Author Topic: Help: taking kids fishing  (Read 1435 times)

Offline NPhusker

• IceShanty Rookie
Help: taking kids fishing
« on: Mar 03, 2016, 09:58 PM »
I moved to Aberdeen in January, and have not had time to explore the local lakes.  I want to take my two little girls ice fishing this weekend before the ice is gone for the year.  Anyone have a suggestion for a lake where my girls can just catch a fish? They could care less if its a 5 inch panfish or a bullhead.  I am not looking for anyone's honey hole just something to keep them busy.

Can you ice fish Wylie Lake?  Richmond consistently has pretty good results for bluegill on the sampling surveys.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Help: taking kids fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2016, 06:45 AM »
Ask at your local bait shop

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:23 AM »
There is a baitshop near the corner of 81 and 12.  Its the big dome shaped building.  I drove by Mina last weekend, didn't see anyone fishing and the ice didn't look great but I would guess its walkable.  Maybe bring a spud bar or something to check it.  I know other ice in the area has been good yet but every lake is different.  I would try Richmond before Mina but I really don't have that much experience on either.

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2016, 08:36 AM »
No ice fishing on Wylie.  I know there is a derby on Richmond this Saturday so keep that in mind. 

Offline sdatver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:11 AM »
No ice fishing on Wylie.  I know there is a derby on Richmond this Saturday so keep that in mind.
There has been people ice fishing wylie a few times this winter, first time in my life I have seen it though.  As long as its just the kids fishing I would think he would be ok or is there a rule against ice fishing it? Do you know anything about the tournament? Can a guy find results online anywhere?

Offline derek_buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2016, 11:42 AM »
There has been people ice fishing wylie a few times this winter, first time in my life I have seen it though.  As long as its just the kids fishing I would think he would be ok or is there a rule against ice fishing it? Do you know anything about the tournament? Can a guy find results online anywhere?

I was under the impression that there was no ice fishing Wylie because of liability issues, but I just heard that through word of mouth and I have never actually seen it in writing so I could very well be wrong.  For the tournament on Richmond, I saw a flyer in Ken's for it and it is listed on the SD GFP page, but I have never fished in that tournament before.

Offline sdatver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2016, 02:29 PM »
I was under the impression that there was no ice fishing Wylie because of liability issues, but I just heard that through word of mouth and I have never actually seen it in writing so I could very well be wrong.  For the tournament on Richmond, I saw a flyer in Ken's for it and it is listed on the SD GFP page, but I have never fished in that tournament before.

Gotcha I would just like to see the results on that tournament, haven't heard much for good reports from richmond this year.  And I could be wrong on Wylie to.  I was headed north out of town on presidants day and saw a quickfish out there and a kid walking to a tip up.  Grew up in Aberdeen and pretty much been there my whole life and that is the first time I have ever seen anyone ice fishing Wylie lake.  I was in shock haha. :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.