Author Topic: Problems with Frabill Pro Thermal Tip-Ups  (Read 6437 times)

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Problems with Frabill Pro Thermal Tip-Ups
« on: Feb 02, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Alrighty guys... I could use some of our Tip-up anglers 'expertise' as am a COMPLETELY inexperienced using them, although I've tried several times with only one successful flag...

Here's what I'm using:
http://www.frabill.com/tipups.html#prothermal

Now here's my problem:

I always seem to get my minnows picked off (big or small) and have my waxies peeled too!

Here's what I'm doing:
I have spooled the tipups, I believe correctly - although off the top of my head I'm not sure if clockwise or counter-clockwise, with braided tip-up line (not sure how much - but enough for 100+ ft) followed by a 8lb. mono leader.  I used a barrel swivel to attach the mono to the braided.  End of mono has a quick clip (not swivel or snap) - but those cute little red snaps ya have to use a plyers to get your jig/hook on/off with.

I always make sure the bait is anywhere from 6"-2' off bottom.  Main target in using the tipups has been eyes or perch in 14-25 FOW. 

Currently, all three are rigged w/ red trebles.  I have in the past used various jigs (both heavy and lightweight) and still have had the same problem.  I've tried the trebles both w/ and w/o a small splitshot (enough to help get to the bottom) approx. 1 1/2 - 2' above the bait.  When I get on bottom, I reel the spool into the approx. depth I want the bait at.

Every time, except for once last year, my bait gets picked off w/o the flag ever even budging!  In addition, every one of these times except the one that I had a flag go, the line has not been spooled and almost always has the same amount of line out as when I set it...

As stated, I've had minnows, minnow heads, and waxies all peeled off.  The waxies in particular I'm pretty sure perch picked them as I was fishing over a school one day and had very little eye action when it occured... but I could be wrong too.

Anyways... I'm wondering what the heck my problem is?  Could I have the tip-ups spooled wrong and that is the problem?  Does it matter if the braided is moreless bunched to one side on the spool vs. the other?  Does it matter if it is not tightly spooled and loose or should it be tightly spooled?  The only thing I can think of is the fish are feeling resistance and quickly peel the bait off and split on outta there? 

I should also mention that these tipups have a regular flag setting and a 'light bite' setting so to speak.  The light bite setting is supposed to have the flag trip even if a fish just mouths the bait.  I can barely even tap or breath one the trigger and the flag will pop, so I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong?!?!  I've tried both settings...

I'd love to be able to be more effective with them, but with the problem I'm having, it is almost to the point where I'm giving up on em and ready to switch to another brand, although I was informed by several people that use these that they are some of the better tip-ups around - and I hope so for the $14.99 tag on em - although I don't see many people using them except for me, LOL?!?!

Any advice from you guys that use tipups or maybe even some that use the ones I have, or had same problems w/ these or similar models?!

I should also mention that I got lucky TWICE this year as I was going to check them to see if bait was still on and I did feel light resistance, which turned out to be some small dink eyes after I got em in... other than that - I have no luck w/ em! LOL

Thanks much in advance guys!!!

-WF.

Offline C-web

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Problems with Frabill Pro Thermal Tip-Ups
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2006, 03:09 PM »
You should have your main line spooled tightly.  One question is how are u hooking your minnows.  If you hook them too deep they die if you dont hook them enough they fall off ???.  i dont know if you are but i dont use the bait clip at all unless i have a big shiner on there.  One thing i have heard about walleyes is they will hit and drop to the bottom to eat so they might not take much line if you are only a foot up. One more tip is to make sure your line is running through the line guide. just my 2 cents for ya. good luck

Offline JeBa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:59 AM »
I don't have these tip ups but - try holding the tip up in one hand, setting & releasing the flag on the tip up by pulling the line off the spool with the other hand to ensure the flipper releases the flag? If not maybe you have wound them incorrectly.

Jeff

billybono

« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2006, 11:52 AM »
get some good grease and re grease the shafts. i asked the same question a while back because i was having similar problems. after getting rid of that stock junk grease, there much smoother and my hookup rate inceased drastically. but i have never had a problem with the flag not popping, they were just dropping the bait. the flag shaft isn't getting caught underneath the washer thats below the trigger is it? also i have never used that bait clip

billybono

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2006, 03:32 PM »
You should have your main line spooled tightly.  One question is how are u hooking your minnows.  If you hook them too deep they die if you dont hook them enough they fall off ???.  i dont know if you are but i dont use the bait clip at all unless i have a big shiner on there.  One thing i have heard about walleyes is they will hit and drop to the bottom to eat so they might not take much line if you are only a foot up. One more tip is to make sure your line is running through the line guide. just my 2 cents for ya. good luck

K.  Main line is spooled tightly... or fairly tightly I consider anyways.  My minnows always get hooked the 'right way' IMO - right behind the top dorsal fin.  I've hooked em this way for years when slipbobbing and they stay nice and lively for hours on end  ;)  What bait clip are you talking about?!??!  I'm not using one... I was referring to the little clip that ties onto your mono leader that you snap your jig onto... was a picture posted in a thread about this a few months back... supposed to be the best alternative to tying directly to the line.  Is this what you are talking about when saying "bait clip"?  As far as eyes are concerend - in my experiences - they will bit directly on bottom, a few inches off bottom, or a couple feet off bottom.  It changes every time for me....  Line is running through the line guide too

I don't have these tip ups but - try holding the tip up in one hand, setting & releasing the flag on the tip up by pulling the line off the spool with the other hand to ensure the flipper releases the flag? If not maybe you have wound them incorrectly.

Jeff

Hey Jeff - have released the flag by pulling directly on the line... they pop w/o any problems it seems.  That's why I figured that I must've wound the spools correctly?!  ???

get some good grease and re grease the shafts. i asked the same question a while back because i was having similar problems. after getting rid of that stock junk grease, there much smoother and my hookup rate inceased drastically. but i have never had a problem with the flag not popping, they were just dropping the bait. the flag shaft isn't getting caught underneath the washer thats below the trigger is it? also i have never used that bait clip

billybono

This might be the ticket right here... I NEVER even though of that?!?!  What do you mean by dropping the bait BB?  As far as the flag shaft is concerned, nope, it's not getting caught or stuck.  Where's a good place to get some quality tipup grease BB?  Any suggestions?

Thanks much for the replies guys...

BTW - here's a link to those 'bait clips' I use... they are EXTREMELY small - and red in color  ;)
http://www.thornebros.com/winter/misc_gear/noknot_fassnap.html

billybono

« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2006, 03:50 PM »
i was referring to the bait clip that is built into the polar tipups. the metal guide but the spool you set your line in

like this without the clip normal set up

like this using the clip for bigger baits..well not exactly my line is messed up in this pic but you get the idea

i only tip-up fish northerns......when I'm talking about dropping the bait i mean i would get a flag, the fish would spool 50 feet of line out and gone, no minnow no fish. just go to an auto parts store and look for a good grease that has a low temperature scale

hope this helps

billybono

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Ahhhh so thats what that bait clip is you guys are referring to!  I was ALWAYS wondering what the heck that thing was, but could never seem to figure it out! LOL - okay - I have never used it then... always directly through the line guide.  I'm seriously starting to think it's a lack of grease... it's gotta be - I just don't know what else it would be.  Maybe I'll also respool the tipups so the line is nice and even and spooled a bit tighter to, just to be sure.

Thanks again guys - and to you too BB for posting that pics and explaining what that clip was!

-WF.

billybono

« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2006, 04:05 PM »
i just dont think there greased enough from the factory. i got a tube of napa grease stay glyde pn 765-1351 thats good to -20. i removed the shaft but the tube of grease to the end of the shaft tube and squeezed untill good grease came out of the other end of the tube.....but what came out before it? water broken down grease and water. i wasent impressed seeing as i only used a few of these tip ups 3 times. but after 10 trips i just tryed to re-pack the shaft and nothing but good grease came out ;D ;D ;D  so even if they unspool fairly smooth at room tempurature, im sure that if there is water in that shaft, that in the field its binding things up....let us know how you make out

billybono

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:29 PM »
I'm gonna go pickup a few things after class tonight for a weekend outing and plan on getting some grease as you mentioned... hopefully wallyworld will have some or else I'll have to stop by an auto shop tomorrow and get some... either way I'll post my results when I get back this weekend.   One final question fer ya BB - how'd ya get your spools spooled so nice and neatly?  Mine seem to be a bit more 'all over the place' so to speak.  Evenly spooled, yet maybe a bit more winded and not quite as 'clean'?!

Thanks again,
WF.

billybono

« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:21 PM »
well i wouldent exactly call them nice and spooled but i got a trick and if you have more paitentce than me, yours will look better. i put mine vertical in a bench vise to start so the spool out is horizontal. then i tied on the line and set the spool of line laying flat on the floor. then i took my cordless drill and just pushed the bare bit against the cork. lightly squeese the drill just to get the spool spinning, then guide your line where you want it with your free hand. as you get the hang of it you will be able to increase your drill speed and do them pretty fast  ;)

billybono

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:46 PM »
Aaaahhhhh genious idea!  GEEZ I love IS!!!  :clap: :clap:  Good pointer, I planned on respooling em this weekend so I will now add a cordless drill to my packlist ;).

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2006, 06:40 PM »
Billybono - this is probably long overdue, as I forgot to followup on this thread.  That weekend I was at the lake I regreased all my tipup shafts, even two brand new unopened ones and I have to say that the grease included from the factory was crap, at least IMO!  I filled the whole shaft hole or whatever they are called and respooled them with your drill concept (let me tell you that is ONE SLICK idea!!!) - and they worked FLAWLESSLY!  Granted that weekend I only caught several more on tipups than what I usually do, and this weekend I caught a lot more on tipups.  Not one of them both weekends had problems with the bait being picked off, and only one the flag didnt trigger that had a fish - and it was a REAL small one at that!

Just wanted to say thanks for the pointers, they were much appreciated, worked well, and now I am not experiencing the problems I was before!!!!

Thanks man!

-WF.

billybono

« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2006, 06:35 PM »
im glad it worked out for ya  ;D

billybono

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.