The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: leaving fish on ice  (Read 7190 times)

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: leaving fish on ice
« Reply #30 on: Mar 07, 2016, 03:30 PM »
my neighbor eats them. I was about to tell them that before they flung it.

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Mar 07, 2016, 03:58 PM »
This was just one hole, if you count, there is close to 70 fish. There was at least 6+ other holes that had an average of 6-12 perch around them

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Mar 07, 2016, 04:06 PM »
my neighbor eats them. I was about to tell them that before they flung it.

I eat them, which shouldn't be a surprise.  ::) They're another fish that needs a little brining overnight before cooking. For those kinds of fish I'll mix up a brine and put it right into the freezer bag with the fillets so when I take it out of the freezer it's all set to go.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 07, 2016, 04:39 PM »
As foul eating as they are I would have put it back down the hole.
Surprised the dump chickens would even eat it...lol.. ::)

Lake trout not good eating? Your crazy! Lake trout are great eating! Very similar to salmon! I cook them the same way I do salmon. I don't brime them. Just fillet them out, and put them in the freezer. If you haven't tried lake trout you should cause there quite tasty...

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 07, 2016, 04:39 PM »
That's a shame...

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 07, 2016, 06:37 PM »
I still would like to see the pictures of the over 100 perch on the ice. I'm suspecting that was stretching the truth quite a bit. I guess pictures would prove it.
We'll there ya go.  By the looks there was probably a lot more before the gulls got to them.   I can see them in the pic waiting to get back after them.

Offline cooljoe52

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:16 PM »

Here thats how to post the picture

Offline LnmanRI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:18 PM »
Scumbags -report them

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:25 PM »
thanks cooljoe, much better.

Offline LnmanRI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 07, 2016, 07:31 PM »
That's forage for other fish and the future for the next generation

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 07, 2016, 08:51 PM »
I contacted a Warden about an incident earlier this season where people were leaving pickerel on the ice. Unfortunately, he informed me that Vermont does not have a wanton waste law for fish. Feel free to complain to your lawmakers on this. I feel that we should have one. He did urge me to let him know when I do see this because there are other ways they can penalize them. It's a shame that people leave pickerel on the ice - they are some of the best eating fish, but some people are just too lazy to learn how to prepare them.

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 07, 2016, 09:02 PM »
I contacted a Warden about an incident earlier this season where people were leaving pickerel on the ice. Unfortunately, he informed me that Vermont does not have a wanton waste law for fish. Feel free to complain to your lawmakers on this. I feel that we should have one. He did urge me to let him know when I do see this because there are other ways they can penalize them. It's a shame that people leave pickerel on the ice - they are some of the best eating fish, but some people are just too lazy to learn how to prepare them.

Are they similar to pike?

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 07, 2016, 09:15 PM »
They are better tasting then pike. Though we typically only keep them when water temps are cold. They seem to very soft flesh during periods when the water is warm. Only thing you need to do to fillet them is cut out the y bones and you end up with boneless fillets. Very tastey fillets!

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 07, 2016, 11:31 PM »
Lake trout not good eating? Your crazy! Lake trout are great eating! Very similar to salmon! I cook them the same way I do salmon. I don't brime them. Just fillet them out, and put them in the freezer. If you haven't tried lake trout you should cause there quite tasty...

Sorry..I love to fish for lakers..great sporting trout..and man they can get huge...lots of fun..I've caught them out of champlain ,willoughby  caspian...numerous times.
i have never tried to smoke them..(about the only way i haven't tried to cook them)..I just can't palate them...but i am not a big fan of pacific salmon either...they all taste like oil and mud...to me. :P
But that is just me...so If i ever catch another one(i don't target them anymore) i am going to try and smoke it..other than that they are all yours.

Offline MadflyfishingVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Mar 08, 2016, 06:12 AM »
Sorry..I love to fish for lakers..great sporting trout..and man they can get huge...lots of fun..I've caught them out of champlain ,willoughby  caspian...numerous times.
i have never tried to smoke them..(about the only way i haven't tried to cook them)..I just can't palate them...but i am not a big fan of pacific salmon either...they all taste like oil and mud...to me. :P
But that is just me...so If i ever catch another one(i don't target them anymore) i am going to try and smoke it..other than that they are all yours.

Haha I get it. Not everyone is gonna like the same fish. Have you tried grilling lake trout? I do that cause it's a good way to get the oil out, as it is an oily fish.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 08, 2016, 06:16 AM »
I filet my lake trout, batter it, and fry it, then throw on a slice of cheese and put it on a bun with tartar sauce. Makes an awesome filet-o-fish sandwich.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 08, 2016, 07:41 AM »
Battered and fried, it does really well sitting next to a heap of shoestring fries, like most fish does.  :)

Randy

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 08, 2016, 02:54 PM »
keep the recipes coming guys going to try them. dont really care for lakers or salmon but will try some of these other ways to cook them. i like the salmon and lakers smoked though.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Mar 08, 2016, 03:22 PM »
The mob mentality in this thread scares me.  I've made note of the sheep that cast judgement based of what one guy wrote in an interent forum.  Shame is seeing everyone default to the worst possible conclusion based of a subjective post.  I sure as heck hope some of you are never selected for jury duty!

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 08, 2016, 04:50 PM »
The mob mentality in this thread scares me.  I've made note of the sheep that cast judgement based of what one guy wrote in an interent forum.  Shame is seeing everyone default to the worst possible conclusion based of a subjective post.  I sure as heck hope some of you are never selected for jury duty!

Well, unless the wanton waste of fish was a lie, I don't get your point... read the comments on your average Reddit post and it will seem downright civil around these parts. The judging makes perfect sense if you assume it actually happened.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Mar 08, 2016, 06:52 PM »

We've got a picture of a bunch of dead fish and an account of the event... any person who deliberately kills fish they don't plan to eat should lose their license and pay a fine. That is my statement on the matter.

I've seen people throw ling on the ice before, calling them trash fish, which is downright crazy. Sure, they're kind of ugly, but holy crap are they good.

Randy

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 08, 2016, 10:21 PM »

ok i will Bite. if one of these guys had a heart attack or fell thru the ice  and they needed to get him to immediate medical attention..than ok...but they took all their fishing gear with them as well...so did they have their priorities straight......??who knows...i was not there..

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 09, 2016, 04:34 AM »
Happens everyday with other fish as well , people keep 2 foot northerns  when they get home its in the trash after they try to clean them...

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 09, 2016, 06:14 AM »
We've got a picture of a bunch of dead fish and an account of the event... any person who deliberately kills fish they don't plan to eat should lose their license and pay a fine. That is my statement on the matter. X 2 on that

I've seen people throw ling on the ice before, calling them trash fish, which is downright crazy. Sure, they're kind of ugly, but holy crap are they good.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Mar 09, 2016, 05:12 PM »
I certainly think leaving dead fish on the ice is wrong. I have seen one popular flat fishing parking access ruined because of someone doing just what was mentioned. The land owner got upset about the dead fish and said nobody can park here anymore. I have known and fished around 3 generations of the people mentioned in this thread for over 25 years and can honestly say I never saw any unsportsmanlike conduct. What is really perplexing to me is I have had many conversations about the health of the lake and specifically the fishery with this family. While I hope the people responsible for the fish left on the ice aren't this family this incident does have a good side in the form of reminding all sportsmen about the importance of following the rules, good sportsmanship and the image we all cast to others..
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Mar 09, 2016, 05:43 PM »
ok i will Bite. if one of these guys had a heart attack or fell thru the ice  and they needed to get him to immediate medical attention..than ok...but they took all their fishing gear with them as well...so did they have their priorities straight......??who knows...i was not there..

I know its hard to pick up a tone in a post so let me just say I don't judge any of the posts made, I just like to point out the other side of things for discussions sake. I do agree that leaving dead fish on the ice is wrong and would report anyone doing something so foolish.  I missed that there was somid evidence of it being wanton waste. 

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Mar 09, 2016, 08:17 PM »
I certainly think leaving dead fish on the ice is wrong. I have seen one popular flat fishing parking access ruined because of someone doing just what was mentioned. The land owner got upset about the dead fish and said nobody can park here anymore. I have known and fished around 3 generations of the people mentioned in this thread for over 25 years and can honestly say I never saw any unsportsmanlike conduct. What is really perplexing to me is I have had many conversations about the health of the lake and specifically the fishery with this family. While I hope the people responsible for the fish left on the ice aren't this family this incident does have a good side in the form of reminding all sportsmen about the importance of following the rules, good sportsmanship and the image we all cast to others..

Do we know it was indeed them? Maybe they were fishing near to where the perch were thrown, or maybe they loaned their truck to somebody. Remember recently some contractor saw the truck he'd recently sold in an ISIS video, being driven around in Syria (if there were ever a reason to spend extra on removable truck signs, that'd be it  :P).

Sure, whoever left the fish on the ice deserves out contempt and deserves to be drawn + quartered, but lets not hang these particular guys until we're positive they're the ones who did it.

Randy

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Mar 10, 2016, 06:14 AM »
I have my doubts it was that family just because I know them and have never seen them do anything like that. They are in the fish business on 2 different fronts so it doesn't add up to me. In my mind the fish had to be left by someone else and they unfortunately got blamed. That family doesn't waste small fish...they fillet them every day of the week.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Mar 11, 2016, 10:06 AM »
the last i knew they dont buy and sell small fish . the yellows have to be 8 inches and up to sell to rays seafood. those yellows on the ice wernt even close. just saying.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.