The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Stocking Walleye at Moore Dam get behind it!!  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Stocking Walleye at Moore Dam get behind it!!
« on: Mar 16, 2016, 06:25 PM »

Walleye stocking at Moore Reservoir.
« on: Mar 14, 2016, 03:10 PM » Reply with quote 

I've always dreamed of fishing for pike and walleye locally rather than spending great deal of time and money to travel north  to Quebec or Ontario.  Now Moore offers trophy pike fishing.   Next should be trophy walleye fishing!!   That was my hope when Vt. and NH biologists offered a public proposal to stock walleye in the twelve mile long Moore Reservoir.  That was two years ago .   Because the local TU chapter didn't like the idea of stocking "non-native fish"  and ruining the ecosystem NHF&G have spent two years sampling all aspects of the system.   

At 6:00 PM on April 18th NH & Vt. will present a summary of their finding and again discuss the walleye project.   Gabe Gries will represent NHF&G
Jud  Kratzer will represent VtF&W.   Anyone in favor of the walleye stocking must show up or contact Vt. or NH  biologists.   I'm sure that the local TU  chapter will be there to offer a biased presentation. 

As good showing might convince the biologists that Moore Reservoir could be a great fishery for bass, pike and walleye.   It would be like bringing a small piece of Canada to NH and Vt.

I hope to hear that a large number of fishermen are interested in this great fisheries project.

Dick

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Stocking Walleye at Moore Dam get behind it!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2016, 04:36 AM »
Twenty years ago it was nothing to catch  25-27 inch browns and rainbows out of Moore. It is near impossible to do that today,TU is worried about walleye eating the trout when the pike have already done it !  :)Maybe the pike will eat the walleyes also but it is  worth a stocking effort to see if  the walleyes  return.

Offline hookup12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2016, 09:42 AM »
bring the walleye to Moore dam and you will bring the fisherman back   not many trout left there Big Pike  trophy class.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2016, 10:15 AM »
stock them in dunmore too.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2016, 05:30 PM »
bring the walleye to Moore dam and you will bring the fisherman back   not many trout left there Big Pike  trophy class.

The ice fishermen are there now, I have never seen so many vehicles at the boat landings as this past year. Folks love the pike fishing.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2016, 06:37 AM »
I've always caught pike every spring when going after walleye. They don't hang together in the summer usually, but fall, winter and spring they're in the same water.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2016, 10:44 AM »
I hope they do their homework.
Carmi  was a failure..

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2016, 06:07 AM »
I think they should put walleye back into Waterbury. They used to do well there.

Randy

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2016, 07:11 AM »
Carmi is just over fished..........

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2016, 07:26 AM »
I think they should put walleye back into Waterbury. They used to do well there.

I'm with you there...

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2016, 10:22 AM »

Offline bradleyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2016, 01:59 PM »

Walleye stocking at Moore Reservoir.
« on: Mar 14, 2016, 03:10 PM » Reply with quote 

I've always dreamed of fishing for pike and walleye locally rather than spending great deal of time and money to travel north  to Quebec or Ontario.  Now Moore offers trophy pike fishing.   Next should be trophy walleye fishing!!   That was my hope when Vt. and NH biologists offered a public proposal to stock walleye in the twelve mile long Moore Reservoir.  That was two years ago .   Because the local TU chapter didn't like the idea of stocking "non-native fish" and ruining the ecosystem NHF&G have spent two years sampling all aspects of the system.   

What the heck does TU think brown and rainbow trout are??  Browns are native to Europe and rainbows to the west coast of North America.  The only salmonids native to the Connecticut River are brook trout and Atlantic salmon.  To be fair, walleye are native to Vermont but to the St. Lawrence River watershed (including Lake Champlain), not to the Connecticut River watershed so they are an alien species there, but so are brown and rainbow trout.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2016, 06:04 AM »
Green River Reservoir would be another place walleye might do well in.

Randy

Offline IPflagkickr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2016, 07:22 AM »
Jud Kratzer wanted to stock Norton Pond with walleyes too. I'd love to see that happen!

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2016, 11:24 AM »
Looks like the "professionals" chose non-native trout over walleye just because some trout have spawned there... I wonder what kind of bribes TU got away with.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.