Author Topic: Floating restrictions  (Read 1705 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Floating restrictions
« on: Apr 14, 2016, 10:09 AM »
I know this is not ice related but I was wondering what others opion's might be on this?

http://www.localnews8.com/news/Franklin-County-gives-update-on-invasive-species-issue/39014280

For any of us that use boats, pontoons or tubes this could really close things down. It also appears that Deep creek irrigation has banned anything that floats in deep creek reservoir. Since the required invasive sticker regulation I quit hauling my boat into Idaho but did occasionally take my toon. Looks as if that's off the table for now on certain waters. On a good note Icefishing may improve a bit
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Floating restrictions
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2016, 11:13 AM »
Random thoughts:

First, it is a real BUMMER.   >:(

I'm glad to see they didn't cut off access from anything that floats.

I am surprised that the number of reservoirs with motor restrictions is low.  Probably an irrigation company-specific thing with more to follow.

I understand and appreciate the restrictions on "ballast" boats, but that is a bummer for the wake boarders.

I think it might bring the threat further North, sooner than would have happened otherwise, to lakes where we have never had inspection stations.  One of our standing jokes North of the border is that Idaho is Utah's biggest state park.   No telling whether this pushes the traffic further North or in other directions.

This will make Twin Lakes even more unbearably crowded.

I also think that the measures in place at the border, etc. are not sufficient to stop an apathetic or ill-intentioned boater from bringing mussels into the state on a boat.  But it's like how locks are to keep honest people out.

Where did you get the Deep Creek info?  We had an excellent boating season on Deep Creek last year and that will really stink.  I stopped by there about two weeks ago and there were two floating craft on the water.

I keep thinking we need more scientific brainpower working on ways to kill only these mollusks.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2016, 12:40 PM »
Big bummer for sure Steve, I totally agree that more can be done. What though is the question and at what cost? When does the price of intervention supersede the price of clean up when everything gets clogged up for the water companies and a food source gets depleted for the fish? The info I came across for deep creek was from another fishing site but I could not find any info online to verify it, which is why I stated it as "appears". I'm sure unless they really strictly enforce this rule there will always be people taking boats onto the waters listed and claim the "I didn't know" excuse. Its likely they'll have to barricade in the boat ramps or something. As for the wakeboarders/ballast tank boats there is no love lost for me on that one. I battle them every summer up here at pineview and have called the cops on them numerous times to report them hauling butt with in spitting distance of me when I'm just trolling along. My bow gets swamped at least 3-5 times a summer. But its just how it goes if I want to chase the muskies
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2016, 07:22 AM »
Some more rumors but I just read that the Twin Lakes canal company is going to keep their reservoirs CLOSED totally. Now this is just 2nd hand info read on the WWW for now. I really don't like the way this is going. CRAZY

I found this on another site, Man this is really not looking good. I believe its going to take a lot more than just local/state agencies to take work on this issue

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/leaping-out-of-the-lakes-invasive-mussels-spread-across-america-b99297535z1-267015281.html

They need to start planting redear sunfish in infected waters to start munching away at them. The world record one from havasu is huge (17in 5.78lbs) man would it be crazy to catch a sunfish this big

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2016, 08:47 AM »
My buddy was at Deep Creek yesterday.  There were two boats on the water and no new signage of any kind.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2016, 05:34 AM »
the people here have to clean after pulling out been that way for a while but it still didn't stop the critters from getting into the lake, will have to see what damage is done the next few years.   

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2016, 11:15 AM »
Just spoke with the chairman of the Deep Creek Irrigation Company board.  He confirmed that their current restriction is no floating anything on the water.  They plan to to gate the road at the dam.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2016, 04:03 PM »
Sad to think this is probably going to happen all over  :'(
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 04:25 PM »

This will make Twin Lakes even more unbearably crowded.

actually, twin lakes has been closed to any watercraft without an inspection certificate. last year they were doing inspections at the lake itself, but from what i've gathered they've moved the inspection station to one of the nearby towns or something. i'm expecting the lake to be a lot less crowded, and DEFINITELY with fewer water skiers.

frankly, i'm okay with this. i haven't had any good experiences with water skiers at twin lakes; the largest boat i have is a 14' jon boat, so while a little bit of wake is manageable, there have been more than a few occasions where boaters have been either totally ignorant of, or outright malicious towards me and my family.

the good news is, if you do a little research and get your boat checked regularly, most places will be open to you. it's a bit disappointing about deep creek, but it's really not the end of the world. once they figure out a way to beneficially combat these invasive species, i'm sure boating will open up again. until then, go explore some new places to fish! there are plenty of places around Idaho if you take the time to look.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.