Author Topic: What is the best power noodle out there.  (Read 5640 times)

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What is the best power noodle out there.
« on: Mar 07, 2016, 06:53 AM »
Well with the end of ice around here. I am starting my list for things I want for next season. I usually fish long rods hole hoping and have plenty of them. Short rods I have but they all need a spring bobber or some kind of float to tell when you have a very light bite. So my question is this. What is the best power noodle out there? I will be looking for two of them. I have many reels so that is of no issue to me. I want one that shows an up bite using very small light jigs and plastic.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What is the best power noodle out there.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2016, 07:47 PM »
I have a DH Customs Al Dente, TUCR Precision Noodle and TUCR Bullwhip. All 3 are significantly different. The Dh Customs is the thinest and most sensitive, the Precision Noodle has more backbone and very close in sensitivity at the tip and the Bullwhip has the most backbone while still being pretty sensitive at the tip.

If you're looking for something with a solid backbone, stick with the TUCR rods. if you're fishing light weight jigs with 2lb test, the DH Customs would give you the fastest tip

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2016, 08:20 PM »
I've got a New 4 footer that will bend into a circle and will be near you on the weekend if you want to take a look. It's the only rod I own that stays in the case.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2016, 08:24 PM »
Custom sanded....by far the best way to go

Catchin' Fish

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2016, 09:08 PM »
The TUCR Bullwhip is a heavier noodle. All of the custom noodles have a great backbone IMO. That's why they're expensive. If you r looking for something for light jigs, the Bullwhip isn't for you. Perhaps the precision noodle. I've never used the precision though. I do own a bullwhip and like it for heavier tungsten jigs and small spoons but not for the small tiny ones. The Thorne Bros power noodle is great for small jigs though. You can definitely see the up bites with it. I love the power noodle and the best part about it is that it you can say goodbye to spring bobbers.

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2016, 10:40 PM »
Tickle stick. Comes in three different weights for small jigs. Works great and no need for spring bobber. Yet still has some back bone. Can really detect those light bites easily.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2016, 08:02 AM »
My go to rod when fishing for pan fish is my 36" TUCR precision noodle. With small tungsten this rod shines for visual detection, no spring bobber needed. On a windy day it can be tough using this rod but thats when i would recomend the TUCR Bullwhip. I have my noodle paired up with a cabelas brand inline reel and it is the lightest setup i have.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2016, 11:50 AM »
The rods I am asking about will be used in my flip over. For gills and crappie. I have great long rods for outside hole hoping. There is a lake around here called Deep Lake that has some of the biggest gills I have ever seen in these parts. The thing is they seem to be light biters most of the time. I missed many with spring bobbers this last season. That's why I am looking for a power noodle or two. Thanks Guys.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2016, 12:16 PM »
What makes you think you will see bites with a noodle rod you don't see with a spring bobber?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2016, 12:31 PM »
I will also be able to feel it. I hope.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2016, 10:36 PM »
The only way you're going to feel a bite with a noodle rod is if your finger is on the line or blank. Fiberglass doesn't transmit as much of the bite "feel" as carbon by nature - but you can feel a decent hit. To have a sensitive 'glass blank it needs to weigh as little as possible - light guides, light handle, light reel, etc.

A short cork handle will allow you to palm the rod and keep a finger on the blank

Handle is light as can be, guides are minima Ti, and the sight beads aid in transmitting some feel back through the blank

A minima seat allows you to have contact with the blank as well

A good noodle rod is money for light biting, finicky gills but a extreme fast action carbon blank is the best :)

That blank will telegraph a gill sneezing on a lil cecil in 20' of water with 2lb fluorocarbon

Catchin' Fish

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2016, 12:02 AM »
A camera is your best bet. No rod/line combo will transmit every bite. Forget feeling the bite, that does happen but it is not reliable.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2016, 01:57 PM »
If it's fishing for finicky fish, you might want to try an inline/fly reel.  Trigger finger the line.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2016, 02:35 PM »
Nothing like a small slip float for lite bites!
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Apr 22, 2016, 10:31 PM »
Can't say enough about the tickle stick. Comes in three different sizes and a lot easier to see than a spring bobber. Out fished my buddy 5 to 1 with light biting Crappies in 45 feet of water. Rod blank is round at the handle then tapers to a flat tip. Extra sensitive but enough backbone for hook sets in deep water.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2016, 11:26 AM »
Tickle stick. Comes in three different weights for small jigs. Works great and no need for spring bobber. Yet still has some back bone. Can really detect those light bites easily.
;D ;DX2 got one last year (UL) gonna buy another one this year @) @)
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.