Author Topic: How will the ice hold up  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Doug1980

• IceShanty Rookie
How will the ice hold up
« on: Mar 09, 2016, 08:56 AM »
Hey guys,
Wanted to get your opinions on the ice situation on Lake Winnipeg?   I know it's in plenty good shape now, but with the warmer weather coming what do you all think?    Think the ice will hold up for ATV until the end of the season, or could it disappear quickly?    I will be up the 18th through the 23rd, and my guess is it will still be ok for that time period, but may not make it until the 4th?    What do you guys think?    I'm talking ATV travel, not truck, I always leave the truck on shore when possible.   

Thanks,
Doug

Offline lexbroski

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How will the ice hold up
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:00 AM »
It really depends on the weather in the next week or so ( mid to high 40's with sun, not good).  They are starting to open the ditches here on the west side and once things really start to melt and the run off hit the lake it won't take long to rot the ice.  Better get up here sooner then later if you can.

Offline Doug1980

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:22 AM »
Sounds good.   Unfortunately, our dates are not flexible, so i will cross my fingers and hope for the best.    The night time temperatures above freezing hurt, and with daytime highs in mid to upper 40's the ice will be melting, no question on that.   

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2016, 12:45 PM »
We're heading up this weekend, decided not to haul the tracked rig as were staying in winnipeg and I only have a 30ft trailer. Think we will have any problems getting around in a duramax on 37" tires?

Cheers

Layne
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline avidangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2016, 10:22 PM »
Pretty much drive anywhere you want as far as snow is concerned.. Pressure ridges , cracks can be troublesome tho. Have fished with my truck only,  all winter this year with little problems.. Hurry up tho as nice weather coming  gl

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2016, 06:05 AM »
Water will get dirty/murky from the red well before the ice is unsafe, once this happens its done
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline lexbroski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2016, 09:22 AM »
Be extra careful around the ridges!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2016, 10:32 AM »
Thanks guys, if yall see my black/muddy 2007 gmc on 37s come stop by for a smokie and a beer! If you see it stuck just keep driving, lol.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.