Author Topic: shooting through the hull??  (Read 1901 times)

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
shooting through the hull??
« on: Feb 28, 2016, 09:52 PM »
I have a kevlar canoe.just bought an lx7 .would like to use it in the summer..using the same ice ducer..I was thinking of a short piece of pvc pipe  maybe 3 in or so glued to the floor bottom
under the back seat. big enough to fit the ducer inside then fill up with water.Anyone do this or have a similar setup ..how does it work?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: shooting through the hull??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2016, 09:56 PM »
That is possible! As long as you dont mind a constant, extremely annoying clicking sound all day.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2016, 04:22 AM »
You don't need 3" of pipe.   Just as long as the business end of the transducer is wet and coupled to the hull you should get something.   I don't have any experience with kevlar, but with my aluminum rowboat I just put the puck (this is long before my LX-7) in a puddle of water on the bottom of the boat.  It worked fine, unless the water was contaminated with oil.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:54 AM »
Vasaline on your ducer helps as well. Kinda like an ultrasound  :-\

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2016, 01:52 PM »
You don't need 3" of pipe.   Just as long as the business end of the transducer is wet and coupled to the hull you should get something.   I don't have any experience with kevlar, but with my aluminum rowboat I just put the puck (this is long before my LX-7) in a puddle of water on the bottom of the boat.  It worked fine, unless the water was contaminated with oil.

I was thinking the little bit of PVC will keep the
Iceducer from rolling around in the canoe.
And will always keep it wet.and yes would
Help keep oil,beer,or any other skeeve off the
Xducer.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Feb 29, 2016, 07:50 PM »
a buddy uses marine goop and gooped his ducer to the bottom of his kayak and likes it.

http://kayaksportfishing.com/equipment/submissions/ted/fishfinder/fishfinder.htm
www.fishfindersource.c om/4-ways-to-mount-a-transducer-in-a-kayak/

Apply marine goop(or silicon) in the size of your transducer and housing to the area in the hull that you cleaned with alcohol. Apply generously, and make sure that there are NO AIR BUBBLES trapped in the goop. Any air bubbles will SEVERELY COMPROMISE the readings. Apply a piece of duct tape to the top of the transducer and housing – this is to keep it secure on the inside of the hull as the goop dries. Place the transducer on the goop, nice and secure, and tape it down with the duct tape. Once it’s a little dry, you can remove the tape. You can also apply a little bit of marine goop on top of the transducer, too. Wait at least 24-48 hours till dry.

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2016, 10:03 AM »
I do a ton of kayak fishing, especially Lake Michigan for salmon.  In my older kayak (won a Hobie late last year), I actually used closed cell foam with a cutout that matched the transducer to my fish finder (humminbird 587 HD DI).  I gooped that down, and then put lithium grease in the cutout portion.  I put the ducer into the lithium grease (and held by the foam) and this worked great for 2 years.  I had to reapply some grease one time, and I fish year round and transport my kayak on it's side.  No issues and don't have to worry about not getting any air bubbles in the goop (or gooping your ducer!). 

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2016, 10:10 PM »
yea ..i don't want to goop my xducer..this is why i want to goop the piece of pvc to the hull..than drop the xducer into the pvc..with a bit of water.then i can take it out at the end of the day.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2016, 10:17 PM »
i used electricians putty. flatten out a piece onto the floor and press the ducer on top. just needs a thin layer to stick the ducer to the floor.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2016, 08:02 AM »
i used electricians putty. flatten out a piece onto the floor and press the ducer on top. just needs a thin layer to stick the ducer to the floor.
seems like this would obscure the sound waves being it's an insulator for energy. did you try other media's and this one worked best or is it what you had handy to try?

check out the retail cost!
http://www.amazon.com/Scotchfil-Electrical-Insulation-SCOTCHFIL-Length/dp/B001A5MBBU

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2016, 05:00 AM »
yea ..i don't want to goop my xducer..this is why i want to goop the piece of pvc to the hull..than drop the xducer into the pvc..with a bit of water.then i can take it out at the end of the day.

has anyone tried this??

Offline dani

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2016, 06:20 AM »
Give this a try. Put your transducer in a clear plastic bag filled with water on the floor of your canoe. It should work fine, the canoe doesn't need to be in the water for the trial.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2016, 06:49 AM »
seems like this would obscure the sound waves being it's an insulator for energy. did you try other media's and this one worked best or is it what you had handy to try?

check out the retail cost!
http://www.amazon.com/Scotchfil-Electrical-Insulation-SCOTCHFIL-Length/dp/B001A5MBBU
i have tried the 3" PVC pipe sealed to the hull with water in it. seal did not stick. tried roughing the floor and siliconed the ducer to it and that did not stick. cleaning the silicone off the ducer was a buggar. went on a kayak site and saw this and tried it. sticks and stays in place. signal is accurate. temp is only a couple of degrees off. i compared my readings with a friend who had his directly in the water Cost of the putty is about $3. don't need much.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-Duct-Seal-Compound-1-lb-Plug-1-Each-DS-110/100212441

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2016, 10:26 AM »
i have tried the 3" PVC pipe sealed to the hull with water in it. seal did not stick. tried roughing the floor and siliconed the ducer to it and that did not stick. cleaning the silicone off the ducer was a buggar. went on a kayak site and saw this and tried it. sticks and stays in place. signal is accurate. temp is only a couple of degrees off. i compared my readings with a friend who had his directly in the water Cost of the putty is about $3. don't need much.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-Duct-Seal-Compound-1-lb-Plug-1-Each-DS-110/100212441
i'll try it with the lx9. i have a spare transducer for kicks. i cast to shore all the time fly fishing, so i don't need a sonar in the kayak so far, but will be fun to experiment.

good info for us here, thanks again!

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2016, 10:47 AM »
I have no experience with it, but have heard putting the ducer on a wet towel on the floor of the boat works.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2016, 02:47 PM »
My gooped foam with lithium grease (instead of water) works great.  Shoots through the plastic hull in my kayak and no problem marking fish out to 200 ft of water on Lake Michigan. 

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2016, 04:09 PM »
Clean the surface, put a circle of silicone a bit larger than the ducer, about 3/4" high. Let dry, fill with water. Place ducer in water. Magic!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2016, 05:15 AM »

OK this looks like some sort of black putty.how did you
Use this for this application .did you putty the xducer
To the hull.putty the PVC to the hull.make a container
Out of the putty to house the xducer...??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.