better of me a stretch once in a while is needed. I totally agree the small shacks are great for mobility. That little scout was great for packing up and moving quickly. When moving that often I found little need for a door as I never banked it. So far no perfect shack for all people or conditions, but they are working on it.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Aug 18, 2016, 05:42 AM »
At 60 i have some issues with my back , and a  stretch is needed , part of the problem is the height of the seat ,if its to low causes one to hump over, , and making anchors is simple and inexpensive,  I spend 40  to 50 hours a week on the ice so comfort and durability are at the top of my list , but of course I'm not very tall at 5'9 so shacks like the Kenai pro meets my needs in many ways , so when shopping for shacks I need to set in them and give them a hard look ,I'm not brand loyal over the years I have also owned frabils , and I think otter makes a fine product , in my area those are the top 3 sellers , and with a smitty sled weight really isn't an issue , but i do try and keep my walk out under  a mile these days  ;)

Offline Jeffh129

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Aug 21, 2016, 04:26 PM »
I too am loving my Shappell FX 100. Lightest single man out there at 37 pounds. The front section is flaired out so it's wider than most in the actual fishing area.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Aug 21, 2016, 04:49 PM »
I would wait until the St. Paul or Milwaukee Ice fishing shows.   Go see the new models and find something you like.  It's hard to beat getting the chance to see, handle, and sit in one before making a purchase. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Team_Reload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Aug 21, 2016, 05:18 PM »
I too am loving my Shappell FX 100. Lightest single man out there at 37 pounds. The front section is flaired out so it's wider than most in the actual fishing area.

Clam will have a new 1 man flip over that is less than that once the 25th of this month comes

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Aug 21, 2016, 06:50 PM »
 few extra lbs isn't really a big deal, when a smitty sled makes things so much easier, here is one of mine, aluminum frame and HDPE skis, my other one is wood frame and plain ol wooden skis, there is a whole thread on them , started by SMITTY , sorry guys for some reason on the computer the pic is fine but on the phones its upside down lol   

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Aug 22, 2016, 09:54 AM »
few extra lbs isn't really a big deal

I must disagree. No matter what kinda smitty you use, what about deep snow? Or if ya gotta pull it up a hill to get to the lake?  Aint flat out here in Colorado. Also have altitude to deal with. Pulling a heavy flip-over thru knee deep snow at 8000 ft. elevation is gonna suck.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Aug 22, 2016, 03:54 PM »
Well slayer fish I guess your the exception to the rule , first I most likely would pass out at 8,000', but far as dragging through deep snow , deepest I have drag it through was around 20"of snow with 5" of slush underneath and it saved my butt ,I drag a lot of crap out , it might help at least some of us older gents that don't have to mountain goat to their spots  ;) :tipup:

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Aug 22, 2016, 06:47 PM »
Clam will have a new 1 man flip over that is less than that once the 25th of this month comes

I've already seen it.. You have to add your own seat. The sides of the sled taper down towards the back which is really low, looked like 5 inches at best..

I doubt the tarp will be 600 for the top and sides like the FX100, and I don't think it has a door either..

Seems like a lot of sacrifices to end up a couple pounds lighter, and I'm sure it will cost plenty more than the FX100 too...

Just my thoughts...

<°)))>{

Offline Team_Reload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Aug 22, 2016, 07:39 PM »
I've already seen it.. You have to add your own seat. The sides of the sled taper down towards the back which is really low, looked like 5 inches at best..

Original price I seen before the page was taken down was $249. Don't remember fabric weight..

I doubt the tarp will be 600 for the top and sides like the FX100, and I don't think it has a door either..

Seems like a lot of sacrifices to end up a couple pounds lighter, and I'm sure it will cost plenty more than the FX100 too...

Just my thoughts...

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.