The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: "It's over Johnny" - fish addicts survival strategy  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
"It's over Johnny" - fish addicts survival strategy
« on: Feb 25, 2016, 07:13 PM »
Hopefully not but I think it is. This weeks weather and the little bit of cold isn't going to be enough to save it.

What next?
1. Clean up the boat kayak (whatever floats ya),
2. Service the rods & reels for the spring
3. Fly tying,
4. Lead pouring
5. Rod building
6. Outdoor shows - always good to get new toys. 
7. Plenty of cold beers

These get me through the period of bad ice and ice out. The beer helps a lot.  And last but not least if you have the time and the cash take trip down south to fish for pelagics.

Let's pray (and hope [for the atheists] I hate PC crap) next years ice comes in early and stays late.

Good Luck tight lines....I have striper rods to tune up and a bunch of junk on my yak that needs a relocation.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: "It's over Johnny" - fish addicts survival strategy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2016, 04:08 AM »
My plan is to take out my frustrations on the local coyotes along with doing some shooting, reloading, order some more ice fishing gear, and the occasional prayer for a major polar vortex to hit us in March.

Offline ice-phanatic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2016, 10:31 AM »
I've been thinking my last ice fishing day of the season was last Saturday. Nice list above on what to do next. I'll definitely be doing #'s 1, 2, and 7. As well as open water fishing.

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2016, 02:38 PM »
Yep...number seven is last for a reason. If I put seven first nothing else gets done.
Have fun fellas and good luck And God bless

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2016, 11:44 AM »
May fish this Western PA Hardwater tournament on Saturday if the ice is good, then I'm done regardless.

- Waiting for blue winged olives to start hatching on spring creek and fishing creek. Then onto caddis and sulphurs..
- Waiting for things to warm up, so I can get a spring steelhead trip or two in, and also so the bass go into prespawn and spawn mode.. Got first club tournament of the year on April 9.
- Organizing and taking inventory on everything on my boat, hit on the idea this year of writing the depth on the bill of all my crankbaits.

And, while the season this year was short, and I only fished three lakes (seems every time I wanted to make a road trip to a big-name impoundment, the ice was never safe), I had some of my best days on the ice ever, including some triple digit numbers days. My theory is that, last year, when we had 2-3 feet of ice, some of the oxygen dissipated, significantly slowing the fishing down.
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing/videos

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2016, 04:20 PM »
LAST POST OF THE SEASON, MY NEW CRESTLINER VT IS IN IN 3 WEEKS, LOOKS LIKE ITS GONNA BE A GREAT EARLY OPENWATER SEASON, SEE YA ALL NEXT YEAR :tipup:

Offline Bump19056

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2016, 08:06 PM »
To get thru till next season I will be:

Kayak Fishing in local tournaments.
Buying some more Hardwater gear
Making jigs
Drinking a lot of Beer
Drinking even more whiskey...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor