Author Topic: Big question for everyone  (Read 2526 times)

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Big question for everyone
« on: Mar 31, 2016, 12:46 PM »
Hi Saskatchewanians, a big question here..

We've had a cabin north of La Ronge for 25 years. In that time canoeing, hiking, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, building stuff and drinking rum has kept me busy. Fishing has always seemed too boring but at 62 now I'm starting to see the upside to sitting in a warm shack, talking, listening to tunes and drinking rum. 

Last week in the great spring weather sitting on a pail for a total of 10 or so hours jigging produced nothing except a face tan. The tip-up did catch a nice jack and a 29" burbot. Inexperience is the reason because there are jacks, lake trout, walleye, whitefish and burbot there. There is lots of time to think while sitting on a pail - electronics, some research, better gear, maybe a shack. I wonder what is a realistic expectation for an ice-fisherman.

The big question is and I realize there are lots of variables - how many fish per hour per person would you consider reasonable to sustain your interest?

Offline Young Catcher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big question for everyone
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2016, 02:34 PM »

The big question is and I realize there are lots of variables - how many fish per hour per person would you consider reasonable to sustain your interest?

To me,  if no fish at the first two hours, I will leave. If there are action during the first two hours,  I would like to stay longer , and then if one fish per hour after that,  it will keep me staying .

Offline Pollock fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2016, 04:04 PM »
I'm kinda addicted I'll sit out there all day and enjoy the fresh air and have a few drinks all day with or without fish. And I have had many great days on the lake and many skunked days also. But that's just me and yes it drives the wife rite crazy.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2016, 09:34 PM »
Depends if I'm in my hard side shack or if I'm fishing outside/with the portable. Can sit in one spot for a few days in the shack enjoying the wood stove and tunes without loosing interest, but if I'm outside I stay more active and move within an hour if not catching

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2016, 10:14 AM »
When time allows me to get out, I go.  I have different expectations for different lakes.  With my flasher in hand I'll drilll a whack of holes and move around quite a bit.  Mostly likely I was way on the underside of one fish per hour. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  That helps a lot.
The plan for the summer - adjust expectations, learn more general fishing knowledge, buy electronics and find out local lake details, and build a small shack to be pulled with the snowmachine.  I can see it all now...   ;D

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2016, 02:52 PM »
A couple an hour for this guy. If i'm not catching I'm moving non stop until the suns down, then i move once more... haha. As far as sustaining interest, it is NOT in my opinion wasted time to be out on a beautiful lake (especially the ones north of La Ronge) all day and get skunked.

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish their after"
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2016, 08:12 AM »
I hear you mcgee. It's not often in the big open quiet spaces that I'd rather be somewhere else. Probably for many of us just being out there is at least as rewarding as the catching of fish.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2016, 10:36 PM »
if your north of laronge you should be into some great fishing especially if you are remote. We just got back from a remote trip 6hrs north of laronge and the fishing was great

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.