Author Topic: Ice Auger opinions (Strikemaster)  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Auger opinions (Strikemaster)
« on: Feb 27, 2016, 11:27 PM »
                The old Lazer Mag is starting to show it's age and it's probably going to be time to get a new one pretty soon.  I'm really leaning towards the Honda 4 stroke but I don't know how the power would compare to the 2 stroke and I really like being able to punch a lot of holes quick.  Anyone have one or the other?

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Auger opinions (Strikemaster)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2016, 09:21 AM »
I have the Strikemaster with the Honda,   drilling machine.  You just hang on no need at all to apply any kind of down pressure on the auger.

Starts great  runs very quiet.  HEY IT'S A HONDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHOTGUN

Offline Snell1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2016, 11:49 AM »
I also have the strikemaster Honda and love it. I pulled the steel wool out of my exhaust like Honda puts in all of their small engines to make them quiet and it made quite a difference in power and runnability. Still the quietest and lightest auger out there and drills a fast hole.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2016, 12:07 PM »
I also have the strikemaster Honda and love it. I pulled the steel wool out of my exhaust like Honda puts in all of their small engines to make them quiet and it made quite a difference in power and runnability. Still the quietest and lightest auger out there and drills a fast hole.

I never heard of that,   is it just inside a screen or where do I access it

THANKS

Offline Snell1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2016, 12:36 PM »
You pull the air filter cover and then a couple metric allen bolts to pull the plastic cover. Its really easy and you don't have to mess with the recoil at all. All the honda generators have them and you have to clean them every so often because they plug up with carbon. I thought mine was a little under powered, so i figured i'd check to see if Honda put something in the exhaust. Sure enough, plugged with steel wool. Pulled it out and it has made a world of difference. It is louder than before, but still quieter than any 2 stroke. More power and I don't have to let it warm up for 2 minutes anymore. Fire it up and drill.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2016, 01:12 PM »
I have had the Honda 4 stroke - 8" for 2 seasons.  Wonderful machine.  Plus side: Lots of power, quiet, burns very little fuel.  Negative side:  It sometimes catches at the bottom of the hole. 
I had an operation a few years ago where my sternum was cut and then wired back together.  After drilling about 4 holes the pain from the sternum finishes me.  The majority of you will never experience this but just a note for older fishers.

I now have an ION 8" and can drill as many holes as I want.  It is battery operated so will last only so long on a charge.  The most I have drilled is 14 - 24" holes in a day.  The battery was still charged.  The ION has the " no catch cutting system " where the Honda has the Mora set-up, V - shape.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2016, 04:38 PM »
Can't say mine has ever caught up on the bottom of the hole but I can sure see where that would be a painful bugger for sure.  I too looked at the ION last year but when I saw the Strike master with the Honda was 23lb. compared to 22 for the Ion it made my decision to stay with proven gas easier.

SHOTGUN

Offline mikeo2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2016, 07:00 PM »
Love my Honda bug I've found its a b*tch to start when it's cold out. Anyone else have this problem?

Offline Snell1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2016, 07:17 PM »
Mine was when I got it. I read in another forum that you can't flood them, so I prime mine until there is straight fuel coming around the return line( no air). Sometimes I prime it 10 times, but it always starts second pull.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2016, 10:24 AM »
I have a Toro mower that says prime 10 times so I do the same with my Honda auger, starts  every time 1st. or 2nd. pull  They do take  minute or two of warm up, which I think is going to stop when I pull the wool out of the muffler.

SHOTGUN

Offline Snell1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2016, 11:27 AM »
Shotgun, post after you pull that steel wool to see if its made any difference. I've run mine like that for 2 seasons and couldn't be happier.

Offline Shrubs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 29, 2016, 09:29 PM »
        Reviews seem positive for the Honda and should be  any easy decision but mikeo2 mentioned the cold weather hard starting and I've read some of the same rumblings around the interweb.  If pulling the restriction out of the exhaust would solve that I'm sold but I'd like to add that mixing gas isn't a huge deal as far as I'm concerned.  Main thing is not fighting wth s***.  Not even a little bit.

Offline Mayhem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2016, 04:10 PM »
Myself and my two fishing buds each own one of these augers with the stock exhaust and have never had a cold weather starting issue. That said, two of us did have problems with the motor bogging and loosing power under load (once warmed up) the first couple trips out but they have both since ran fine. We purchased them at CT this past fall when they were clearing out last years stock so attributed the performance issues to the long storage time? I dunno. These engines sip fuel and are so tight you definitely need to run premium for best performance. Mine's an 8" and the only thing I don't care for is the design of the auger bit. There are two pieces of round-bar bracing from the bit to the start of the first flyte that will build-up ice fairly quickly when it's below -20 or so. Other than that it's a great machine.

Offline Shotgun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2016, 12:26 PM »
I did pull the wool out of the exhaust, it is a bit louder but starts just as quick and for sure delivers more rpm.

That being said I think I will keep it stock as Honda shipped it. Just me, but I kinda like to stay with fac. specs.

SHOTGUN

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2016, 03:54 PM »
I have the 10" Strikemaster  flighting on a Tanaka TIA 350. Drills through 30 inches of ice faster than an Eskimo Z71 and is also very light (17.6 lbs for the powerhead)) and quiet. This is a 2 stroke motor with the best Warranty in the business, 7 years.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.