Author Topic: Ice out fishing questions  (Read 513 times)

Offline Backbay Gunner

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice out fishing questions
« on: Feb 27, 2016, 05:57 PM »
Ok guys. So today I put the boat in and tried fishing with my vexilar and ice rod for bluegill. Marked lots of fish. Was not very successful. Purposely left open water rods at home because I wanted to try this type of fishing as I know several guys are productive. Questions- first what depth of water do you pros target. 2nd- what types of jigs are used. 3rd-  is bait used on those jigs??? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice out fishing questions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2016, 06:34 PM »
Definitely not a pro but the best place to start is right where you left off on the ice.  Fish should be in the same place and eat the same thing as before ice out.  It will only begin to change as the water continues to warm.  As the water warms and the fish get more aggressive you can upsize your lure.

The biggest difference between the ice and the boat is boat control.  If your using really light tackle fishing schools of fish that are on the move it is really difficult to maintain boat control without water that is flat as glass.  This becomes easier if you are fishing structure that is holding fish or as the fish become more aggressive and you can upsize your bait so you have more "feel".

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.