The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What do you use to waterproof your portable shanty's?  (Read 4757 times)

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi all what do you use to waterproof your portable shanties I've  been using Campdry and just wondering what else you folks use. I just got an new eskimo 9416i and need to waterproof it, just looking for other/better options :-), I think I spend more money when the seasons short......more time to shop less time to fish...:-), Stay safe early freeze next year.....Gotta hope...... :tipup:  ;D
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline vermont mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What do you use to waterproof your portable shanty's?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2016, 05:35 PM »
I use camp dry in an aerosol can

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2016, 05:42 PM »
Haven't done mine yet but I was going to hit the seams with snowseal wax and spray camp dry on the rest.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2016, 07:24 PM »
sno seal is bad, petroleum based. will deteriorate some substances. smell it smells like kero. nikwax is the way to go if you can find it. OGE has it.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2016, 07:25 PM »
I've only used Campdry in aerosol.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2016, 08:49 PM »
Isn't Sno Seal based on bee's wax?
Either way it's for leather, not for nylon, so it's probably not so good.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2016, 09:26 PM »
beeswax with solvents etc. beeswax is very hard you could never spread it like that. smell it is smells like paint thinner or kero.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2016, 09:34 PM »
sno seal is bad, petroleum based. will deteriorate some substances. smell it smells like kero. nikwax is the way to go if you can find it. OGE has it.

Sno seal is 100% beeswax, which is why you need to warm it up in order to spread it. We may be talking about different products.

I've been using it on tents for years. I agree though that a petroleum based product would be a bad choice.

Randy

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2016, 09:41 PM »
it is silicone based petroleum. smell the jar tell me what it smells like. not honey.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2016, 09:47 PM »
read the comments about it here

http://www.instructables.com/id/Waterproof-boots-with-beeswax/

"beeswax" is a commercial term. just like "maple syrup" it is not all made from trees.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2016, 07:39 AM »

"beeswax" is a commercial term. just like "maple syrup" it is not all made from trees.

Actually beeswax is exactly what it says it is, and if it says "maple syrup" it legally must be exactly that- it is the word "syrup" that the fake stuff gets away with They also often say "maple flavored syrup", but if it says maple syrup; it is legally required to be made of maple syrup. VT has won several legal actions on that score.

The snow seal tin I'm currently looking at states clearly that it contains only 100% natural beeswax from honey bees and no additives.

As I said: it is possible we aren't talking about the same product. This is definitely not spreadable without heating first, as you describe.

Beeswax is an excellent treatment to keep the seams sealed and keep the stitching from rotting out. I agree that petroleum products are not a good idea for this application.

Randy

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2016, 07:59 AM »
i wanted "more" from the water proofing products i used to use also and am trying this now. is rated better than the others by it's users. plenty of size options. smells just as bad as the others. so use it out side and let it dry in a garage or out side. i am using it on a car cover too and my shanty's and my sonar bags and boots and shoes and more.
http://www.amazon.com/303-30320-Aerospace-Protectant-128/dp/B00L4TF32G/ref=pd_sim_200_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=51PM2OuAcJL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=134XC9S8NQ2D3D4MC1NB

5 star, 1,226 customer reviews

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2016, 11:29 AM »
I usually set my tents up on a cloudy, but otherwise dry day out in the yard and treat them then. I'll probably do the same with the shanty, since then it's not subjected to the direct sun and the heat it entails.

UV us not a friend to plastic, and treatments generally adhere better under less intense heat.

Randy

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2016, 04:56 PM »
If I were you guys I wouldn't even bother trying to waterproof a shack.  Get a tarp that is just slightly larger than the roof of your shack.  Make sure you are not covering any vents or windows that you use for ventilation and your done.  Not only will it keep rain and snow from absorbing into the fabric but it also keeps the roof from dripping on you from condensation. 
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2016, 05:53 PM »
If I were you guys I wouldn't even bother trying to waterproof a shack.  Get a tarp that is just slightly larger than the roof of your shack.  Make sure you are not covering any vents or windows that you use for ventilation and your done.  Not only will it keep rain and snow from absorbing into the fabric but it also keeps the roof from dripping on you from condensation.
it's a good idea like better tents have a rain cover and should be an option to use when buying a shanty like polar birds summer tents have on one of their models now.

so what about the apron/skirt/wind flaps to keep it from freezing to the ice? insulated hubs have fabric on the ice surface. they are like a moving blanket. the shappells don't have insulated hubs or fabric yet, so no need to water proof those apron/skirts/wind flaps.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2016, 07:04 PM »
If there is snow on the lake what I like to do, assuming you shovel down to bare ice, is pack snow under the skirt before I pack snow on top of the skirt.  Now if you are on glare ice I will tuck the skirt inside the shack and cut a small slit in the skirt to pull the anchor grommet through.  I reinforce the slit with a little stitching and call it good.  The skirt freezing to the ice is only really an issue when staying overnight, if I'm out for a day I can usually pop it up off the the ice with little difficulty.  For camping in the summer I like to pile dirt on top the skirt to keep bugs and critters out.  Make sure you set up on well drained soil to avoid ponding inside the shack. 

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2016, 03:18 PM »
In my limited experience with the new portable it would definitely get itself glued down tightly to the ice if I were to let it.

While a rainfly rig on a shanty sounds like a great idea, a tarp would need to be fastened on extremely well in order not to blow away. In moderate winds I was needing to add extra anchors and lines in order to keep the shanty from trying to walk away.

I know that I'm going to be treating my portable out back as soon as the right combination of weather and a day off come along. The seams are of particular importance since they are the most porous and the threads used in tent making are often not the same water-resistant material the tent is made of and will rot faster without something on them. I use wax for that, and will be using silicone for the rest of the shanty.

Randy

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2016, 07:10 AM »
Has anyone used Seam Sealer on their shanty stitching?  I've used it on tents before, but would like to try something to keep the water out of the shanty.  Perch Bait and I were fishing in the rain earlier this year and it was hard to find a spot to sit that wasn't dripping!

This is the stuff I've used on tents:
http://www.coleman.com/product/seam-sealer-and-outdoor-repair/2000008865#.Vu_lMUZRafg

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2016, 02:02 PM »
Just remember guys these ice shacks weren't designed to be waterproof.  I have tried all the camp dry waterproofing and seam sealing and it works just until the fabric gets saturated which is about 5 minutes.  Trust me you guys stick with the tarp.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2016, 02:43 PM »
Has anyone used Seam Sealer on their shanty stitching?  I've used it on tents before, but would like to try something to keep the water out of the shanty.  Perch Bait and I were fishing in the rain earlier this year and it was hard to find a spot to sit that wasn't dripping!

This is the stuff I've used on tents:
http://www.coleman.com/product/seam-sealer-and-outdoor-repair/2000008865#.Vu_lMUZRafg

It should work at least as well on a shanty as it does on a tent. I think if you're trying to rainproof it you may want to set up a rainfly using a tarp (like Akhardwater is saying). You could probably also rig something up using a rainfly off a tent, just something to shed the rain before it gets to the shanty.

Randy

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2016, 07:25 AM »
Thanks, guys.  Makes sense.  I'll look into a tarp for the next time we're icefishing in the rain.  It doesn't happen very often, so hopefully I won't have to worry about it for a long time!

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 22, 2016, 02:27 PM »
It's probably a good thing that ice fishing in the rain isn't usually a thing.

Randy

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2016, 03:53 PM »
Atsko the makers of snow seal make a product called water guard extreme, works great for waterproofing. I use it on my boat canvas it also has spf in it and prevents mold growth. Water will roll off treated fabrics.
Salmonemia

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.