Author Topic: Leesburg gravel pit  (Read 12637 times)

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Leesburg gravel pit
« Reply #60 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:15 PM »
2 guys dead and here we are bickering over a body of water and the size of fish in it. Grow up already and show some respect.
My thoughts exactly, not sure why that crap ever came back up.  All I can wonder is what can I do that they didn't to make sure I don't end up on the bottom of a lake somewhere.  I rarely go on a lake anymore that no one else is on.  I rarely go by myself, although that didn't seem to make a difference here.  I try to always have a rope with me and all the other saftey precautions.  Next year I will have a spud and learn how to use it.  Bottom line is, we are still walking on water.  I thank God I will be around to do it again next year.  I for one am really surprised there were not more people in the drink this year based upon the ice I fished on.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:19 PM »
This is very sad news my condolences to the families .

I would also like to say that I agree with you fishslayer81. I think beyond this point any and all threads started or brought back up about this gravel pit be deleted nothing good has ever come out of them .

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #62 on: Feb 22, 2016, 09:27 PM »
This is very sad news my condolences to the families .

I would also like to say that I agree with you fishslayer81. I think beyond this point any and all threads started or brought back up about this gravel pit be deleted nothing good has ever come out of them .

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 23, 2016, 01:01 AM »
.                    It's already was closed

Yes, but people still fished it, now it may be enforced.

Offline bgriffis17

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Feb 23, 2016, 05:53 AM »
    x - 100,000   PLEASE J T kill this thread
fishing is hard can I go home now

Offline The real Fire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 23, 2016, 07:03 AM »
I don't know if I would delete the thread.  Maybe the disrespectful people  or post.  This is a terrible thing that happen. But I think we need to get the word out as much as possible on safety. Theses things can be prevented. But it happened. It happens. I bet 9 out of 10 of these horrible cases can be stopped with awareness not pushed under the rug and not talked about. I personally would like to know did he have a spud, life jacket or what safety plans did they have or not have. Most of the time people don't plan to fail they fail to plan.  Anyways my heart and prayers with those lost and there families.
You can't buy happiness,  but u can buy fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #66 on: Feb 23, 2016, 07:10 AM »
Ya know.. It is a sad day. We joke, we play, we rebut, we chastise the ones we know and the ones that don`t. Life is precious for us all. Love and respect what god has given us. Regardless of your stance there is a time and place for all the emotions we feel. I don`t know the gentleman that lost there lives, I do know they suffered the worst outcome we all face every time we lay foot on that ice. No matter the cause soft spots, shove holes, cracks, springs, wind, sun, and rain. This can happen at any given time.This is the thing that changes lives. Not only the families but all that understand how accidents happen and should motivate action to all that know the dangers to make a difference. Save our Ice Family with education, kindness, hands on knowledge of precaution. The time for enjoyment will come again, for now it is the love for life and our family that needs us all.

May our Lord bless this family in there time of need. Extend our thoughts and prayers for this family to know there loved ones are now safe and at peace with our creator.

Offline rcjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 23, 2016, 07:22 AM »
Amen Hoosier!!

Offline The real Fire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:11 AM »
Ya know.. It is a sad day. We joke, we play, we rebut, we chastise the ones we know and the ones that don`t. Life is precious for us all. Love and respect what god has given us. Regardless of your stance there is a time and place for all the emotions we feel. I don`t know the gentleman that lost there lives, I do know they suffered the worst outcome we all face every time we lay foot on that ice. No matter the cause soft spots, shove holes, cracks, springs, wind, sun, and rain. This can happen at any given time.This is the thing that changes lives. Not only the families but all that understand how accidents happen and should motivate action to all that know the dangers to make a difference. Save our Ice Family with education, kindness, hands on knowledge of precaution. The time for enjoyment will come again, for now it is the love for life and our family that needs us all.

May our Lord bless this family in there time of need. Extend our thoughts and prayers for this family to know there loved ones are now safe and at peace with our creator.

[/quote
Agree. Well said sir.
You can't buy happiness,  but u can buy fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:40 AM »
"Nail on the head" JT!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 23, 2016, 09:13 AM »
"Nail on the head" JT!
Agreed, just can't say it any better. So sad about these fellow anglers.
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #71 on: Feb 23, 2016, 09:41 AM »
wost end to a season there can be. very sad news.  our thoughts to the families.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Feb 23, 2016, 11:42 AM »
I thought we had a pretty safe year going overall in Indiana. Even with the shifting ice conditions. Sad to hear about anyone losing their life - whatever  the reason.

We all need to be careful and help others as we do on this board - especially about ice conditions.

Offline Big Buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 23, 2016, 03:03 PM »
Well spoken Hoosier! Very sad event-prayers for the families.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #74 on: Feb 23, 2016, 04:07 PM »

Wise words JT....thanks
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline tollbooth0j

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 23, 2016, 04:17 PM »
Well said, I'm blessed every day i go out, and my prayers go out to the families that were involved
Love catching my Walleye

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Feb 24, 2016, 11:50 PM »
So much for the Leesburg gravel pit jokes ugh.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Feb 25, 2016, 04:58 AM »
A buddy of mine is the cousin of the 29 year old that passed. Lord be with all involved. Not only the family but imagine the scars that are put in the recovery teams head as they are not accustomed to pulling young people out from under a sheet of ice. Just a tragedy. Should be a rule that early and late ice it be a REQUIREMENT to have to wear a life jacket or floating suit or do not allow access to ice.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #78 on: Feb 25, 2016, 09:32 AM »
      The only way we can prevent this from happening to people is to take the time to share what we know about safety to those that will listen.  The 3 here in Indiana that have passed broke some safety rules and payed the ultimate price.

Spud, Flotation, Picks around your neck, Partner, Rope, Cell phone in a waterproof container, Whistle close to your upper body, and extra clothes or space blanket in your vehicle.  If you don't know how to use any of these things ask, someone on here will explain it.  That's how I've learned what little I really know.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #79 on: Feb 25, 2016, 10:06 AM »
      The only way we can prevent this from happening to people is to take the time to share what we know about safety to those that will listen.  The 3 here in Indiana that have passed broke some safety rules and payed the ultimate price.

Spud, Flotation, Picks around your neck, Partner, Rope, Cell phone in a waterproof container, Whistle close to your upper body, and extra clothes or space blanket in your vehicle.  If you don't know how to use any of these things ask, someone on here will explain it.  That's how I've learned what little I really know.

Very true and good post.  In all the years I have been ice fishing and using a spud early/late ice I have yet had anyone ask me what it was for or how to use it.  They just come walking out thinking everything is the same just because they see others out.  Spud saved me from going in 3 times this year and twice in one day.  If there was a way to find the materials to make them cheap and I knew how to weld I would make them and give them to people at cost of materials only, just to help people be safer.  30 bucks is cheap for something that can save your life, but a lot of guys don't have the extra cash to buy them at retail.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:28 AM »
I gotta think that just a straight piece of rebar would do it better than nothing maybe an angle cut at the business end but in a pinch a chest or so high piece isn't but a couple bucks and no/minimal fabrication needed

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #81 on: Feb 25, 2016, 12:12 PM »
If any of you are welders,and have scrap pieces of steel laying around, all you have in it is your time,you can make them pretty cheap,problem is ,when you have to order in the material is where it gets costly ,so if you have some materials ,3/4" rebar, or steel pipe (don't go any less for it will defeat the purpose) 5' long (at least) then all you need is a 3/4" thickness pc of steel X 4" Tall X 1 1/2"Wide with angled edge,  with an attachment on top to fasteners a rope through(recommend!) AND you have yourself a good spud! Why couldn't we all own one? Please if you plan on ever ice fish again, be an example, just my 2 cents.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Feb 25, 2016, 01:30 PM »
I've made every one I've owned. I have the material to make the chisel end but not the bar stock for the shaft and handle.  If anyone wants me to make them the chisel end just chime in and I'll do it.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 25, 2016, 02:23 PM »
I've made every one I've owned. I have the material to make the chisel end but not the bar stock for the shaft and handle.  If anyone wants me to make them the chisel end just chime in and I'll do it.
that's awesome!!! What this site is all about. We like to keep tight lipped about our spots but we all have hearts. Jigmup you are the man!! ;) ;D

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 25, 2016, 03:54 PM »
I have a some rebar I had bought to make one sitting around taking up space if anyone in the Fort Wayne area needed that part it would probably cut down to make 2. I just ended up buying a frabill one because they're like 20ish bucks and as it turns out I'm lazy. I like the chisel on the frabill one too

Offline fishygene

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 25, 2016, 04:10 PM »
When i first started ice fishing every body made there own spuds . Threaded gas or water pipe,tee for the handle, 3x1x4inch flat stock with a angle ground on one side for the working end I was little guy then so mine was a little heavyer. Bye the way you have cut the flat stock to fit inside the pipe an weld in place.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 25, 2016, 04:11 PM »
Sounds like we need a fish fry/spud making party!

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Feb 25, 2016, 04:46 PM »
Sounds like we need a fish fry/spud making party!

There was no get together this year

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Feb 26, 2016, 12:36 AM »
Its pretty hard to beat the eskimo redneck chisel 11lb beast. Only complaint I've ever read was they weren't very shsrp... I didn't personally see the need for razor like edge on a spud but I only use mine for testing ice not making holes to fish from.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Feb 26, 2016, 04:53 AM »
There was no get together this year
we had fun at gsp two years ago. I could have had a horse or two to pull that otter cabin around out there lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.