Author Topic: Best Bluegill waters  (Read 1346 times)

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Best Bluegill waters
« on: Mar 29, 2016, 07:00 AM »
Well lets hear about them. I have a couple private ponds that with notice I am allowed to ice fish. Big Bluegills! But I was mostly thinking about public water in Illinois. Seems the ones I fish have mostly smaller ones.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best Bluegill waters
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2016, 05:36 AM »
isn't your deep lake a good gill spot

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2016, 07:52 AM »
Why yes it is. But can get pretty crowded. As most waters around here do once word gets out that there is a bite on. I am not asking for spots, just lake or pond names. I can find-em.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2016, 09:02 AM »
I know you said IL but Lake Geneva might be worth the drive. I don't think it is to far from you.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2016, 06:36 PM »
Head down to the strip pits of Mazonia State Fish and Wildlife Area. 21 larger pits and a lot of smaller ones. I've caught gills up to 11 inches and large numbers of 8-10 's. If you have a boat even better but I prefer wandering the pits on the ice. Stick to weekdays if possible you know how busy most Illinois waters get on the weekends. Here's the latest set of TOPO maps for most but not all of the lakes.
South Unit:
http://www.ifishillinois.org/profiles/display_lake.php?waternum=04245
North Unit:
http://www.ifishillinois.org/profiles/display_lake.php?waternum=04218
Also be aware of some new regs this year on crappie-All lakes 10 per day this is down from 25 in years past.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2016, 07:25 AM »
When u think of North Dakota most think of jumbo perch on Devils Lake or many sloughs.  But where is considered one of the best places for Jumbo Bull Gills in the USA and Canada is Lake Metigoshi on the Nodak / Manitoba border.  Where Dave Genz goes to catch big Gills every winter.  Check out the NAIFC tournament pics they have their first of the year tourney each year there.  Nodakers rarely fish for them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.