Author Topic: Leesburg gravel pit  (Read 12638 times)

Offline Yamahajohnny

• IceShanty Rookie
Leesburg gravel pit
« on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:19 PM »
Just heard that some ice fishing gear washed up on shore and they called for a fan boat on the police scanner. Did anybody fall through this yr or lose some gear?

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Leesburg gravel pit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:21 PM »
There lookin for the guy now michigan plate on the truck

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:23 PM »
saw the truck there saturday morning when i went to warsaw

Offline crappiecrusher34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:28 PM »
??
Chasing a dream on the water.

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:57 PM »
BREAKING: FISHING EQUIPMENT FOUND ON POND
February 21, 2016 5:14 PM  avatarDeb Patterson  Updated: Feb 21, 2016 @ 5:14 PM
LEESBURG — Indiana Conservation Officers and Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Department Dive Team members are gathering at the Phend and Brown Gravel Pit off CR 600N where fishing equipment was found on the ice covered pond. The location is on private property.

North Webster Fire Department and Leesburg Fire Department have been called for their “sleds” and Turkey Creek Fire Territory has been called for the air boat. Other than the fading daylight, only the air boat has been called to make an emergency run to the scene.

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:30 PM »
I went past there yesterday morning at 7:30 and there were 4 vehicles there came back through at 11:30 and only a tan Ford left f150 , I almost stopped and looked because I knew there were a lot of springs!

Offline crappiecrusher34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:32 PM »
This is terrible if true.

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:54 PM »
There lookin for the guy now michigan plate on the truck
I'm very curious,is his truck a tan F150 Ford!

Offline Mr. gill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2016, 06:15 PM »
Wally, I seen some place that it was a tan F150
but did not say where from.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2016, 06:39 PM »
Just saw update, from news57, body recovered.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2016, 06:39 PM »
Very devastating,I'm feeling sick that I didn't stop and walk down, my heart was telling me it wasn't safe out there.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2016, 06:51 PM »
How sad.  Terrible news.  Baffles me why people can't use common sense?  No amount of fish are worth being out on sketchy ice, especially alone.  Heard of another rescue from a channel in lower Michigan yesterday, and luckily that person survived. If you haven't already, hang it up felllas as it is not worth the risk.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2016, 06:52 PM »
That's very unfortunate.  I don't understand how someone would know there is a truck there and stuff was "on the ice all day" and not alert someone.  Shouldn't have been there alone and most likely not at all.

Offline crappiecrusher34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:00 PM »
I love to ice fish and I push it  little also. But we had some high winds with warm temps  and some say springs. Am just left scratching my head. And I was wonder why the state was stopping people from going on slough in early season. BC some of us can't police our self's. Hope family has peace with it. And hope he loved what he was doing. Some things can wait.

Offline Border Jumper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Must be here someplace??
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:20 PM »
Body recovered after person falls through ice
Posted: Feb 21, 2016 6:20 PM EST
Updated: Feb 21, 2016 06:24 PM
By Andrea AlvarezCONNECT

picture: Pink floyd88 a / CC BY-SA 3.0
picture: Pink floyd88 a / CC BY-SA 3.0
KOSCIUSKO COUNTY, Ind. -
Indiana DNR Conservation Officer Jonathon Boyd confirms a body has been recovered after suspicion that a person fell through ice.

The incident happened at 76 West and 600 North in Leesburg, Indiana.

Officers say a witnesses found ice fishing equipment on the ice next to a large hole and a second witness stated the fishing equipment had been out there all day.

Indiana Conservation Officers responded to the scene and conducted a search and recovery operation.

Officers say evidence showed someone had, in fact, fallen through.

The Indiana Conservation Officers Dive team was on scene to help conduct an underwater search and recovery operation.

Officers were assisted by the Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Department and several area fire departments.

We will bring updates as they become available.

Stay with us online and tune in to ABC57 News at 10:00 and 11:00.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:45 PM »
Sorry to hear that.

Offline IceMan 87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2016, 08:29 PM »
They believe there may be a 2nd victim. Will be searching the area again in the morning I read on a another post

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2016, 08:31 PM »
man what a shame...I knew yesterday it was over. Spud was just dropping right threw 6" of junk ice.

Offline IceMan 87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2016, 08:32 PM »
KOSCIUSKO COUNTY, Ind. -  Indiana Conservation Officers are currently conducting a search and recovery operation at a rock quarry near 76 W 600 North in Leesburg.

Witnesses found ice fishing equipment on the ice next to a large hole. A second witness stated the fishing equipment had been out there all day. Indiana Conservation Officers responded to the scene and located evidence that two people had fallen through.

The Indiana Conservation Officers Dive team is on scene and is currently conducting an underwater search and recovery operation.

A male body has been recovered, but not yet identified. The second person has not yet been found.

The search will resume on Monday.

ICOs are being assisted by the Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Department and several area fire departments.

An investigation is ongoing by ICOs and as it progresses updates will follow.

Offline trophytaker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2016, 04:17 AM »
One person from Bremen and one from Dowagic

Offline Musket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2016, 04:35 AM »
Dustin Reaker 29 Bremen. Allen Stattler 41 Dowagiac. Very sad, May they RIP.

Offline Fishalittle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:13 AM »
Godspeed

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:37 AM »
Prayers :'(
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:41 AM »
prayers for the families

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:58 AM »
Is this the same gravy pit that many post about? Hopefully some of the posts didn't contribute to this horrible event. I've been around guys that absolutely believe they catch 14" Gil's and 20"+ crappie. I know a fish tale when I hear one but many don't. Hopefully posting things just to be funny don't end with tragic endings. Not saying this was the case here, but in what we post in general. Prayers sent for this event and for safety of all. 

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2016, 09:07 AM »
Is this the same gravy pit that many post about? Hopefully some of the posts didn't contribute to this horrible event. I've been around guys that absolutely believe they catch 14" Gil's and 20"+ crappie. I know a fish tale when I hear one but many don't. Hopefully posting things just to be funny don't end with tragic endings. Not saying this was the case here, but in what we post in general. Prayers sent for this event and for safety of all.

Yes the same one :( , and as tragic and sad as it is, the blame for this lies 100% on those that chose to risk it by walking out there that day.  I saw on facebook someone trying to blame the person that reported seeing the gear out there, because they said it had been there all day and did not call immediately.  Very sad and 100% preventable if people would use the slightest bit of common sense.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2016, 09:34 AM »
It's been at least a couple years ago when the leesburg gravel thread got started by what we all believed was a younger man. I can't be sure but wasn't his name Dustin? Wax your right on blame but my point is, did any post that those persons may have read helped in bad decisions being made? Please guys this is not meant for arguments but only mindful reflections and respect for these deaths.   

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2016, 09:56 AM »
It's been at least a couple years ago when the leesburg gravel thread got started by what we all believed was a younger man. I can't be sure but wasn't his name Dustin? Wax your right on blame but my point is, did any post that those persons may have read helped in bad decisions being made? Please guys this is not meant for arguments but only mindful reflections and respect for these deaths.   

I don't recall his name, but I think the claims were so outlandish that no one actually believed any of it.  It was not like he was claiming 10" gills and 14" crappie.  The claims were well beyond that to the point that anyone with any open water or ice fishing experience at all would know it was simply not fact.  I can't imagine a ridiculous post on here had anything to do two people making a very unwise decision on Sunday, especially since it was 2 years ago that thread was on here.  Sad day that seems to repeat itself every year.

Offline DanO2013

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2016, 10:44 AM »
It was Dylan I believe that started the fable, not Dustin.

All in all a very sad and tragic event. Prayers for the families sent.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:00 AM »
Wax, you know it and I know but I can assure you there are guys that fish a lot that don't have a clue on size and weights. All you have t do is fish in a group of red neck loud mouths and you leave the water shaking your head. Miss and sally is a good place to hear the stories.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.