Author Topic: Where are those hidden gems?  (Read 1765 times)

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where are those hidden gems?
« on: Feb 26, 2016, 08:06 AM »
Headed up to the lovely Webster area tomorrow with a couple good friends.   Would love to find a good slough to try out for some Perch.  I am really looking for a 15" for the wall! Just one! I know everyone wants the same thing and I understand if nobody is will to part with any info that could help me out with this, but if you know how I feel about this feel free to send me a PM.

Offline SDPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Where are those hidden gems?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2016, 08:44 AM »
If you find this gem-filled slough, let me know!

If you're looking to catch a big one there are three places that come to mind.. Dry #2, Indian Springs or Bitter.. Don't expect to catch a limit on any of these places but they've been known to hold large Perch. Move around a lot and search for them.

Offline SODAKIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2016, 08:56 AM »
Gotta agree with PerchPounder here...Get out and put some miles on your vehicle. There are places out there just as you describe but once you find it I would keep quiet about it or the slough will be fished out in a short amount of time. Best advice I would give if there is water count on their being fish in it. Sometimes you strike out...sometimes you hit a homerun.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2016, 09:28 AM »
If you find a nice little hidden gem,  please don't say anything on the internet or it will be a fished out little gem in no time. There are reasons why this information is hard to get.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline SDPerchPounder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2016, 09:59 AM »
Agree. Don't tell anyone. Except me.  ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2016, 11:53 AM »
We'll keep it between us.  ;) I was catching perch up to 15 3/4" in a small lake in the Webster area some years ago. The word got out and the lake was fished out the following winter. It was the same winter during which Long Lake got shut down by the land owner.  :%$#!:

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2016, 12:48 PM »
what a rush that would of been to see that big of a perch coming up the hole.  hopefully I get to see it sometime. my biggest is 14.25 and its on the wall waiting for a friend. that was caught off of bitter.

Offline moab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2016, 03:43 PM »
You and a couple of buddies ..... and most of the Midwest I'm sure.   Fish of that caliber should be earned and not given.  Granted some get lucky and have a fishing accident  but nothing beats hard work and time spent.  I'm still on that same search myself,  I keep hearing about those white unicorns but haven't laid my eyes on one .....YET!   After countless 14+ off those lakes mentioned and others it still eludes me.  Good luck in your pursuit!

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2016, 07:19 PM »
I accept that. thank you.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2016, 10:35 PM »
My 15 3/4" Perch was caught during summer on a 1/4 oz leadhead with a 4" fathead minnow while fishing for walleye. My son and I caught seven proud angler Perch that afternoon.

Offline ryan3703

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2016, 07:21 AM »
That's awesome what a fun day!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.