The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Walleye vs Trout in Wyoming what are your thoughts?  (Read 5117 times)

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Walleye vs Trout in Wyoming what are your thoughts?
« on: Feb 25, 2016, 08:26 AM »
It was suggested in the G&F comments to start a new thread on the subject so I will chime in with my thoughts. I'm born and raised in WY. Since I was old enough I've fished all over the state and beyond. I grew up catching trout and when old enough was taught how to fly fish then tie my own stuff. When young we would to MN for vacation and catch walleye, perch, crappie and northerns. My uncle in MN was born and raised in WY. I remember them talking about "If only trout were this good to eat." We still ate the trout but moved on to fishing most of the time Keyhole because we could catch bigger fish and better eating fish.

As an adult I couldn't afford to travel around the state and fly fish, but Keyhole was close. As time moved on when I could travel around and fly fish and boat fish I just started to fish for walleye's. They don't fight better but it a thinking game. I love to eat them as well as perch and crappies.

I then did a little research and figured out that rainbow, brown, lake, golden and brook trout were brought here and planted. (Invasive species?) Sauger, catfish, and walleye occurred in several of the major rivers systems that leave WY. Cutthroat being the only naturally occurring trout.

I have worked in retail sporting goods a couple times over the years and remember that trout fisherman are kind of "cheep" LOL. Walleye fisherman spend a LOT more money for there toys. (I've never seen a $70,000 trout fishing boat).

I don't understand the G&F's stand on TROUT or WALLEYE in the state of Wyoming. It's very unclear at least to me and I've done a lot of research. I do love fishing in Wyoming, No place like it around the country. I like to catch trout sometimes but don't understand why they don't get bigger than they do except Flaming Gorge of course. LOL

The one thing I do know is I don't get it but I guess it's not for me to decide.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Walleye vs Trout in Wyoming what are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2016, 09:21 AM »
Walleye certainly do well in some places in WY.  But most of the state waters are not suitable for walleye and panfish for that matter, they are cold for too much of the season.  Yes, lakes in Canada and Minnesota et al. get cold in the winter, but they also get very warm during the summer.  More importantly, most are shallower and more productive, so they warm up quickly, and they have more prey species to feed predators like walleye.  Trout do well at high elevation lakes, and feed primarily on zooplankton and invertebrates, so they do not need forage fish like walleye. 

People always want the fish they cant catch IMHO.  In Alaska, they have ridiculously good salmon fishing, but many of these fisheries have been ruined by people stocking pike!  They want to catch white fleshed fish, even though pike will quickly get stunted after they crash the salmon populations.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2016, 09:56 AM »
First off. I'm not sure why it's a walleye vs trout thing? What's wrong with having places to fish for both? You want trout, go here or there. You want walleye, crappie, perch, go here or there. And in a few cases, you can fish for both in the same place (Pathfinder, Seminoe, DeSmet, Boysen). Pretty darn flipping cool if you ask me. Everyone has there preferences. Take your preference for what you like to fish for and go there. Every water doesn't have to be a walleye water and every water doesn't have to be a trout water. I think we've got a pretty good mix of both.

Numerous fish have been introduced into Wyoming to provide sport fisheries, this also includes the walleye. Wyoming is a headwater state. Locations for walleye fisheries are limited. It's not like we're in the land of 10,000 lakes. We have done our best to make the best fisheries possible, both trout and walleye.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2016, 09:58 AM »
No reason you can't have the best of both worlds in my opinion.  The SE corner of the state produces some fantastic trout fishing (world class really)... the Plains lakes have a ton of food for them and they grow fast and big.  The Gorge has long produced world class lake trout too.

Glendo, Grayrocks and Boysen are excellent walleye lakes and produce really nice catfish and crappie too.  Seminoe, Alcova and Pathfinder have good trout and walleye fishing. 

I suspect this topic is mainly in response to the Pathfinder limit proposal.  I think it is a lake that can be managed and tweaked to provide great walleye fishing and trout fishing alike.  If it were up to me I would raise license fees (they haven't been raised in some time and it is overdue) and put the money toward stocking more trout.... more trout means more opportunities for trout fisherman and for the walleyes to get big... win win if you ask me.  And yes I realize stocking trout for walleye food is expensive but look what they do in California with largemouth bass... what you get for the price is world class fish, which is worth the cost imo.

On a side note:  I think our game and fish does a good job trying to walk this delicate line between keeping the trout guys happy and the walleye guys happy.  But I can think of one lake that I wish would be managed differently... Sulphur Creek Reservoir in SW Wyoming had walleye and smallmouth bass illegally planted... the trout fishing has gone downhill big time... trout over 20" are extremely rare most of the trout are unhealthy looking.  The game and fish has spent money and time netting and removing walleye... I think  they should put some perch in there and allow the lake to become a walleye lake (perch for food).  SW  Wyoming is one of the only regions of the state really I can think of that does not have any walleye lakes or lakes managed for walleyes... (probably the reason people put walleye in there illegally!!!)  End rant.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2016, 10:03 AM »
First off. I'm not sure why it's a walleye vs trout thing? What's wrong with having places to fish for both? You want trout, go here or there. You want walleye, crappie, perch, go here or there. And in a few cases, you can fish for both in the same place (Pathfinder, Seminoe, DeSmet, Boysen). Pretty darn flipping cool if you ask me. Everyone has there preferences. Take your preference for what you like to fish for and go there. Every water doesn't have to be a walleye water and every water doesn't have to be a trout water. I think we've got a pretty good mix of both.

Numerous fish have been introduced into Wyoming to provide sport fisheries, this also includes the walleye. Wyoming is a headwater state. Locations for walleye fisheries are limited. It's not like we're in the land of 10,000 lakes. We have done our best to make the best fisheries possible, both trout and walleye.

At the end of the day no matter what you guys do, there will be people who will whine and moan about it.  Some people are just never happy and can never be pleased, not just when it comes to fishing but hunting too.  I respect the work you guys do and really appreciate it when you give us facts and statistics on the fish populations when you are proposing a change in regulations or management.  Fish biologists are the experts they went to school for this and they know what they are doing.  Some anglers think they know it all when it comes to limits and length restrictions and they don't have a clue.  Decisions should be made for the most part on sound science, not on angler opinions.  That is my opinion.  (I have my opinions on management like everyone else does but I don't have access to the data or a degree in biology so when I rant about a lake like Sulphur Creek I'm really just pissin' in the wind)

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2016, 10:22 AM »
[quote author=gemcityslayer link=topic=331710.msg3511127#msg3511127

On a side note:  I think our game and fish does a good job trying to walk this delicate line between keeping the trout guys happy and the walleye guys happy.  But I can think of one lake that I wish would be managed differently... Sulphur Creek Reservoir in SW Wyoming had walleye and smallmouth bass illegally planted... the trout fishing has gone downhill big time... trout over 20" are extremely rare most of the trout are unhealthy looking.  The game and fish has spent money and time netting and removing walleye... I think  they should put some perch in there and allow the lake to become a walleye lake (perch for food).  SW  Wyoming is one of the only regions of the state really I can think of that does not have any walleye lakes or lakes managed for walleyes... (probably the reason people put walleye in there illegall!!!)  End rant.
[/quote]

X2
I'm happy with the option to travel a little and choose the species you wish to target.
Heck, I asked my wife if we could move to Shoshoni a few years ago....we still are in Kemmerer..... :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2016, 12:37 PM »
I am a Greenie!  That said I spend my $104.50 every year and get the most out of it. I drove to Wyoming from east of Denver 50 times last year.

I catch large trout-much larger and more of them-than I can catch in Colorado. I catch lots of walleye also.  Wyo has better limits, less pressure, many more free places to camp and fish than Colorado.

Less regulations, excellent fishing, the roads are better, I can go on and on.   If you think Wyo fishing isnt top-notch, move to Colorado and join me on a 800 acre lake with 300 boats on it- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline wyoeyes!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2016, 01:41 PM »
The trout we caught in Pathfinder this winter were in exceptional shape and on average larger than I've seen, ever (30 years experience). I attribute the larger size fish to fewer being stocked because of the budget problems the G&F were having combined with having high water in the system. I believe until recently the lake was over stocked with rainbows which resulted in smaller fish. Because of budget short falls, why wouldn't we want a naturally reproducing game fish in our waters? Now if the reason for increasing the walleye limit was to safeguard a fishery collapse that's a different story, by all means, lets get them harvested before we loose them, but if it is because we all of this hatchery capacity and not seeing the returns on investment well.......

Didn't we try a 20 fish walleye limit in Seminoe. How'd that work? Lake is fine with a 6 walleye limit and plenty of trout and walleyes to be had by all.

One more thought, IMO there ought to be a lower limit on brown trout in Pathfinder and Seminoe since they are all natural. Allowed to multiply, I think they would likely help fill the niche lost by the dumb hatchery rainbows.       

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2016, 04:46 PM »
I think that there are several places to catch what ever fish you are targeting just have to figure out how to catch them.  On a side note, the game and fish no longer stock catfish into boysen and they will not stock them again because of the natural sauger population in the river that is one of only three natural sauger population around I believe.

Ocean lake here is a put and take walleye lake, it gets too warm in the summer to hold trout, and Pilot Butte is a great trout fishery and I do not have to go far to get to any of the lakes.  I know in pilot Butte they released some brook trout and I have not caught any but think that this could be a great fish in the lake along with the browns and rainbows.

On another side note I cannot wait until they stock some tigers in Ocean lake, I would like to see some northern pike around here but understand that they can get into boysen and hurt the sauger population so it is a tight line that the game and fish walks to keep us fisherman and fisherwomen happy to catch some fish.  I just hope the blue gill in Bass lake take off better and can be caught while out fishing.

Tight lines and my rant for the day.

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2016, 10:16 PM »
I think that the best part of ice fishing is not knowing what fish might come up next. One of my best fishing outings at ocean lake, me and a friend were catching perch. I caught a fish that I had never seen before. We actually had to look it up on our phones to figure out that it was a crappie, we had never seen one before! I have caught many since, but the excitement of not knowing is my favorite part of fishing hard water. In my opinion, I think that catching trout or walleye are equally fun and that is all that matters.
Come on fish!

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2016, 10:29 PM »
I born and raised Wyoming. The argument with trout and walleye has in the last decade become a movement. I'll base my argument on a certain lake. Desmit; Its been a trout fishery for years. All growing up it was trout and perch. Perch started disappearing and for the life of me, I can't recall of every catching a 10lb trout out of that res. I've seen a few and I mean very few. You go to Alcova, Pathfinder, Semino. Big fish Big fish. Desmit stockers and skinny. I've fished Desmit from a boat and off shore. Dorado you state that cold lakes don't produce walleye or at least they need to warm up some. Then explain Desmit. Walleye population is growing at a rapid pace and for this fisherman, no complaints. I believe its got to be based off the food/forage population. Not temp. I believe we have to get away from what my Grand fathers generation ideals. Back in the day if my grandfather caught a walleye in Wyoming he called it a junk fish. Killed it and through it out. Now its a sin. I've known a few Biologest I went to college with them and they are still good friends, most have moved up to Alaska to become Samoan biologest. Funky thing they all wanted to stay in Wyoming but for some reason. If your born and raised in Wyoming you have a very difficulty time getting a job with fish and game. Or got to get the PHD then you might have a shot. And every time they come home to fish, they wished we had more waters available to harvest walleyes. Good eating fish and very challenging. Appleye hit it on the head. Trout fisherman don't spend money, Walleye fisherman where is the sporting goods store? Which is great to the local economy. Which is a great for the fishery in my opinion. I'll vote for the walleye. To the Game and Fish I believe they do there best on walking that line on the argument. Hats off no really big complaints at this time. Slot limit is the only thing I have issues with.

Conclusion;
I fly fish and spinner fish in the mountains and mountain lakes for trout. Love it!!!! I walleye fish with my check book in the Reservoirs. I catch and release trout and eat the hell out of walleye. Early ice off trout in alcova and pathfinder can't bet, good slabs and tasty. Not mushy due to warm temps. When I can't catch a walleye to save my life. I just grab the gear and go fishing for trout. Trolling cranks. Ya, fun but not challenging. But some times due to money I don't get the opportunity travel. But with my location I really can't complain cause I have both close. But when I was a POOR college kid. It did matter, and that's where I believe this argument is based on. Its not Trout vs. Walleye its how much money you have to determin what fish you want to catch. If your wealthy enough to travel you don't care if you have to drive a couple hours away to chase. If your on a budget and want to put some food on the table and have a variety of species, it does. Outdoors entertainment is becoming a rich mans game. Its no longer cheap form of recreation. Just have to pick your opportunities and watch your checkbook.

I agree with gem on licensing. Why raise my elk tag, but the most costly item is birds and fish??? So why don't we raise licenses on these??? Again I believe its wealthy vs. non.
No one left behind.     

Offline chukarbird

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:12 PM »
If something works, go with it! If walleye wins the competition, so be it. When I go fishing, I want to catch fish. I love walleye fishing and eating. I own a boat, pay my license fees, fuel, & park entry fees. How many trout fishermen do the same. The cost of raising trout to feed walleye is crazy, there are plenty of waters that are great for trout...thanks to our knowledgeable fisheries managers.
Does anyone remember when Glendo was a great trout fishery? Maybe 40 years ago! It is now a great walleye fishery! Does anyone wish there were more trout in Glendo now. I think not.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:20 PM »
I think Dorado was correct in his opinion / reference to walleyes not doing well in really cold water.  Everywhere in Wyoming gets cold for awhile in the winter but Lake De Smet is roughly 4,600 ft above sea level... I believe Dorado was talking about really high elevation lakes in WY that would not support walleye populations.... (9,000 ft and above)... there are dozens and dozens of high country lakes that fit this bill and they are colder than the lower elevation lakes that support eyes.

I think the money issue is kind of an odd way of looking at things... You don't have to spend more money to catch walleyes... Trout fisherman spend money on bait and gas just like walleye guys do.  I do think it is obvious that walleye fishing is more of a challenge... anyone who claims they can go catch a mess of walleyes whenever they want will lie about other things too... they can be tricky to catch and right when you think you have them figured out the pattern changes.  But I don't think you necessarily have to spend more money to be successful catching eyes... slip bobber and leech or heck just throw a leech out on a jighead you'll catch some eyes... I fish for trout and walleye and I catch a lot of trout on my "walleye tackle".

Anyhow the good thing is that we don't have to make this a black and white discussion... we don't have to choose whether or not we want walleyes only or trout only... there are clearly some lakes that have an ecosystem that will only support trout, there are some lakes like Grayrocks that get too hot for trout... and there are likes like Pathfinder that can have healthy populations of trout and walleye.  But we can't make every lake suitable for the fish species we want... game and fish has to decide based on the ecosystem and funding what to do with each specific water and they do a pretty good job...sometimes they make mistakes but I'm sure they have learned a thing or two over the decades.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:34 PM »
I am a Greenie!  That said I spend my $104.50 every year and get the most out of it. I drove to Wyoming from east of Denver 50 times last year.

I catch large trout-much larger and more of them-than I can catch in Colorado. I catch lots of walleye also.  Wyo has better limits, less pressure, many more free places to camp and fish than Colorado.

Less regulations, excellent fishing, the roads are better, I can go on and on.   If you think Wyo fishing isnt top-notch, move to Colorado and join me on a 800 acre lake with 300 boats on it- ;)

I think you hit the nail on the head and I for one appreciate the CO guys who come up and spend money in WY and spend more for their license.  The more the merrier in my opinion.  We are the most fortunate anglers in the entire country in terms of fishing pressure and access to camping spots, etc.  We are truly spoiled.  I laugh when I'm at the lake and there are 3-4 other groups fishing and someone comments on how "busy this place has gotten"...

I won't say fishing pressure isn't a factor at all but for the most part harvest is minimal compared to other states and I think people in this state are a little uptight when they see other people keeping limits of fish... We have plenty of fish for everyone, even the Colorado and Nebraska folks who fish our waters.  In this state drought is the biggest factor when looking at fish populations... I'd much rather have people harvesting fish on a regular basis and utilizing the resources than see the resource go to waste when we get hit by a big drought and have huge die offs. 

It is nice that we can have a discussion on here and so many people are informed and feel like they can share their opinions... Thanks to all who have commented and will comment.  Cheers!

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2016, 06:48 AM »
   Can anyone tell me why the limit should be raised on walleye in Pathfinder. Based on other fisherman's creel limits,I wouldn't say there is a glut on walleye in this lake. We fish entirely for walleye and catch 6 trout to 1 walleye on an average day. I think a good balance can be sustained in Pathfinder by leaving it alone and let nature take it's course.

Offline mark d.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2016, 08:43 AM »
I did not read every line y'all wrote but in my opinion it's not what we want it's what the out of state big advertisement money they are geared to.the world class trout fisheries that bring in big money to Jackson and so forth. Like I said I may be wrong

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2016, 10:05 AM »
I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses and agree with almost everyone. I just wanted to start a conversation that everyone has an opinion. As sportsmen we don't have to agree with other but respect each other and that has been shown here!

I have some other thoughts but not sure if this is the place to open it up.

I would like to read about the science of how thing are decided. The great minnow debate for one. I would love to read how the minnows in the Platte river are different than the Wind River minnows. Why a Minnow in Glendo is different than ones in Seminoe.

I agree that in most places both can coexist T vs W.

I've watched the G&F move bait caught from Glendo (shad) and planted in some other lakes how things take off. In most lakes you see the results in a couple months both in size and health of the fish. In the winter most of the shad die off. Only takes a couple people and a transport truck to pull it off and the results in time and money spent are amazing. Most lakes with trout would take off in spades. Just curious why more of this isn't done?

Thanks for a great read!

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2016, 09:54 PM »
Here is my opinion on why keep the walleye numbers down on Sem, Path, and Alcova. Now I believe there is no way to keep all walleye out of Greys Reef. World class Trout fishery and a economic treasure. I think if the numbers are kept low. Less chance of introduction into a blue ribbon stream!!! Now we have walleye on both sides of the river but don't want them in the middle.

Minnows are a big issue I believe. North plate river drainage. A,B,C I would love to read the research as to what is the difference between the flatheads and other forage in this drainage and why you can't transport A-C? what's the difference.

Big one I always enjoyed is the TTR res, it flows into the res out of Wyoming but can't buy minnows in Sheridan. State line issues. Another funky area is Gorge and Yellowtail. Buy minnows in Montana or Utah but can't have them in Wyoming. Funky now I don't fish these enough to argue, but as for me Glendo vs. Alcova/pathfinder wild caught minnows????  This is why I'm loving the state minnows. At least we are trying to figure a way to combat this argument.
No one left behind.     

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2016, 09:59 PM »
I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses and agree with almost everyone. I just wanted to start a conversation that everyone has an opinion. As sportsmen we don't have to agree with other but respect each other and that has been shown here!

I have some other thoughts but not sure if this is the place to open it up.

I would like to read about the science of how thing are decided. The great minnow debate for one. I would love to read how the minnows in the Platte river are different than the Wind River minnows. Why a Minnow in Glendo is different than ones in Seminoe.

I agree that in most places both can coexist T vs W.

I've watched the G&F move bait caught from Glendo (shad) and planted in some other lakes how things take off. In most lakes you see the results in a couple months both in size and health of the fish. In the winter most of the shad die off. Only takes a couple people and a transport truck to pull it off and the results in time and money spent are amazing. Most lakes with trout would take off in spades. Just curious why more of this isn't done?

Thanks for a great read!

appleye:

The problem comes about because most folks call all small fish "minnows" and they are not.  If people were allowed to take "minnows" from the Wind River to the North Platte River some of those "minnows" could be small burbot (or any other species of fish) , then burbot or the other species of fish would be introduced in the North Platte system.

Regarding minnows in the North Platte, my understanding is that those minnows in Glendo are a different species than the minnow species that are up stream.  Minnow species can move down stream on their own, but they can not move upstream (past dams that are barriers) on their own - people have to move them via bait buckets.  So, if you have a certain minnow species in Glendo and you want to keep it below Casper or some point further downstream, then you would have to restrict the use of minnows caught in the Glendo area to that area.  The same thing is true for each reach of river as you progress upstream.

Regarding gizzard shad, its all about water temperature.

Not all lakes in Wyoming will support gizzard shad.  Most would never get warm enough in the summer for shad to spawn and for shad to be beneficial as a prey fish they have to spawn a couple time during the summer.  The beauty of Keyhole and Glendo is the summer water temperatures get just warm enough to be in the shad's spawning range all summer; so they spawn several times and the result is several size classes of shad for fish to eat by the end of the summer.   Then during the winter there is high mortality due to the long period of colder water temps.  The next year there may be a few adult shad left over or some may be transplanted back to those reservoirs and the cycle starts over again.

If G&F would transfer shad to Lake DeSmet they would not do much good because the summer water temperatures do not get high enough for shad to spawn.

Wyoming is on the northwestern edge of the area gizzard shad can survive.  If you go 500-600 miles east to eastern Nebraska or Iowa gizzard shad can become a real problem as they overwinter well and over populate. 

ClearCreek

Offline msmith1956

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2016, 08:58 PM »
Here is my opinion on why keep the walleye numbers down on Sem, Path, and Alcova. Now I believe there is no way to keep all walleye out of Greys Reef. World class Trout fishery and a economic treasure. I think if the numbers are kept low. Less chance of introduction into a blue ribbon stream!!! Now we have walleye on both sides of the river but don't want them in the middle.

Minnows are a big issue I believe. North plate river drainage. A,B,C I would love to read the research as to what is the difference between the flatheads and other forage in this drainage and why you can't transport A-C? what's the difference.

Big one I always enjoyed is the TTR res, it flows into the res out of Wyoming but can't buy minnows in Sheridan. State line issues. Another funky area is Gorge and Yellowtail. Buy minnows in Montana or Utah but can't have them in Wyoming. Funky now I don't fish these enough to argue, but as for me Glendo vs. Alcova/pathfinder wild caught minnows????  This is why I'm loving the state minnows. At least we are trying to figure a way to combat this argument.

Glad we agree on the statewides Special, I've said since the legalization of statewides that I think the days of using wild caught minnows are numbered

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 30, 2016, 06:19 AM »
Hey guys!

This is a good one appleye...

First of all the trout movement is organized. They are also fellow sporstmen. We are all in this together.

Would it be incorrect in stating the decline of native cutthroat probably started with the damming of natural spawning run habitat and the silting due to that fact? Then over harvest of the species by our not so conservation conscious forefathers and the stocking of non indigenous trout species. Now we are left struggling with a juggernaut of trying to save a dying population while maintaining healthy populations of other successful species in the same waters. I think I understand the introduction of other non native trout species as a put-and-take type population to lessen the burden on the cutthroat but one would think these high numbers of non cutthroat species also prey on the cutthroat as any other less desirable stocked species would. Carp will also forage on fry. Yes a fisherman may not even catch a cutthroat and instead take home a limit of other trout species still the ones left are there just making a living like any other animal would by also consuming the tasty cutts as part of their diet. So why are the walleye eradicated in some cases while the other invasive trout species are left to do their work on the cutts as well?

As far as water temps for sustaining a viable walleye population, yes the growth rate per year and reproduction can be slower, it takes longer, up to decades at times for fish to reach maturity but they can thrive. Walleye and pike are warm water species yet pike survive in the far reaches of the north close to the Arctic Circle in waters much colder then here. I understand the point of optimal conditions, still we cannot knock the success of some species.

I had game and fish tell me, when asking about the possibility of walleyes in Buffalo Bill Reservoir almost two decades ago, that "The water temps are way to cold for walleyes to reproduce and survive in the lake". According to reports, now that there is a population of Buffalo Bill walleyes they are systematically being destroyed by the dumpster full. The last report I got was 4 dumpsters of walleyes destroyed. Now anyone can understand attempting to save a threatened species. Got it! You-bet-ya! What I don't understand is the want and waste type of method of killing large numbers of "game" fish on one hand then turn around and buy the same "game" species from another state to stock in our waters. These species can and have at times introduce other invasive species. Then debate about lack of funding and raising license fees. Currently I am not for higher license fees until we can start properly managing the funding we do have. Don't get me wrong I am willing to pay more just not willing to throw good money after bad. Game and fish as a whole owes us their responsibility in management of our money the same as our wildlife. This is not a knock on the people working in the trenches either, you are appreciated. We need to change the way things are done before throwing more money at it.

It may have changed by now but the last I knew game and fish was still gill netting the trout in Buffalo Bill, killing all netted species while doing annual population surveys. I'm sorry but would it not be in our best interest to find a better way to check populations then the killing of a threatened species? I also asked this question and was told with a little chuckle "It doesn't hurt to kill a few in doing our work". From the look of the operation its an expensive one and probably the cheapest method. But, how could it be when they are killing the fish we paid to be stocked along with a threatened species. Sure they may need to sample things like diet from stomach content. Wait a minute as an avid fly fisherman I never found it hard to use my little sucker tool to see what the hatch was in stomach content and release the fish alive. The other studies are taken from the head, organs, skin, scales and fins hmmmm.... how do we get this. Duh! how about that fish cleaning station where most fish caught are cleaned then the grinder disposes of that coveted sample. Get the samples throughout the year before the grinder does.

Our large bodies of water in this state are limited. Yes, we're not the land of 10,000 lakes. Rivers are limited in access or navigation when it comes to walleye fishing so all we have is our reservoirs for the most part. Walleye fishing is ever popular which makes it another draw for nonresident anglers which increases revenue both in license sales and local economy. It only takes a bit of creative marketing on existing .gov websites to let them know. Stop killing the walleyes we do have. Transport over populations or captured unwanted walleyes to waters we normally purchase walleyes for. That money then would go into wages and the local economy by doing so. I say let the walleyes live in our reservoirs where they are proving their survival, strictly regulate the creel limits of the native cutthroat, put them on a catch and release only status until the situation improves. If trout unlimited is truly looking to protect cutthroat from the never ending blithe they would be all in on this as well. Non indigenous species of trout seem to do well alongside the walleyes so once again let the eyes live.

After all that, to answer your question appleye, I like all types of fishing and we do have diversity in this state. Though it might not be so convenient for some to get to the walleyes. The lakers in Buffalo Bill are considered an invasive species as well as a predator yet I don't recall there being dumpsters full tossed out. It just seems the trout are placed above other popular game fish species in order to protect an image. These days I think we need both to satisfy popularity and increase revenue while protecting what we already do have. Its a balancing act and if we at least try both species could be managed to a sustainable population. I challenge those given credit for having the biology degrees and the budget crunchers to figure it out so we can have more of both. Otherwise I guess we need to kill off all those darn whiteteils for eating the mule deer food and rio grande turkeys and grass carp and and and.... hehe... ;D 

Cheers!
Houligan 

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 30, 2016, 04:32 PM »
Houligan, you have a way with words sir. We are right now fighting with the G&F about their limit proposal on Pathfinder. I have yet to see anyone put it so eloquently as you just did. Do you mind if I share your post with some of the guys from NPWU that are working on this?
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 30, 2016, 07:59 PM »
Thanks rbmchief! Not sure what this post can do but share it if you think it will help. My point was only to shed some logic on the topic.

Cheers!
Houligan

Offline Lipripper1989

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2016, 09:58 PM »
I think we should have both I love to fly fish the rivers in the summer and do so strictly catch and release. Once the ice is on my preference is walleye and they are definitely better eating.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2016, 08:36 PM »
I have enjoyed all of your guys post and I agree with Appleeye- Walleyes are definitely less thought of by the Game and Fish..

This is the question i would like to pose that I haven't heard any other talk about- Why do we have to Trout and Walleyes in the same fishery?? Seems like every lake/reservoir that would be a great walleye fishery has trout in it???? WHY?????? everyone says well if you want trout go here and if you want walleys go there- Well tell me one place that you can go that just has "WALLEYE"S" in it????   My Point exactly!!!!
Marvin

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:19 PM »
Keyhole has no trout.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:35 PM »
Heck I even enjoy catching big fat carp and this last year on Boysen when fishing for perch I caught 8 large suckers on very light tackle FUN.  I have to admit when fishing for walleyes  it is bothersome to have perch steal my bait or dink walleyes swallowing the hook, but I am also excited to know that they are there for the future of the lake.  I think the lakes should be managed for fish that are for the bank fisherman and the people in the boats and for kids and trophy seekers.  I am unsure how the G&F can balance the needs and wants of such a diverse sportsmen desires.  But please try and meet the needs of more than one groups one sided views.
olefish

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:01 AM »
Heck I even enjoy catching big fat carp and this last year on Boysen when fishing for perch I caught 8 large suckers on very light tackle FUN.  I have to admit when fishing for walleyes  it is bothersome to have perch steal my bait or dink walleyes swallowing the hook, but I am also excited to know that they are there for the future of the lake.  I think the lakes should be managed for fish that are for the bank fisherman and the people in the boats and for kids and trophy seekers.  I am unsure how the G&F can balance the needs and wants of such a diverse sportsmen desires.  But please try and meet the needs of more than one groups one sided views.

An excellent point.  Often the hardcore anglers are the loudest....but make up only a small portion of the angling public.

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2016, 05:34 PM »
Appleye- I stand corrected! I didn't think there was a lake in Wyoming that didn't have trout where a walleye existed. To bad that isn't in Northwestern Wyoming as there isnt any lake up here like that. We used to have a reservoir or two but they have all but died off of most if not all walleyes.. Guess i'll just be happy and go catch suckers..  :o
Marvin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.