Author Topic: Tested the Striker Suit  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tested the Striker Suit
« on: Feb 25, 2016, 12:07 AM »
Well I finally took the plunge the Saturday after the warm Friday with the high winds and close to 60 degrees. Woke up lake looked great grabbed the spud 6 inches solid crystal clear no pinhole ice. I setup three tip ups went inside made breakfast set down for a minute next thing I know I wake up and it's 130pm! Raced out to find lake nasty grey terrible Ice and two of three flags up ugh.... spud went through in one jab pinholes galore and an inch already gone. I would of never went out but with the tip ups being there and kids plus adults could possibly see and think ice was safe. I put on my suit shirt and climate suit without the liner in the bibs. I wear the inner liner as a jacket a lot so I had that on already. Grabbed the spud and found a path half way out that was two jabs. After that nothing solid. So I held the spud horizontal had my picks and I went for it. Ice started to sink and then let loose. Went into about my chest then popped up. Was easy getting out and water wasn't as cold with suit plus adrenalin was on high. After first minute water wasn't as bad initial shock was over.  Neighbor was laughing but on standby with the rope on other end. I had it already around me if needed. Only thing that didn't make it was my cell in the not so waterproof case. Hats off to floating suits great idea and works awesome! I've never seen 6 inches of clear awesome ice go so fast. For my friends on here text me your name cloud didn't work so well either.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tested the Striker Suit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2016, 04:48 AM »
Nice to see ya made it out stinky. Go striker!!!

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2016, 05:08 AM »
I think testing suits is bad and good. Good to show how well they work and Bad that they might give a person to much confidence. Suits are one of those items you hope you never have to use in that way. but are worth every penny when you do. Sounds like you had a good plan except for the cell. Did you think you might want to call some one while in the drink? Glad your able to write about it.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2016, 05:15 AM »
Good to hear the strikers work well.  I had always heard they didnt have as much bouancy as artic armor, and wandered how well they work.  Maybe this summer i will jump in the lake with mine.  Glad to hear you made it out ok.  As a side note if im on early or late ice a lot of times i put my cell phone in a zip lock baggie.  My thought has always been that maybe i can make a quick call should i go in.  Of course im usually with a buddy at that time but still doesnt hurt to try to keep a phone dry.  You can also use your phone just like normal while its inside of a zip lock.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2016, 06:59 AM »
Good to hear the strikers work well.  I had always heard they didnt have as much bouancy as artic armor, and wandered how well they work.  Maybe this summer i will jump in the lake with mine.  Glad to hear you made it out ok.  As a side note if im on early or late ice a lot of times i put my cell phone in a zip lock baggie.  My thought has always been that maybe i can make a quick call should i go in.  Of course im usually with a buddy at that time but still doesnt hurt to try to keep a phone dry.  You can also use your phone just like normal while its inside of a zip lock.

I've never went in...well...over knee high...but I try to remember to put the cell in good zip-lock baggie. Could be the one thing that can save you...if you can't get out on your own. I can hear my flip phone through the plastic...and since it has buttons, not a touch screen...I can use it through a baggie.

That was a he$$ of a nap Stinky!!!

Paul

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2016, 07:04 AM »
I was not there, but something tells me the ice might not have been crystal clear after all, have not seen ice like that since first ice, glad u made it out!!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2016, 07:30 AM »
Glad all is well. Now, to finish the story. Did you retrieve the tip-ups, and did they have fish on the other end??? We need to know LOL...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2016, 07:38 AM »
question, when you fell was it fast or did the ice slow you? and did your face ever go under or was your fall too slow to allow that?

i fell in once and saw the ice plate twice, once going under and the other coming back up and i fell very fast. i had my aa parka on and insulated jeans.

would be good to pass this onto the rest of the crowd too.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2016, 08:13 AM »
good you made it out.

Glad all is well. Now, to finish the story. Did you retrieve the tip-ups, and did they have fish on the other end??? We need to know LOL...

no kidding, that is the main part of this story isnt it/ lol

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2016, 09:22 AM »
I'm not sure that's part of the get well plan!

Offline slabslayer77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing and they are hooked for life.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2016, 10:15 AM »
My big purchase for next ice season will be the striker suit. Glad to know it works as intended.

Please provide update on the tip ups though.
Pro Staff for 3 Northern Jigs

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2016, 10:21 AM »
question, when you fell was it fast or did the ice slow you? and did your face ever go under or was your fall too slow to allow that?

i fell in once and saw the ice plate twice, once going under and the other coming back up and i fell very fast. i had my aa parka on and insulated jeans.

His floating suit only allowed him to sink to his chest, so his face and head did not go in. 

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:15 AM »
Wax,  are you sure it was the suit that kept him from sinking???? ;)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2016, 12:35 PM »
thanks wax_worm
the bibs stopped the fall well then.

like i said i went threw and saw the ice twice with the artic armor parka on.

glad he's ok!
it is a rush to have happen. some one wearing just the coat fell in twice recently and called 911 the second time because he couldn't pull him self out after he was water logged form the first fall. he knows to crawl or roll now to get away from the bad ice after getting out.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2016, 04:55 PM »
thanks wax_worm
the bibs stopped the fall well then.

like i said i went threw and saw the ice twice with the artic armor parka on.

glad he's ok!
it is a rush to have happen. some one wearing just the coat fell in twice recently and called 911 the second time because he couldn't pull him self out after he was water logged form the first fall. he knows to crawl or roll now to get away from the bad ice after getting out.

It helps a lot to have the full suit.  While one piece will float you, having 2 and one on the lower end almost insures your head won't go under the water unless you are jumping in like off a dock or boat.  Keeping your head up is important for 2 reasons.  When someone hits that cold of water and they go under instinct causes them to grasp for air from the cold shock.  If you do that when you are under, you have just greatly lessened your chances of surviving if you fill your lungs with water.  You also lose body heat fast through your head.  Keeping it dry and out of the water can buy you some precious time you may need to get out and get to shore to warm up. 

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2016, 06:43 PM »
Wax,  are you sure it was the suit that kept him from sinking???? ;)
lol

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:54 PM »
I think testing suits is bad and good. Good to show how well they work and Bad that they might give a person to much confidence. Suits are one of those items you hope you never have to use in that way. but are worth every penny when you do. Sounds like you had a good plan except for the cell. Did you think you might want to call some one while in the drink? Glad your able to write about it.

No i had faith that the waterproof case would work.... Bad idea! I would of never ventured out but felt responsible for tip ups being out there giving others a false sense of security as in hey someone fishing tip ups must be safe. I personally never use that method I always test the ice myself and come to my own conclusions and what I'm comfortable with.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:58 PM »

Got one out the other two sank I put signs out along shore and public access warning of bad ice. I hsvnt seen any zctivity.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2016, 10:04 AM »
Glad you got out ok Stinky.  Didn't you say you had pneumonia the other day?  That's not the best way to get over that stuff, better take it easy man!
HEX

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2016, 10:07 AM »
This might be the single dumbest thread I've ever read on this site, seriously! ???
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2016, 10:22 AM »
Got one out the other two sank I put signs out along shore and public access warning of bad ice. I hsvnt seen any zctivity.

With the clear water, if they sank you might be able to get them once the ice completely leaves.  Not sure what kind you had or how deep the water was where they went down, but if they are the bright orange type they should stand out like a turd in a punch bowl.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2016, 11:57 AM »
Stinky that micro cam aught to locate those tip ups if its not too deep and the ice goes away.  Just a thought.
HEX

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2016, 07:17 PM »
This might be the single dumbest thread I've ever read on this site, seriously! ???

It goes well with the dumbest thing Ive probably done. Always wondered though what it would be like and not near as bad as I thought it would be once you past the initial cold shock.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2016, 07:20 PM »

Was a slow sink on top of ice then it let loose. I went to about mid chest before floating back up to about lower stomach waste area.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 27, 2016, 07:22 PM »
Should be easy to find bright oranfe.

Offline sprkplug

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2016, 09:31 PM »
Wow, just read this. Sorry about the gear, but material things can be replaced. Glad everything else went okay!

Offline bammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Apr 02, 2016, 02:55 PM »
Anyone have the Predator, is it the same as the Climate just without the inside jacket, is the inside jacket overkill? Just wandering is the Predator enough to get by on for warmth without layering up? I'm not knocking them they don't seem real thick, is this technology working for us, thinner being warmer?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Apr 02, 2016, 03:11 PM »
Anyone have the Predator, is it the same as the Climate just without the inside jacket, is the inside jacket overkill? Just wandering is the Predator enough to get by on for warmth without layering up? I'm not knocking them they don't seem real thick, is this technology working for us, thinner being warmer?

I have the Climate Parka/Bibs ...I have yet to wear the liners in my area ...even with the two back to back brutal winters a year ago ...the Predator would be similar in warmth to a Clam Blue suit ...I think with some good base layering you should be fine in your area .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.