Author Topic: Lets Talk OFF-SEASON Wish List  (Read 3775 times)

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lets Talk OFF-SEASON Wish List
« on: Mar 14, 2016, 12:40 PM »
1. Little Buddy heater (Are these things really indoor safe?)
2. Floatation Wear
3. Put NY State title & Registration On My Quad (4x4 Polaris Scrambler)
4. Five "Matching" Tip Ups
5. Battery Life Indicator For My Vex
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lets Talk OFF-SEASON Wish List
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2016, 01:09 PM »
1. Finish preparation for next year's overnight.  Left to do: purchase [Jet Sled XL + Cover] x2, get my project snowmobile fixed up
2. Repair my QF6 from the damage it got on our last trip (hi-wind take down).
3. Work out an upgrade from my new, unopened Marcum VX-1i, to a new, unopened LX-6s.
4. Maybe the hi-res camera upgrade for my Aqua-Vu.
5. Respool all reels next fall.

Looks like most of my wish list requires my own labor.   :)  :P
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2016, 01:13 PM »
ICE ICE ICE !
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline ifish4fishwithteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2016, 02:09 PM »
Striker Hardwater bibs.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2016, 03:09 PM »
I'm going with ICE also. Doing some work on my old rusty 97 Dodge Ram to make a trip to South Dakota.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2016, 06:59 AM »
1) a new shantie
2) 2 more jacks traps
3) a new striker suit
4) a new costom jig pole
5) more time off work to ice fish
images.jpeg

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2016, 01:52 PM »
I'm going with ICE also. Doing some work on my old rusty 97 Dodge Ram to make a trip to South Dakota.

A 97? Best way to fix that is with a match.

I wanted to get a bunch of jigging spoons. I was in Walmart and they had Lindy rattlin flyers for $2.50 so I bought all they had. And then I went to Fish USA and ordered a bunch of buckshot rattle spoons. Also some fiskas. So now I am good for next ice season
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2016, 02:07 PM »
im trying to get my brain to realize that I need no more ice gear.ive accumulated tons of gear and no matter where I go in the house or garage theres some fishing gear laying around.my off season wish list is to stop buying gear for a year or 2.just sitting here in my living room typing this im looking at 2 jiffy propane augers.2 tipups,some jigging rods and a scoop along with my spear display and some decoys.lol.im a ice fishing/fishing gear hoarder.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2016, 02:34 PM »
I'm trying to get my brain to realize that I need no more ice gear. lol. I'm a ice fishing/fishing gear hoarder.

:clap:

As are we all.  I suppose we should each have an off-season wish list of things to unload!
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Bullet21XD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2016, 03:33 PM »
Late freeze up.

Thin ice all year.

Early ice out 2017.

Think global warming!!!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2016, 04:41 PM »
1. Little Buddy heater (Are these things really indoor safe?)
2. Floatation Wear
3. Put NY State title & Registration On My Quad (4x4 Polaris Scrambler)
4. Five "Matching" Tip Ups
5. Battery Life Indicator For My Vex
Mr Heater makes 3 models. The little buddy, a round thing that screws onto a bottle for support is not worth the $. I use the buddy, a square box with 1 ceramic block that uses 1# bottles or can be adapted to use a bulk source. I use a 5# refillable tank and keep a 1# bottle handy in case the tank goes empty at a bad time. The big buddy has 2 ceramic plates and unless it is -20 and windy you really don't need it, but some days you might. As a friend once said, "You can never have too much motor. That is what throttles are for."

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2016, 09:25 PM »
I don't know about the small sunflower heater made today but I have one from 20 years ago that is better than anything made today.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2016, 05:26 AM »
im trying to get my brain to realize that I need no more ice gear.ive accumulated tons of gear and no matter where I go in the house or garage theres some fishing gear laying around.my off season wish list is to stop buying gear for a year or 2.just sitting here in my living room typing this im looking at 2 jiffy propane augers.2 tipups,some jigging rods and a scoop along with my spear display and some decoys.lol.im a ice fishing/fishing gear hoarder.
lol, your living room sounds like mine

Offline Ericbres

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2016, 07:41 AM »
Mr Heater makes 3 models. The little buddy, a round thing that screws onto a bottle for support is not worth the $. I use the buddy, a square box with 1 ceramic block that uses 1# bottles or can be adapted to use a bulk source. I use a 5# refillable tank and keep a 1# bottle handy in case the tank goes empty at a bad time. The big buddy has 2 ceramic plates and unless it is -20 and windy you really don't need it, but some days you might. As a friend once said, "You can never have too much motor. That is what throttles are for."

I am going to 2nd everything said here ...
I've got the round one and had it not been a gift, I never would own it. The difference in what you get for the single plate square model compared to the price increase just makes sense.
And ditto to what is said regarding the two plate model. My brother and my father-in-law both have them and I can't tell you the last time we have fired up that 2nd plate on the heater. Just a waste of space in the sled/shanty.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2016, 08:23 AM »
I'm considering adding a new auger to the line-up. I'll use my 16 year old 9" Jiffy as back up.

Now....propane or an electric, that's the question I'll be working on for the off season.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2016, 08:30 AM »
I'm considering adding a new auger to the line-up. I'll use my 16 year old 9" Jiffy as back up.

Now....propane or an electric, that's the question I'll be working on for the off season.

Check out a NILS hand auger - I will never lay my hands on another power auger again. They weigh a ton and take longer to cut a hole with. My 6" NILS was a game changing investment. Now I manually cut holes for the fun of it. Effortless

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2016, 09:26 AM »
Check out a NILS hand auger - I will never lay my hands on another power auger again. They weigh a ton and take longer to cut a hole with. My 6" NILS was a game changing investment. Now I manually cut holes for the fun of it. Effortless

Not to start this into 1 vs the other, but I really want a 9" hole. I'm so accustomed to it, I really need it.

Offline sdatver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2016, 11:16 AM »
Going to attempt to make some jawjacker/ice rigger combos that can be used either one way or the other.   :tipup:

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2016, 11:03 AM »
More of an ongoing wish list for me as I know I won't get all of this stuff by next season.

Frabill hand muff tackle bag
Otter hub
Big buddy heater(to replace the one I ruined)
Rod upgrades
New ice suit
extra chairs
new vex battery and battery gauge
new underwater camera of some sort
44" rod bag for the longer rods

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2016, 11:45 AM »
honestly, the one ice fishing thing i think i'll spend money on in the off season would have to be either repairing my shelter or buying a new one.
if i get a gift card for my birthday i might spend it on parts for a new custom ice rod, but that's not hugely likely...

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2016, 12:11 PM »
Just looking for a striker hardwater suite and not in any big rush.  Pretty much have everything I need and then some.  Probably going to lighten my load a little bit as it does no good hoarding buckets of gear that I rarely/never use. 4 shanties, 4 ice augers, multiple seats, 18 tip-ups and who knows how many rods/reels and tackle is too much..  probably going to focus my efforts on getting my boat 100% and possibly getting a Motorguide Xi5 with pinpoint to replace my 20+ year old trolling motor but seeing how much my outboard repair goes first...

Offline sdatver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2016, 03:11 PM »
Just looking for a striker hardwater suite and not in any big rush.  Pretty much have everything I need and then some.  Probably going to lighten my load a little bit as it does no good hoarding buckets of gear that I rarely/never use. 4 shanties, 4 ice augers, multiple seats, 18 tip-ups and who knows how many rods/reels and tackle is too much..  probably going to focus my efforts on getting my boat 100% and possibly getting a Motorguide Xi5 with pinpoint to replace my 20+ year old trolling motor but seeing how much my outboard repair goes first...

Throw a couple of those rods in the boat.  You get some weird looks but its pretty fun to take the flasher along and throw the transducer over the side of the boat and vertical jig with the ice rod.  But maybe thats just me  ???

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2016, 03:33 PM »
I wish someone would come and put away all my icefishing stuff from this year......ugh.....I need to get all my tip ups back in good shape for next year........build a new blank that i got this year.....oh boy.....i just need to get my stuff put away for now......

Offline WarBonnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2016, 04:04 PM »
    Just ordered a FL-12, be here next week, now to wait for good ice !!!!  :icefish: :icefish:

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 18, 2016, 09:12 AM »
WB, maybe a ticket to Alaska is in order  ;D
Bud

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 18, 2016, 01:07 PM »
1. New pair of boots and nice cleats for them.
2. Split between getting a SM Lazer Pro or Honda Lite
3. Upgrade from my VX-1P to either an LX-3 or LX-5
4. Predator jacket
5. 4 beaver dam flag tip ups
6. Track down a cheap running three wheeler or old snowmobile (<$500)
7. Upgrade from my Quickfish 3 hub to a Clam Nanook or a  used larger, older 2 man flip.
8. Rod case
9. Research custom rod makers and order two, one medium power for walleye and one light tipped for perch/crappie.

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 18, 2016, 04:22 PM »
A one man hut and a USCG approved float suit for me and my son finish my auger rack for my snowmobile and towbar for my hut go through my sled and fix anything that might give me a problem down the road new tires chains and battery for my ATV and whatever else I can buy without my wife finding out about it

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 20, 2016, 09:32 PM »
I need a Mr Heater Little Buddy.   I have the Portable Buddy and it is too big for my Clam Nanook Thermal, I spend more time turning it on and off.  A smaller one will stay on and be about right.

Will buy a fishfinder for my sons, something that won't interfere with my humminbird frequencies.

Maybe build a hitch for my Clam for the ATV.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2016, 11:14 PM »
This year I bought a Frabill Recruit flip over, Otter Lodge hub, and Nils 6" auger. Next year, I'm hoping to buy a drill to use with the Nils, and possibly an underwater camera. After those purchases, I think I'm set for awhile on the higher priced purchases.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2016, 10:09 AM »
I'm hoping now that the season is over, Mrs 52 will be a bit more "grateful" that the season is over.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.