Author Topic: My 7x9 shanty build  (Read 7896 times)

Offline SamBx222

• IceShanty Rookie
My 7x9 shanty build
« on: May 07, 2016, 07:11 AM »
Hello everyone,

Had some time last fall and decided to build a new shanty with my dad. First we've though we could save his old one he had built when he was my age in early 80's. The floor was in bad shape after having sit for 20+ years in the wood. Then decided to build a replica of it, same size as the old one and same kind of shanty. The major difference between both is the height being 6'' taller on the new one. 95% of the stuff we've used was new. Total cost is established at 650$ (Cdn).

The floor and skis are made of 2''x4'' with 3/4'' thick veneer on it. Walls and roof are made of 1''x3'' and they are covered by a 3/8'' veneer to keep it light as possible. Inside insulation is 2'' thk Isolofoam and I've added floor insulation 2 weeks ago, same thickness.

While I was building my shanty one of my coworker posted a small stove (with a window on the front door) for sale and I got it for 80$. My father purchased old thermos windows for 40$. At first we've installed only two then since we were waiting for snow (really bad winter over here) we installed a third one on the left side and 1 week later we decided to install the last one on the right side. This allow us to install our tip up on 3 sides and watch them from inside.

Here are some pictures of the build which took place inside my father heated garage then it was all dismantled and moved to the cottage:

Offline SamBx222

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: My 7x9 shanty build
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 07:29 AM »
First day outside. Fully assembled and insulated.

There's one hole on each side of the stove for inside fishing when it's too cold outside.

Inside view.

The bench and upper shelf are the original from the old shanty.

Then we've finally installed it on the lake right in front of the cottage in mid January. We've caught one nice 20'' landlocked salmon on the first day and we've caught a 30'' pike in mid march and 80 yellow perchs for the whole winter . That was our first season so far... We knew ice fishing was hard in our area but we are still happy of our first season. Had great time with my dad and family came a couple of time. Some times we where up to 15-20 people at the shanty! We've used our Ski-doo Expedition and my Arctic Cat M8 to move it around.

A picture showing the old shanty (only picture we have of it on the lake) and my landlocked I've caught.

Thanks for reading.

BTW sorry if it sounds weird some times, I'm not very good at english. I've learned by myself over the last couple of years...

SamB

Offline WarBonnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 04:47 PM »
     Very good Sam, nice shack, now to wait for ICE !!   ;D            WB

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 03:33 AM »
Thank you for posting the photos of your shanty build SamBx222 . Nice work may your family, dad and you make many good memories fishing from the shanty .
Steve

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 05:21 AM »
Thanks for sharing your build and story with us Sam, you guys did a great job...and welcome to the Shanty!   :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 06:33 AM »
Don't worry about your English Sam!! You're doing very well!! Thanks for posting!! You can practice your English skills on us anytime!!  :thumbsup: ;)2
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline SamBx222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 11:34 AM »
Thank you guys.  ;)

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 07:13 PM »
1st off, very nice shanty. I have a question, did you insulate the floor? If not, did you notice heat loss through it? Sorry, I am planning and researching for my own shack this fall.
I always C & R Lakers and Rainbows

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 08:07 PM »
1st off, very nice shanty. I have a question, did you insulate the floor? If not, did you notice heat loss through it? Sorry, I am planning and researching for my own shack this fall.

Insulating the floor would be a good thing. If you're heating with a wood stove you might not notice much of a difference, but the big payback is that the fishing holes in the shack don't ice over very fast between fishing trips. Putting big snow banks (at least 2 feet in width) around the shack makes a big difference too.
That is what I did this past winter and I didn't have to auger out the shack holes at all. The ice chisel was all that was needed to ream out the little ice that had built up.

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 08:49 PM »
Yeah, my initial plan was to insulate the floor. Where I will be fishing it routinely gets in the -20/-30 F range. I appreciate the advice!
I always C & R Lakers and Rainbows

Offline SamBx222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2016, 05:08 AM »
The floor wasn't insulated at all. My idea was to put some 2'' foam underneath it but my father told me his old shanty haven't any floor insulation and it was still pretty warm inside. But 1 month ago someone in my family was doing construction and they had plenty of letfover strips of 2'' foam so I added insulation now.

Last winter we had strong winds coming from the west and it was very cold (-30 for sure) and even if my stove was running strong, my holes were still freezing inside the shanty. Probably not enough snow around the bottom of the shanty (lake was all ice, I used to haul my snow from the shore with my snowmobile)

Offline SamBx222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2016, 07:07 PM »
Hello Folks,

Some news from my shanty:

Freshly painted in dark green. Seems like the summer was hard on the paint since it was sitting underneath a big pine.

We've build a new hitch which is stronger than both eye bolts screwed on both skis. The external hitch can be removed easily and there's even two trailer tongue, one for the ATV or cars using a 1''7/8 ball coupler and the other one is for snowmobiles.

Next thing to be done : I've purchased LED light strip (15 feet) so I will install it inside the shanty just under the ceiling. It will use less electricity provided by a small Smart battery.

I will try to make two self jigging device for both hole inside the shanty. What I'm looking for is a small 12v motor that can basically jig itself using different jigging pattern and also allow us to see if there's a hit by flashing a light and beeping at the same time. That would be perfect for night fishing.

Also since the floor is always cold a lot I will probably install a small fan with a pipe which will take hot air at the top and send it back on the floor.

Any other things you've done on your shanty I've forgot?

Here's a picture showing the view I have when I sleep in my shanty. It only happened a couple nights last winter since we got bad weather and I wasn't prepared enough. I will find a nice sleeping bag and maybe add either a propane heater or electric heater. The wooden stove can't deliver enough heat on a long period without needing to add firewood.

And this is a picture from the old 34 years shanty that we've scrapped and burn two weeks ago. This picture is probably 4 years old.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2016, 07:36 PM »
I love those vintage Arctic Cats!
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2016, 07:44 PM »
That's a good lookin shanty. 

Offline SamBx222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2017, 02:56 PM »
I love those vintage Arctic Cats!

I love them too. Used to have many of these when I was younger. Only stuck with my El tigrés now.  ;)

Offline SamBx222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Apr 01, 2017, 03:19 PM »
So ice fishing season is closed now.

Overall a good year at the shanty. I was fishing alone for most of the week-ends and I caught over a hundred perch but only a few keepers. Last sunday a couple hours before we took the shanty off the ice we caught a decent 30'' pike that we put back in the water. A great way to end the season.

My biggest surprise this year was to catch about 15 smelts. Never caught them before in my area of the lake and never heard of someone catching them too. It's a good thing since ouananiche love them too and I hope to catch more of them in the next years.

Here are random pictures from this season:

So what's next with the shanty? Improvements over and over again! I will keep you posted.

Offline SamBx222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2017, 10:54 AM »
Good morning Guys,

Here are some improvements I did in the last couple weeks:

-Painted the inside door all white

-Installed a fifth window at the rear of the shanty so I can fish on all sides now.

-Installed a LED strip underneath the shelf with remote control and many different colors available.

I am now working on a automatic jigging system that I can install on my inside fishing trap. Lazy fisherman you know :)

Have a nice day!

CowDawg

« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2017, 08:30 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2017, 12:21 PM »
Nice shack!

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 12, 2017, 01:39 PM »
very nice built, and nice planning inside

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Oh No, Labatts 50, that is soooo wrong.

Offline SamBx222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2017, 03:18 PM »
Thanks Guys.

Fisherman 1, what's wrong with drinking 50's? I have Black Label and Canadian too.

Offline Pmackay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2017, 06:39 PM »
very well built shack! what do you use to run the lights?

Offline SamBx222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:17 PM »
A car battery out of a Smart. Last year I didn't had to recharge it other than using a small solar panel (roughly 3'' x 10'').

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:19 AM »
just wondering how well it pulls on the ice. is it light enough to pull with a snowmachine?

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:26 AM »
very nice shack

Offline SamBx222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2017, 01:51 PM »
just wondering how well it pulls on the ice. is it light enough to pull with a snowmachine?

Hello Matt,

Yes. Most of the time we haul it with our Ski-doo Expedition 550f without studs on the track. In heavy snow if one is not enough I can add many other sleds I own. 

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2017, 03:25 PM »
Hello Matt,

Yes. Most of the time we haul it with our Ski-doo Expedition 550f without studs on the track. In heavy snow if one is not enough I can add many other sleds I own.

Thanks for the reply. Been looking at similar designs and plan on moving with a snowmobile as well.  Thanks again, tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.