The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Death on Shelburne  (Read 3501 times)

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Death on Shelburne
« on: Mar 09, 2016, 04:02 PM »
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2016/03/09/police-person-drowns-shelburne-pond-placeholder/81542258/

Oh my god, I stopped by around noon, saw an empty truck that had a sled and an auger in the back.  I figured they must have taken a walk on the path because I didn't see anyone on the ice.  I wasn't about to walk on that ice, myself.  I saw a bucket out on the ice, but I kind of thought it must have blown out there or something.  It did not occur to me that someone had gone through!

This has me pretty shaken up.  I definitely will not be on the ice anymore this year.

Offline Honest_John

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Death on Shelburne
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2016, 04:25 PM »
Wow! That's terrible. I fished there on Sunday and was sketched out then, and I was just walking. There were two atv's tearing around in the afternoon.

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Almost cost the Warden his life as well. Please don't take chances for "one last trip"!  It's over.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2016, 05:02 PM »
This is such sad news.
Anyone still fishing ice in the Champlain Valley should reconsider the idea, the ice isn't safe anymore.
I saw someone on Calm cove at Mallets bay this evening and hope they're off the ice now.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2016, 05:19 PM »
The warden, Dana Joyal, deserves major respect for risking his own life to recover the guy.  I've talked with him more than a few times-- he's a good one.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2016, 05:22 PM »
The warden, Dana Joyal, deserves major respect for risking his own life to recover the guy.  I've talked with him more than a few times-- he's a good one.

Great unselfish effort by one of the good guys.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2016, 05:27 PM »
Don't beat yourself up Trout crazy, you had no way of knowing the man was already in the water. Even a warden was unable to make a rescue, almost taking his own life trying the rescue. The only ice that I will be on is ice with less than four feet of water below, and typically only two or three feet.

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2016, 05:44 PM »
That sucks! Time to hang it up!  RIP fellow fisherman!

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2016, 08:03 PM »
Very sad.

We drove past the pond today on our way to Ferrisburg.  :(
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:00 PM »
Don't beat yourself up Trout crazy, you had no way of knowing the man was already in the water. Even a warden was unable to make a rescue, almost taking his own life trying the rescue. The only ice that I will be on is ice with less than four feet of water below, and typically only two or three feet.

I went through the same anguish when I tried to rescue the two guys that went over the dam at Arrowhead a few years ago. You did the right thing and were able to come home safely to your loved ones.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2016, 04:19 AM »
sorry to hear of this . trout crazy there was nothing you could have done you remember this every time you go on the ice be safe. down where i fish the ice went from 10 inches on tuesday to 4 inches on wednesday. you know where im talking about. maybe see you on the water this spring down here.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2016, 05:45 AM »
Horrible news....I put all of my ice gear away last night after seeing this.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2016, 06:15 AM »
I am done for the year. :-\
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2016, 06:19 AM »
I am done also for this year :'(

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2016, 06:48 AM »
Until next year

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2016, 08:31 AM »
Yeah, time to get out the kayak. Hope not to hear anymore news like this during the upcoming weekend.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2016, 09:01 AM »
Any death stinks, What scares me more is how many people will drive up to me out on the ice when I'm not willing to take a vehicle out due to ice thickness but they will drive right up to my shanty...No problem with people visiting to see whats up, but please park a ways away. RIP been too many gone through this year. Had a buddy have his father go through in NY this year after the son finished telling him the ice was too thin for his wheeler....though they got out ok.
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2016, 10:51 AM »
This is awful. I've heard of three deaths this year on the ice. Please be extremely careful if you are even considering stepping on the ice again.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2016, 12:18 PM »
Hate to say it but the rapid break up of the ice is probably a good thing at this point. If it's no longer safe it's better to have it gone so no one is even tempted to try it out.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2016, 02:08 PM »
This news really hit me hard.  I didn't know Kenneth well, but I had spoken to him a few times at the tournaments and last spoke to him in January.  The memory I of have of him was that he always had a positive attitude and he loved to be on the ice. 

I had plans of trying to get out one last time this weekend.  I may still go for a ride, but I have accepted the idea that I may not be ice fishing again until next season.  A tragedy like this kind of forces you to think differently and put things into perspective.  I pray that his family can find some peace during these most difficult of times.   
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2016, 02:17 PM »
My condolences to his family, what a tragic loss.

The weather switch has been flipped, its warm, rainy and not getting cold at night anymore. It's over. Pack the ice gear away and move on to springtime endeavors and open water fishing. The risk of trying to get on this late, crappy, unsafe "ice" is not worth it. Just don't do it, don't risk it. Think about your family and friends, think about the first responders that would be put at risk, don't venture out on the ice. Ice fishing 2016 is over with. Live to look forward to ice season 2017.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2016, 07:29 PM »
I went today for 2 hours....came home and washed all my stuff.

Offline Fish Hard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2016, 05:19 AM »
Tragic. RIP. Ice is too soft for another trip. Please don't do it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.