Author Topic: news on BPS and Cabelas  (Read 3090 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: news on BPS and Cabelas
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2016, 04:25 AM »
Thank you for posting the link to updated news on this topic rdhammah.
Steve

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2016, 08:34 PM »
I've been watching this with interest. It will be interesting to see what the Justice Dept. has to say about this. There aren't many big players and if two of them become one it just might be "over the line". What BPS (or anyone else) wants isn't necessarily what happens.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2016, 10:56 AM »
This confirms pretty much what I heard from a few Cabela's managers. The store by me in Richfield has reduced its inventory immensely.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2016, 11:15 AM »
I hope this doesn't happen because I like Cabela's a lot more than Bass Pro and beyond that when these acquisitions occur many times the new owners run the acquired business into the ground or out of business.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2016, 02:06 PM »
I hope this doesn't happen because I like Cabela's a lot more than Bass Pro and beyond that when these acquisitions occur many times the new owners run the acquired business into the ground or out of business.

x2
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2016, 04:33 PM »
The government will straighten it out. They did such a great job with the break up of the Bell System. ::)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2016, 08:06 PM »
The government will straighten it out. They did such a great job with the break up of the Bell System. ::)

Right dawg, just like Terminator 3, right? Yeah, my confidence in anything government runs into negative numbers. Despite that, the Justice Dept. does keep an eye on the pieces of the pie and will nix any piece that looks to be too big.

To other comments: BPS would be worldly wise in maintaining the brand as is to cater the recognition in the Midwest where their recognition is weaker. Keep the management as is and gradually integrate the acquisition into BPS. My 2.5 cents.....

/m

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2016, 03:25 PM »
Better goggle up Goldman and Sachs bail out , hmm only 10 billion

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2016, 03:33 PM »

:clap: :roflmao: :clap: :roflmao: :clap: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:   

:thumbsup:  That's a good one!!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2016, 09:20 AM »
I thought Cabelas was mostly interested in getting rid of their credit card division and keep the stores. Maybe things have changed. I haven't been following the process.

Offline Dr Huxtable

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 01:23 AM »
I thought Cabelas was mostly interested in getting rid of their credit card division and keep the stores. Maybe things have changed. I haven't been following the process.

that can't be right.  private credit cards are insane profit for these companies

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 08:36 AM »
that can't be right.  private credit cards are insane profit for these companies
I guess the New York Post was wrong on 1/21/2016 when they reported that Cabela's wants to sell the ownership of its highly profitable credit card operation first while keeping the profit stream. This should make the brick and mortar part easier to sell at a later date. Time will tell.  ;)

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 08:26 PM »
I have never been to a BPS as there are none close but I have ordered from them for over 25 years. Never a problem. The selection is good and brand name stuff is aplenty. I can't say that for Cabelas. When Cabelas first opened in WV I would say the ratio of Cabelas brand to brand name was 25 to 75. That has entirely flipped. Everything you look at says cabelas on it. That's fine if you don't care but if you are looking for something in particular forget it. They don't keep a rod in their retail over $100. You got to get it from the mail order across the street and pay for it before you see it. They started out selling brand name quality stuff to people who wanted the good stuff but migrated into selling average to below average goods to a bigger crowd. Good business sense I guess but don't forget what got you there. I know if you pay attention to whoever makes their goods you could save yourself some money and still get reliable goods but I for one am tired of looking at everything from shoes to hats, rods, reels, etc with the cabelas name on it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 11:48 AM »
I can spend more than $500 online for a rod at Cabela's. Don't know why someone would though. Many nice rods that are cheaper. Take a look at Diawa Steez rods.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 09:51 AM »
I guess the New York Post was wrong on 1/21/2016 when they reported that Cabela's wants to sell the ownership of its highly profitable credit card operation first while keeping the profit stream. This should make the brick and mortar part easier to sell at a later date. Time will tell.  ;)

I recall have read that article or a similar one except the word I remember was "separate", not sell. At that time I presumed they were feeling the threat of an unwanted sale and were trying to keep the profit stream in the event they had to let the retail part go.

Offline J2theD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 11:56 AM »
For whatever its worth, I talked to a manager at the local Cabela's store and he was told that if/when the sale goes through, consumers shouldn't notice many if any differences....

Again, take this for what its worth...
I always C & R Lakers and Rainbows

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 01:00 PM »
Love it or hate it, it is something to talk about while the water is soft.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.