Author Topic: Kayak Fishing  (Read 2377 times)

Offline cofish

• IceShanty Rookie
Kayak Fishing
« on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:31 AM »
I know this isn't ice fishing related but I think it's time to transition to the open water! Can anyone help me with some places to take out my new kayak and catch a few fish? Anything helps!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Kayak Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:49 AM »
anyplace that allows you to hand launch without an inspection.  Lone tree maybe ? ???
Bud

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:14 AM »
I know this isn't ice fishing related but I think it's time to transition to the open water! Can anyone help me with some places to take out my new kayak and catch a few fish? Anything helps!

What places have you already tried or scouted out?

Offline cofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2016, 09:46 AM »
I'm scouting out bear creek resevoire but I don't know if I wanna fish something that big! I'm looking for something smaller!

Offline A10FLYR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:31 PM »
On Facebook, CKFC. Colorado Kayak Fishing Club. I believe we have a website up and running now.
Dean

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:36 PM »
Lagerman in Longmont is open.  I believe McIntosh is mostly open. Kayak friendly.  Fishing sucks though...

Offline cofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Anything closer to Denver? What do you think about bear creek?

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2016, 09:20 PM »
Anything closer to Denver? What do you think about bear creek?

Never fished it.  I don't fish around Denver.  I heard it's no good after the floods though.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2016, 04:02 PM »
I fish Evergreen with a Kayak (Hobie Revo) quite a bit....lake is still capped....should be open in a couple of weeks....

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2016, 01:47 AM »
Man you guys sound like the people I need to talk to!!  I've been thinking about getting either a kayak, or a belly boat.  Leaning towards the belly boat because I have a really bad lower back.  Are there kayaks that are "friendly" to lower back issues?  I'd rather do a kayak, but not sure if it will allow me to be comfortable.  Perhaps one that allows you to sit up higher instead of having your legs out in front of you?  Maybe something similar to sitting in a lawn chair??
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2016, 08:19 AM »
Raptor-- I've got both and in the last five years used one or the other exclusively. My powerboat has become a lawn ornament. The bellyboat is lower in cost and easier to transport but slow. Windy conditions will beat you to death. Comfortable, like sitting in a LazyBoy. I've also got a 12 year old sit-on-top Hobie kayak. Personally, I prefer that style over the Eskimo type. Used them in Baja to chase dorado and toros. The modern ones are leg powered but they're pretty spendy and look real dorky. Mine has a clip in seat that gives good back support. I've got a bad back also but have never had a issue on the water. There's a magazine called Kayak Fisherman (also on the web) that shows the latest gear, most of which you don't need. Some cats are out there fishing for marlin and grouper and other crazy stuff. You can't go wrong with a good belly boat and some decent waders. Good fishing.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2016, 09:26 AM »
Thanks Stinky.  I'm kinda leaning towards the kayak just because of the long term wear and tear on a belly boat.  I hate buying things, then replacing them every couple of years.  I'll look into that magazine ya mentioned, and also that kayak.  Sounds like what I'm wanting.

Thanks for the help.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2016, 10:34 AM »
Paul a guy was asking me if the birds could be trained to fish ?  What he had in mind was for them to catch shad. like we see an eagle do yesterday.
Bud

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2016, 05:05 PM »
Paul a guy was asking me if the birds could be trained to fish ?  What he had in mind was for them to catch shad. like we see an eagle do yesterday.

They use cormorants in China;

I doubt that you can do it here, don't know.
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline lvrider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2016, 09:37 AM »
i have a horrible back from atv accident(s)... i love the seat in my hobie pro angler. that thing has more adjustments than i know what to do with. tilt the butt up or down. tilt the back as well. also has adjustable lumbar support. im pretty sure ill still be fishing my pro angler in 30 years.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2016, 11:02 AM »
i have a horrible back from atv accident(s)... i love the seat in my hobie pro angler. that thing has more adjustments than i know what to do with. tilt the butt up or down. tilt the back as well. also has adjustable lumbar support. im pretty sure ill still be fishing my pro angler in 30 years.

I've been looking into the pro anglers, and the mirage drive seems cool.  Do you find it easy to control as far as steering and stopping?  Also, how do you transport it?  Roof top?  Just trying to decide how realistic it is for me. 
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2016, 06:51 PM »
The wife and I have a two person canoe-yak (the 14.5 ultimate) from native that we use to paddle together (usually not fishing). I have a 12" necky santa cruz recreational kayak that I use for fishing.  The seats in the canoe-yak are way better than my kayak.  Native makes a 12" ultimate that would be a good fishing rig with good back support.  Ideally, a fishing yak would be foot propelled, but I think those are more expensive.  Fishing out of a normal kayak in the wind and trying to remain in one spot can be tough. You have to have an anchor system....or plan on trolling.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2016, 07:59 PM »
I've heard of guys trying it with osprey, but not successful at all. 

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2016, 08:05 PM »
I don't want the fins, or propulsion paddles, or whatever they're called.  Can they be removed and just use a paddle to get around with?

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2016, 09:15 PM »
Nate mentions the Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks. They're fast and you get to keep your hands free for fishing. But they're real spendy and very dorky, sort of like a recumbent bicycle. If you can get past those issues, they're the way to go. I've got a paddle power kayak that does everything I need, but I'm used to it. Sit-on-top styles are better for fishing than eskimo types. Mine's got the foot controlled rudder that simplifies steering. You can go way beyond what you need on one of these things. Some I've seen are tricked out like a tournament bass boat. If you know how to fish you don't need that all junk. As for hauling them around, you can use those rooftop foam blocks (Cabela's), rooftop clamp on kayak rack from Yakima like I've got. Or put it in the bed of your pickup with a hitch mount cargo hauler (Cabela's). If you can't drive right to the water, those little wheeled carriers make it easy to haul a good distance (surprise, Cabela's)
 You can dump a lot of cash into a first rate fishing kayak so this is one of those times you need to balance what you need against what you wish you needed.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2016, 11:33 AM »
Good info, Stinky -- for those of you who haven't seen it, here's a video of the Hobie pro angler in action:
https://www.facebook.com/eric.allee.58/videos/10154139185393109/
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2016, 01:27 PM »
Interesting, Nate. That thing's not as dorky as others I've seen and remarkably stable. Don't think I'd try standing up on mine like this dude does. For a bass fisherman like you, that setup would be hard to beat. You'd never need to trade up. I sent you a PM some weeks back on that fishery we discussed, but it may not have gone through.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2016, 10:47 AM »
Interesting, Nate. That thing's not as dorky as others I've seen and remarkably stable. Don't think I'd try standing up on mine like this dude does. For a bass fisherman like you, that setup would be hard to beat. You'd never need to trade up. I sent you a PM some weeks back on that fishery we discussed, but it may not have gone through.

Thanks, Mark --- yeah, standing up in the yak might be interesting.  Not sure how stable it really is, but if you're willing to get wet once and a while, why not?  Oh, I got the PM!  Reply sent.  :)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.