Author Topic: Sylvan update  (Read 1833 times)

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sylvan update
« on: Mar 14, 2016, 08:10 AM »
Stopped off at Sylvan at the end of the day on the way to Calgary.  The burbs were gone from last week.  I thought I might see a few but nope.  Best part is lots of whites hanging around.  Sometimes had 3 or so circling.   Limited out in about 25 minutes.  Crazy action for sure.  C&Red a couple more and then packed up.   Awesome weather and no wind but it was windy all the way there.  Ice was very solid with only a bit of water on the surface. Good times! :)

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
Re: Sylvan update
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2016, 08:26 AM »
Nice Snap! I've been catching a pile of whites this winter (some hogs too), but all at C&R lakes.  :(  On my way out to Pigeon to try one last time... The last two days I've been skunked for them, but slowly filling my walleye tags as well! Then it's on to other lakes for the late ice gator hunt!
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2016, 06:51 PM »
Cool!  Good luck on tags and Gator searching.  I still have a tag for Pigeon.   Many times I could have filled it but didn't...can't really explain it.

Off to Arizona for a week.  I hope to hunt some monster whites on Pigeon.  Some real hogs have been caught this past week.  Hope the ice holds out which it looks like it will

Cheers!

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2016, 08:23 AM »
Took me three days, but I got into the whites on Monday!  Managed to come home with 4 whites over 5 pounds!!!  Filled my other two walleye tags, and went home one happy fisherman after 3 days on the ice!  Have fun in Arizona, maybe I will see you on Pigeon later in the month!

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2016, 08:49 AM »
Took me three days, but I got into the whites on Monday!  Managed to come home with 4 whites over 5 pounds!!!  Filled my other two walleye tags, and went home one happy fisherman after 3 days on the ice!  Have fun in Arizona, maybe I will see you on Pigeon later in the month!

Awesome!  That is very cool.  Absolutely on getting together after.  There is a group of us on AO that plan to be out there.  You are welcome to join us.  I'm pretty sure it will be that first weekend in April but will post back.  i'm also free on the evening of the 26th when I have to drive back down to Calgary.  Instead of Sylvan, Pigeon could be on the list  :)

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2016, 09:00 AM »
26th eh?  May be able to work something out!  I have seen the 2016/2017 regulations and there is some debate whether Pigeon will be open after March 30th this year... Still waiting to hear back from Fish and Wildlife...

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2016, 08:07 PM »
26th eh?  May be able to work something out!  I have seen the 2016/2017 regulations and there is some debate whether Pigeon will be open after March 30th this year... Still waiting to hear back from Fish and Wildlife...

No problem.  I did hear back from the head honcho and the head biologist for the area and it is indeed open this year as per current regs.  It will not be in 2017 though and will be like the other lakes.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2016, 12:37 PM »
Don't think the 26th will be a go for me Snap! I might try to get out there this week, but don't know if I will or not.

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2016, 07:20 PM »
Yeah, I have a lot going on too.  If it doesn't work out this week I'll just continue to message you on the weekends in April.   There will be another 3-5 peeps out there for sure.  Last year for April for fishing for whites.

Cheers!

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2016, 09:20 PM »
What are you guys catching the whitefish on?

Ted

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2016, 10:12 PM »
What are you guys catching the whitefish on?

Ted

For me, Gull and Sylvan, gold spoon.   Sylvan especially.  Pigeon, wire worms.   Tried the spoon there and got looks but no takers.  Strange.  Everyone I fished with on Pigeon tried every color possible.  I caught one on an orange wireworm:

4 lber

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.