The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Was I fishing illegally?  (Read 1696 times)

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Was I fishing illegally?
« on: Mar 31, 2016, 06:41 AM »
Yesterday was probably my last day on the ice this season. I was on a pond with the S-4 rule, no live bait. I baited four traps with frozen shiners and was jigging my 5th line. I caught a smelt on one of the traps but he was too small to trip the flag. I found it when I was picking up at the end of the day. The dead shiner was still there hooked through the back and a live smelt was lip hooked. If a warden checked the trap would I get a ticket for live bait?

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
Re: Was I fishing illegally?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2016, 07:16 AM »
Yes ;D
Is it ice time yet???

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2016, 07:46 PM »
You were not fishing Illegally, But interpretation is sometimes wrong. it would have  depended on the wardens choice.

Offline HTguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2016, 08:49 PM »
x2

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2016, 07:03 AM »
I know I didn't do anything illegal because there was no intent to use live bait. A warden who is thorough in his quick investigation would have checked my other traps and gone through my gear. He would not have found any other sign of live bait. No live fish or bait bucket. He would have seen the ziplok bag of frozen shiners and dace. I'm on good terms with the wardens in my area. I'll tell them the story when we cross paths.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2016, 07:21 AM »
Not to be a smart ass but why would you tell a member of the warden service more than they ask for?  Not a bash on the wardens and not saying you did anything illegal.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2016, 11:00 AM »
I don't think of the local wardens as my enemies. When I see him there will be small talk and he'll ask what I've been catching. I'll tell him and then the conversation will turn to mountain biking, kayaking or something else. We aren't close friends but we are people who live in the same town and have some common interests.

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2016, 11:54 AM »
Wardens are sworn to enforce the laws.  If the law states no live bait on the hook, whether intentional or unintentional, you are in violation of the law if there is a live bait fish on your hook.  Don't be surprised if you get a ticket after sharing your story with your warden friend.  He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't.  This is why we have judges.....to listen to your side of the story.   

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2016, 01:06 PM »
Exactly.

Not saying you have to be a jerk or a jackass, just be careful what you say.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2016, 01:45 PM »
There is no law against taking smelts from that pond or its tributaries, which is all that really happened. With a smelt wholesaler's license I can legally take up to 8 quarts a day. With only one fish I was well within the limit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.