Author Topic: Tobin Lake Caution!  (Read 5039 times)

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tobin Lake Caution!
« on: Mar 13, 2016, 09:54 PM »
Just spoke to a friend who confirmed that 2 trucks went through on the flats today. Be careful out there guys, seems like a crazy year.

Offline MDC

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tobin Lake Caution!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2016, 11:08 PM »
I spent the day out at the flats as well. Im trying to figure out exactly where this happened out there. We fished one of the rivers and had 2ft of ice everywhere we drilled out there. The worst part is coming off once things warmed up... the trail back in looks like open water for a mile or so. Its the weirdest feeling. Quite a few shacks are still on out there, could be interesting to see if they get them off sooner than later now.

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2016, 02:05 PM »
I hear the trucks that went through went through near the pentagon

Offline MDC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2016, 02:06 PM »
Can confirm they went in at the mouth of the petegan.

Offline prairiedog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2016, 02:09 PM »
went through halfway down the Petaign by the bins

Offline iceberg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2016, 05:06 PM »

This was on Facebook this a.m.
I'll have mine on ice.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2016, 11:33 AM »
So how far is that in relation to the main entrance to the flats that is generally plowed in the winter and a mud pool in late March? I have only ever been ice fishing on Tobin and that is how we always get on. In fact I am still not even totally sure where that entrance is located on a tobin map. I always thought I was getting on the lake from west to east in about the middle of the big lake, but I am starting to second guess that. Thinking I may be getting on more on the northern part of the flats. Any insight? Thanks.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2016, 01:05 PM »
Its about 2 miles south of the main entrance to the flats where the petaigan feeds in. Was out there just recently for the day though and in my opinion the days of driving a truck out on the flats are done. Def done for me for the year. Ice is super soft and mushy already and some large cracks from earlier in the year are starting to open up. Ice is deteriorating fast, we were scraping the top 6 inches of ice away just with our boots, it was just pure mush. Up to everyone what they want to do but I wouldn't be driving out there anymore, especially after this heavy snow they are getting today. Gonna be a mess out there... 

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2016, 03:56 PM »
Any word on the Flats? I am heading up Wed, Thurs, Fri. Will I be driving on, quading on, sledding on or even going on? How the fishing been recently? Probably fish the Flats and the Hump. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Fluxcore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2016, 09:24 AM »
Word is stick to well used trails and use common sense.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2016, 09:30 AM »
How are the driving conditions on the Flats? Fishing picked up at all? Thanks.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2016, 10:42 AM »
Hey guys. Hoping someone can help me out. As stated in a previous post, I only ever ice fish Tobin and always just follow the beaten track. Never really paid real close attention as to where on the lake I was fishing. I thought I knew, but I am thinking I was wrong. From Tobin Lake Resort I always, hang a left after coming up the hill, drive till I hit the T intersection, hang a left and follow that road which includes a couple of bends. That road eventually turns into a tree lined trail which ends up in the parking lot (mud pit in late season). If someone could point out on the map(link provided) where the parking lot is that would be much appreciated. For some reason I always assumed I was pretty much in the middle(ish) of the big bay, driving on from the west shore. Now I am thinking I may be driving on where it is indicated Walls Flats on the map. I'm confused.  ??? Thanks.

http://www.nipawin.com/documents/fishing/tobinlakemap.pdf

Offline ShawnR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2016, 10:47 AM »
Hey guys. Hoping someone can help me out. As stated in a previous post, I only ever ice fish Tobin and always just follow the beaten track. Never really paid real close attention as to where on the lake I was fishing. I thought I knew, but I am thinking I was wrong. From Tobin Lake Resort I always, hang a left after coming up the hill, drive till I hit the T intersection, hang a left and follow that road which includes a couple of bends. That road eventually turns into a tree lined trail which ends up in the parking lot (mud pit in late season). If someone could point out on the map(link provided) where the parking lot is that would be much appreciated. For some reason I always assumed I was pretty much in the middle(ish) of the big bay, driving on from the west shore. Now I am thinking I may be driving on where it is indicated Walls Flats on the map. I'm confused.  ??? Thanks.

http://www.nipawin.com/documents/fishing/tobinlakemap.pdf

You have it right.  The upside down ice fishing triangle on the west of the big bay is about the area where you drive on.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2016, 11:04 AM »
Thanks for that ShawnR. Looks like you pulled out some nice fish this year. Have you been up recently? Anyone know it the Wall Flats are accessible in the winter? Thanks again.

Offline ben-lucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2016, 04:01 PM »
Fishing has picked up.  Flags are pretty steady right now, just a matter of keeping them on.  Will be a good last 10 days if this keeps up. 

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2016, 06:47 PM »
So how was the end of everyone's season? I fished the flats for a few days and caught fish but no record breakers that's forsure .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.