The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Not fishing related..  (Read 2334 times)

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Not fishing related..
« on: Mar 10, 2016, 10:43 AM »
Since this is the "transitional period" between ice fishing and open water fishing, I'd thought I'd ask this:

Are any of you closet wrestling fans?
I'm not talking about real wrestling (high school and college) but rather "pro" wrestling?
I will not bother with the WWE because it's more soap opera more than wrestling.

What I mean is the local shows, the shows where wrestlers get their experience before moving on to WWE.

I started going to local shows almost 2 years ago, just to see what they were like.

I tell you, these guys (and girls) work their butts off for every show, and get paid peanuts for it!
Sure, it can be a little corny, but with an affordable ticket price ($10 - $20) you get to see the action up close and personal.
You see when they miss a move, and see when they do get hurt (lots of scrapes and bruises).

All in all I get a kick out of the wrestlers and the kids in the crowd when they interact with the wrestlers.

Not preaching or promoting, just saying that I found it a fun way to spend an evening when there wasn't anything else going on.

Now if I can just shake this nasty head cold and get my kayak ready!!!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline LCMelon

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Not fishing related..
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2016, 06:46 PM »
Ive never been but it sounds like something id like to check out. I was big into WWF when it was the attitude era. Recently i turned it on to try and get back into it and was like "what the heck is this?" It was like a two hour commercial.

If ya smelllllllllllll. What the rock. Is cookin

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2016, 07:34 PM »
Click in if any of the site members can remember 'The Iron Shiek' or Bruno SanMartino from yesteryears
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2016, 07:41 PM »
Not me..    ::)

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2016, 07:52 PM »
Yes i remember them.  I used to be into it bad from the early 80's until the stone cold era.  all this new stuff if pretty off putting.  i got to see rick flair back in the nwa era.

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2016, 07:58 PM »
When Grandfather was still alive, we would watch the bouts on Sunday Nights , 9:00 p.m., that was in the very early 60's, on b/w screen, 12"round tube set
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2016, 08:24 PM »
I use to go to Philly to go watch the original ECW before Vince bought it. He killed it
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline Bigbellybilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bigbellybilly
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2016, 09:06 PM »
I would see andre the  giant and  Bruno and sheik  they would put on shows in downtown framinham in town hall   
Bigbelly

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2016, 10:54 PM »
Andre, moon dogs, superfly jimmy, road warriors, Jim the animal steel (I believe that was his name), Roudy Roddy, hacksaw Jim duggon, macho man randy savage (snap into a slim Jim lol) I remember going to the Worcester auditorium in the early 80's to see some of these guys.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2016, 05:33 AM »
  Jim the animal steel (I believe that was his name), 

GEORGE..   Had the green tongue and ate the turnbuckle padding...

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2016, 05:32 PM »
I believe George "the animal" Steele also worked in education, (guidance counselor I think).

Yeah, Vince has pretty much turned wrestling into a high priced soap opera.

Remember when wrestling matches were "X vs X, with a 15 minute time limit ??

Now they just waste time, drawing out matches to fill in until the next commercial.

The local shows are just like the old shows, with very little soap opera crap, minimal manager rants, and time limited matches.

The best part is that they cost 10-20 bucks for ringside seats instead of a weeks pay!

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2016, 07:43 PM »
Here in Central NJ, the local venue was in Highland Park, next to New Brunswick, at the high school gym, if memory serves me correctly

Offline Knot there yet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sub Zero Mafia Ice Team
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2016, 08:05 AM »
Bob Backlin last true champion.
MSG  the urine smell with flat beer and cigarette smoke.   
That's  when men were men was wrestling was real.
Ha Ha

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2016, 10:32 AM »
waaay back

chief jay strongbow

burp
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2016, 08:12 PM »
Yea tag team champs with billy white wolf, and then Tony Atlas, Victor Rivera, S.D.Jones, Golberg, Bret Heart, Abdulah the Butcher, the 4 original horseman;Rick Flair,Arn and Ole Anderson, and Tully Blanchard. Then you had the Sheep Hearders, Blue Blazer, Dusty Rhodes, Brutus beefcake, Super Star Billy grahm etc.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2016, 08:31 PM »
I havn't heard some of those names in sooooooooooo long that I forgot about them

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2016, 05:22 PM »
If you want to see wrestling the way it was before the stars were made, check out some of these local shows.

The venues are small, the talent can be odd, but I find it fun and entertaining. Here in the 495 belt there are a number of different shows, and some of the same wrestlers work in many of them.

There's NCW, NECW, SPW, CHAOTIC and LUCKY-PRO that I know of.

If you find a show close to you and want a kick seeing the amateur wrestlers and their interaction with the fans, go and check it out.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2016, 05:26 PM »
I havn't heard some of those names in sooooooooooo long that I forgot about them

That might be a good thing Jim..  ;D
Oh wait forgeting is a bad thing?      @)

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2016, 05:52 PM »
Dacker - forgetting some things is not a bad thing as long as it is not directly related to the wife, birthday-anniversary-valentine's day-mother's day, got to help the kids-Christmas-              feel free to add your personal choices  -  if forgetting is fishing related, that's ok because it gives you an excuse to go to the B&T shop

Offline ALMA0930

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2016, 06:34 AM »
http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news/years-later-witschi-s-still-stirs-memories/article_ead8e8fd-f33a-5af7-8912-09b3ea345ce7.html
anyone who lived in my area remembers this place. I went to a few matches here. pretty wild place..

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 28, 2016, 12:08 AM »
Showcase Pro Wrestling does shows occasionally at the Moose Lodge on Thatcher  St.
They have one coming up in April.

Offline ALMA0930

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Apr 02, 2016, 05:29 AM »
I see that ,  they have been doing shows there for years.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.