Author Topic: What makes a great season  (Read 985 times)

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
What makes a great season
« on: Feb 29, 2016, 08:25 PM »
 For all there is to ice fishing, anticipation of first ice, hoping for good weather, catching big fish, filling the buckets, trying out new gear, finding time to go fishing, or trying a different BOW than were used to I found something that I look forward to that rarely happens on softwater or while being out in the woods or fields hunting. I've come to look forward to meeting new people out on the ice sharing the same passion as I do, to catch a quarry that is unseen, and being out in the Creation away from all the distractions of life. Telling stories, teaching and learning new (and old) techniques, sharing baits and time. So much more to this than fish flipping on the ice. Has been a great short season and for all I hope many more. Be safe, enjoy life, and fill them creels.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What makes a great season
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2016, 05:20 AM »
Good season for me as well. Good ice that never got so thick it was a chore to cut. Nice fishing weather when I got out, never had to haul a bunch of stuff because of the cold. Very little snow to battle but enough to help with walking and pulling. Always caught enough fish to satisfy. Caught quality fish. Season started and ended about right for me. I also enjoyed many peaceful evenings with friends.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2016, 08:52 AM »
"What makes a great season"
One that allows me to still be ice fishing
One that allows me to be able to get over species I target

Was not great for me by any stretch of the imagination but to each his own!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2016, 11:43 AM »
I totally agree Kevs.  It is rare to participate in an outdoor pursuit where you can share it with someone you've never met in such close quarters.  Typically it's not something I pursue on the ice but found myself in that situation more times this year than not.

Met Bret for the first time on his home waters while he was jerking them onto the ice.  He invited me to drill holes within feet of him after knowing him for about 5 min.  Turned a day on the ice where I would have caught a few short perch into a day where I took home a nice mess of gills but much more important, a new fishing friend.  I was able to return that fsvor to several others this year by putting them on fish.

Those are experiences you're not going to find in the outdoors very often.  Maybe it's one of the things I enjoy about the Maumee walleye run.  Yeah, it can be crowded and crazy, but when it comes right down to it the guy or gal on my left and my right are there for similar reasons as I am.  Its that common ground that motivates us to drive hours, wsde into cold muddy water in the dark, and cast heavy weights into the river over and over again until our arms are sore, side by side.

I think some of it comes down to a principal that a pastor of mine often spoke of:  our happiness in life is proportional to the number and quality of our friendships.

I think that I had a great season thanks to some of you!

Offline dawgfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Can't catch em' on the couch
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2016, 12:34 PM »
For all there is to ice fishing, anticipation of first ice, hoping for good weather, catching big fish, filling the buckets, trying out new gear, finding time to go fishing, or trying a different BOW than were used to I found something that I look forward to that rarely happens on softwater or while being out in the woods or fields hunting. I've come to look forward to meeting new people out on the ice sharing the same passion as I do, to catch a quarry that is unseen, and being out in the Creation away from all the distractions of life. Telling stories, teaching and learning new (and old) techniques, sharing baits and time. So much more to this than fish flipping on the ice. Has been a great short season and for all I hope many more. Be safe, enjoy life, and fill them creels.

Great stuff right there indeed
Tight lines and loose morals!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2016, 06:49 AM »
 Was very fortunate to have had a family place on James chain going on 43 years now. Weekends and summers were always spent at the lake. If I wasn't in the boat with dad or grandpa I was on the piers. Once dad let me have at it with the boat there was no looking back. I'd be gone all day check in at lunch and then back before dark. The passion turned into a full blown addiction and the majority of my friends are in the same boat. Last few seasons I've enjoyed meeting new people and was looking forward to a gathering but the season was short. Perhaps a summer fish fry could be in order or we all crash a FOF event. I'd say for me the last few seasons have been the best just from the new friendships that were made and people I've met.

Rkoomler

« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2016, 04:34 PM »
Agree with stinky, the local waters get in your blood.  When I am somewhere else catching better fish than are available here I don't think the experience is as good.  So for me a good season is doing well in relative terms at home.

Offline SK8TNPIGEZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2016, 07:11 PM »
Scott hit a home run with that post.  Well said!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.