Author Topic: Picking Up Where I Left Off  (Read 1589 times)

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1
Picking Up Where I Left Off
« on: Mar 14, 2016, 07:01 PM »
Unfortunately, my hard water season came to a rough end as I fell through at Tarleton. It's ok, only my right leg went through and I instinctually fell forward since I thought I fell into a skimmed over hole (it wasn't). Although it was only 40 F when I got there, I packed up and gave my minnows to another fisherman before even dipping a line in. To make matters worse?, his buddy pulled up a bow as I was taking the walk of shame back to the boat launch. When I got home, I took a quick scouting fly fishing trip to a local river (flow is a little high but will be stable in a week or two, by the time of stocking) but didn't manage anything. I guess there is always a silver lining to everything since I enjoyed a nice outing today. It was hard work fishing in the snow, sleet, and rain but I managed to get it done. I could not see a fish for the first couple hours up shallow so I went deep to the drop-offs where I get them in the winter and that seemed to work. It also took a couple hours to find an effective pattern but bitsy bug jigs were the answer.

First open water larry of 2016. Feels so good!

First smallie of 2016!

And to think, this place was fishable 2 weeks ago and had ice only a couple days ago!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Picking Up Where I Left Off
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2016, 08:18 PM »
Way to pull through. Not worth drowning. The ice is done unless you go way north even there by the most recent reports it sounds like it's going fast. Next year should be better I hope.
Salmonemia

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2016, 09:19 PM »
Glad you are OK. Better taking the walk of shame instead of the other choice. Nice first of the softwater season bass.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2016, 04:26 AM »
That is not a good way to end the ice fishing season. :) Next year will be back to normal for ice I hope .

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2016, 06:01 AM »
There is no shame in staying alive.... the only shame could be in knowing when to say when...as my old Pappy used to say " a good run is better than a bad stand".... congrats on the start of the next season...it will for certain be longer than the season we just put behind us.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2016, 09:19 AM »
Roccus, I agree. A few nice fish isn't worth dying and not being able to catch many over the course of a lifetime. Thanks everyone for your support, I'm glad to have taken a walk of shame rather than a swim. One day I may Marty McFly this thing and thank myself for turning around  ;D. Tight lines everyone, have a safe rest or your season if you decide to go out or have a great open water season!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2016, 09:58 AM »

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2016, 04:52 AM »

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2016, 06:37 AM »
oh no you didn't!

Randy I am all dressed up with no place to go. Packing it away Friday and pulling out the softwater gear.

Offline ArrBee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2016, 03:31 PM »
It's good that you were able to pull yourself out of the proverbial hole on Tarleton, FishGuy. You gotta be careful out there... A cautionary tale for next hardwater season, eh?  ::)
Yes, I iron my tip-up flags but no, I'm not anal!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.