Author Topic: I was bored so I started a new project  (Read 803 times)

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was bored so I started a new project
« on: May 06, 2016, 12:08 PM »
It is a long way away from the ice fishing season, so I decided to kill some time by starting up a new project. I already have one flasher, but whenever I go out with either my grandpa or my dad there is only one flasher available. They had never really gotten into ice fishing, and I like to have the flasher to locate the fish then drill a hole next to mine for them to fish in. To me, it seems like they enjoy ice fishing more when they can see what is going on below the ice. So, I started looking for a back up flasher or sonar that I could use when they come with me. Craigslist had the usual used flashers for $150 and up, and I don't really have that amount of cash for a backup flasher. So, I ended up finding a used Lowrance X102c on craigslist for $50 with a brand new transducer! It was color, had split screen zoom, and a flasher graph option! what more could I need? All that I had to do was modify it to fit my needs. The first task was to find a carrying case/ base to mount the finder on. My parents had this little blue cooler in their garage that I used to use for a couple of drinks during baseball games. It wasn't being used anymore, and was compact enough to do the job. A cut out notch in the back for the power and transducer cord, along with 2 holes on top for the mount and a hole in the front for the transducer to come through and I was set. Not sure if I am going to use a swim noodle or leave as is for the transducer cord similar to a marcum arm. A couple of zip ties and a loop in the cord will allow it to hang straight up and down in the hole. So, find a cheap used sonar and a small coleman cooler and you will be set, you do not need an ice pack or an ice fishing transducer! Let me know your thoughts on this!

All Packed up!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
Re: I was bored so I started a new project
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Perfect! Great idea, thanks for sharing  @)

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: I was bored so I started a new project
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 01:32 AM »
Think I have the same model cooler  ;D  Where there's a will there's a way.
Bud

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.