Author Topic: Best Camera  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
Best Camera
« on: Apr 06, 2016, 09:16 AM »
I am looking at buying a camera for next season.  I am wondering what the best one is for my use.   I want to use the monitor that comes with it but also have a "video out" feature that will go to a dvr or a larger tv screen.

I am up on security cameras but know nothing about underwater cameras.  I am hoping not to spend more than $400.  Less is better.

Thanks
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Best Camera
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2016, 09:37 AM »
do you want it for scouting or sitting still and watching fish? being you said you want it on a big tv, it sounds like you want a marcum.

marcum has video out on the yellow rca port. it has a compass on it and water temp too.

i watched a guy use his aqua-vu and it was fast to deploy and fast to stow away after he found fish with it. it's tiny and fits in a coat pocket.

i own a lx9 that has camera, but i might get a second one and it would be the aqua-vu for fast/easy deployment and small size to have in a pocket. they are so small, you have to make a mount to hold it if you want to try to fish and use it at the same time. kinda like the size of a smart phone.
so i'll use the marcum for that type of fishing.

the other factor is the lights they use for low/no light. aqua-vu uses infrared and marcum uses bright white leds. when you use lights, they attract plankton tho.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2016, 10:46 AM »
I have two Aqua Vu Micros   a 5 and a Plus both have DVRs.. the Plus is great for scouting while the 5 is great flip over shelter camera ...I mount mine via a GoPro jaws mount to my hoop pole

Both are light ...compact ...self contained battery ...easy to deploy ..comes with a RCA/USB out cable to place on a larger screen/monitor.

Vexilar makes some nice cameras and has an add on to record for less then $100

Marcum has some nice versions too ...but other than the LX9 combo no means to record that isn't cumbersome/bulky.

I advise you to locate some YouTube videos from ice fisherman with each cameras/manufacturers  in real use to get a better feel for video quality
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2016, 11:58 AM »
I like my Aqua-Vu Micro Plus DVR, but be aware, the video out works only for the live feed, not for recorded video.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2016, 02:18 PM »
Also have the Aqua Vu  micro5/dvr.   Great, compact unit.  Record feature is great for beers and buds after the fact.  Easy download to computer for later viewing on a larger screen.  The video out for later viewing, instead of only real time, would be a nice improvement.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Good info,  Thanks folks

For the micro or the 5" do any of you attach a "life jacket" to the camera monitor?  I dropped my iPhone down a ice hole last winter would hate to lose a camera...

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2016, 08:30 PM »
I have the Vexilar FishPhone, sells around $250 but you can find them as low as $199 with a bit of searching. It's a Wifi camera that is viewed on any smartphone, tablet, iPad via WiFi. You can record both still and video on your viewing device. You can also have all your fishing buddies hook their smartphone etc. to the FishPhone they just need to download the Free App. (only problem is they will keep wanting you to turn the camera to their jig.) New buddies usually download the app. while on the ice.  Most newer smart phones can connect to a TV via the HDMI cable from your phone. If you have the apple phone you will need to purchast the Apple TV untit. You could also go wireless from your android smartphone to your TV with ROKU or one of the other steraming devices. Last time out I sent a Text Message with video from my wheelhouse while on the lake to a buddy at work within 5 min. after catching the walleye.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2016, 09:19 PM »
Good info,  Thanks folks

For the micro or the 5" do any of you attach a "life jacket" to the camera monitor?  I dropped my iPhone down a ice hole last winter would hate to lose a camera...

No life jacket ...but a good idea I will explore ...just be cognizant ..I usually have it attached/clip to a bucket or other object...they do have a camera type strap on the units ...so it would be EZPZ to add a buoy .   
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2016, 11:37 PM »
I have a Marcum.  Have 825 and LX-9 and older 820.  Also have Aqua vu scout and a mini.  I would choose the Marcum

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2016, 08:23 PM »
Thanks folks.  The FishPhone appeals to me, but I understand the recorded video is not as clear as the video you see live on the screen.  Will keep thinking and looking around.  Also like the Aqua-vu 5

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.