Author Topic: Question for Lx7 users  (Read 1056 times)

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Question for Lx7 users
« on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:48 AM »
I've had my Lx7 now for a couple months and I love it. It honestly has made me a better ice fisherman, and I rarely use my underwater camera anymore. In fact, I've only used my camera once this year, and that was only for 30 minutes. I just love the LX7 and how easy it is to use. There are a few things about it though that make me scratch my head. One, I have noticed a constant flicker of my lure, it never seems to be a solid line, there are sometimes that the mark for my lure won't even display on the screen, it will start out as a solid green mark, and then slowly fade to blue and then it will disappear. And let me say, this is without moving the lure, it isn't drifting outside my cone angle, it's sitting still in the middle of my hole straight under the transducer. Then after a bit, it might come back to blue line, or green, and then starts fading away again. I've tried turning up the sensitivity and Target adjust, but this doesn't seem to make a difference. I've just lived with this for a few months and it hasn't really bothered me all that much. I still mark and catch fish, so why complain? Then this weekend, I went fishing with a buddy that just bought himself an LX7 and we were fishing side by side and I noticed his display never did the flickering or never lost his lure signal. We both had on 5mm tungsten jigs with 3 spikes. I thought that was kind of odd, so I asked him what his sensitivity was set at, he told me 2. I was blown away, I couldn't believe that, so I hit the sensitivity button on his unit to make sure, and sure enough it was set at 2. I have to have my unit's sensitivity at least on 8-10 in order to see everything good. I turned my sensitivity down to 2, and it wouldn't even mark anything, the screen was blank. So I slowly turned it back up, and it finally marked the bottom at 4, and finally the faintest mark of my jig at 7, but 9 was the best return signal. So we even went a step further and put his unit in my hole, and he put my unit in his hole, and his unit worked perfectly and my jig never faded or disappeared, but my unit acted the same way in his hole. So that makes me think there is definitely something wrong with my unit. I'm thinking maybe I have a weak transducer? There is obviously something about my unit that isn't working at 100%, especially since I seen his unit work flawlessly! Now I want my unit to work flawlessly like his. I'm going to be contacting Marcum on this issue also, but just thought I would see what you guys who own a LX7 thought about it as well!

** We both have the latest update on our units as well Version 4.07 **

Thanks for your input!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Question for Lx7 users
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:54 AM »
put in ice mode. the open water mode is just for shallow water work around until the firmware is released. it's just a curve gain setting between the two.
also, check your cable for cuts.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:20 AM »
You are definitely in open water mode and not ice mode.  You can change it in your sonar settings.

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2016, 03:09 PM »
Thanks for the help guys! When I first got my LX7, every thread and review I read said that you should use it in the open water mode, they claimed the ice fishing mode didn't work properly. Maybe that was previous firmware though. I looked at my transducer cable and couldn't see any bad spots or cuts, so I'll definitely try the ice fishing mode next time out on the ice.

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2016, 03:16 PM »
What others said...i dont usually go above 5 sensitivity and thats a small jig in 60ft
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2016, 03:20 PM »
i know i told you ice mode doesn't work right in shallow waters or that open water works best in shallow water. i may have forgot to say it's for shallow water tho. it's in the manual too and they know it's a work around for shallow water for now. it's just an extra step or try it in ice mode even in the shallows to see if you like it that way.
you should be good to go. just check the other lx7 and see what mode it is in and you'll know if that's the answer or call your buddy and ask him what mode it's in before you hit the ice you'll know. if his is in ice mode, then your good. if it's in open water, then there's a problem.
let us know.

Offline varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Any followup on this.did it work for you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.