Author Topic: Spring is on the way!  (Read 3033 times)

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Spring is on the way!
« on: Feb 21, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Changing of the seasons!  I can't wait to stop by and see how Clarence made it through the winter!!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Spring is on the way!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2016, 01:29 PM »
That's me on the right!  If you have Clarence take your picture you might want to check and see what you got before you leave!  We did have a good laugh on the way home though

Offline Big Buck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2016, 03:04 PM »
Roadside bait store?

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:14 PM »
"Clarence" can't believe he's still going strong.  We used to get all our jigs and tails from him.  Great GUY!  He always had the best jigs and threw in a bag or two when we stocked up with him.  That was way back in the 80's,  man how time flies.  Good luck over there Roeboat and watch out for those crooked CO's over there.
HEX

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2016, 09:02 AM »
My walleye rod and jig box is back in my suv ready for after work quick sessions
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2016, 10:16 AM »
I'm going to get my stuff ready soon as well.  I have been eyeing a new Eyecon rod for the Maumee since I broke my favorite rod last summer. 

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2016, 10:30 AM »
I hate buying stuff from box stores but gander has a 20 rebate right now.  Might just ask Jim at PTO his best price and help support a local local shop while we still have one.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2016, 10:41 AM »
I bought one last year off of him and really like it.  Its just one notch too small to throw those 5/8 oz weights, so im going to buy the next size or two up. The one i have now is Ecs66mlf its a '6' 6" rod rated for 1/8 - 3/8 oz.  it just feels a bit small to throw those big weights.  I will prob at least stop in and see what jim can do with the price.  I like to buy as much off of him as i can.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2016, 12:06 PM »
I'm going to get my stuff ready soon as well.  I have been eyeing a new Eyecon rod for the Maumee since I broke my favorite rod last summer.
I have an eyecon 6'6 M with extra fast tip and I love it. Just got the ci3 to go along with it and I'm ready to lay the smack down on wally. ;D

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2016, 03:50 PM »
Roadside bait store?

Yes, there are usually several in the Bluegrass Island area.  That one is run by a fine gentleman named Clarence that has be doing the gig for around 30 years!  I've told him a few times that when he's not there anymore I'm going to stop going.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:06 PM »
I bought a 6'6 ML Eyecon from Jim last fall. Just broke it out over the weekend. Seems to be a very nice rod.
Fish on!

Offline icehole219

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:18 PM »
I need to try Maumee for the first time. Other side of the state for me but I guess I will drive any day for some fishing

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:24 PM »
It's worth the drive as long as the timing is right.  I've fished next to guys from all over the united states in that river.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:00 PM »
Me too!! Met a guy from Alaska last year lol!!

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • its what u learn after u kno it all is what counts
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2016, 09:37 PM »
I need to try Maumee for the first time. Other side of the state for me but I guess I will drive any day for some fishing
I've never fished it and I do not plan on starting now still catch a lot of walleye at other places this time of year too many people

Offline JustJigIt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2016, 11:17 PM »
I've never fished it and I do not plan on starting now still catch a lot of walleye at other places this time of year too many people
I went for the first time last year and it was a blast. If you really like catching walleye, I think you should try it once. My first time there was on a weekend and the amount of guys there was insane but it's an awesome experience.
Just Jig It

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2016, 07:44 AM »
Combat fishin to the Nth degree over there.  Take about 6 or 8 guys and stand shoulder to shoulder, don't let anyone in your line and you can fish the water in front of you pretty good timing your casts.  But let one idiot off the bank get in there and he will mess-up all your drifts.  Good luck over there.  The reason I quit fishing the river was the COs and the Judges up town were running a Kangaroo Court.  If the CO needed another guy to fill his car before he went up to unload his "take(fishermen)" at city hall and you had a fish on the stringer off you went.  Up there you could plead guilty and shell out about $80.00 or try to fight it in court.  In which case you make another trip over there and the judge says "This CO has been on the force for 15+ years and its your word against his and I have to go with my CO's word".  Happened to my buddy and that did it for me.  It was some unreal fishing though, miss it!
HEX

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:36 AM »
It's funny, if there's one thing I can't stand it's a crowd!  Yet I go back again and again.  When I find my place in line on the river in one of my favorite spots it's just me and the feel of the rod, line, and the tic tic tic of that sinker bouncing off the rocks.  It's one of the few places on earth I can be 4 or 5 feet away from a stranger and forget he or she is there.  It can be a mess but I think it's worth it.  You have to remember, this is a world class walleye fishery.  It the only time I'm in a world class fishery every year that is busting at the seams with great fish.

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2016, 01:08 PM »
I went for the first time last year and it was a blast. If you really like catching walleye, I think you should try it once. My first time there was on a weekend and the amount of guys there was insane but it's an awesome experience.
Lol, I have enough addictions,I'm sure it's a trip,let's just say while everyone and their brother are fishing Maumee I'll be 45 minutes farther up the road and not fishing in the slop!  ;) ;Dbetter eating and a 5 bag limit.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2016, 01:25 PM »
Lol, I have enough addictions,I'm sure it's a trip,let's just say while everyone and their brother are fishing Maumee I'll be 45 minutes farther up the road and not fishing in the slop!  ;) ;Dbetter eating and a 5 bag limit.
I'll only be 10 minutes away and be by myself for the good feeling. It won't cost a fraction and the eating is just as good and a six fish limit. I love the Wabash

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2016, 01:30 PM »
Bigr remember they raised the minimum limit to 16" this year.  Good luck!
HEX

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2016, 02:56 PM »
Good luck on the big lake Joe and be careful out there.  That lake can be deadly just like the ice.  I'll be up there too off and on.  As far as the Wabash goes, there's good fishing there but you can't compare it to the spring run in the Maumee.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2016, 03:25 PM »
Hex not that it matters now but they raised it last year.

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2016, 04:02 PM »
I've been researching and planning a trip to Maumee this spring for a while. Just bought a new house today so I might not have the time to go now.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2016, 04:05 PM »
Bigr I just checked the 2015-2016 regs and it still says 14" limit.  Except on the Ohio River(no min.) ST. Joe 15" and Wall LK. 16".  I heard they were upping it to 16" this March.
HEX

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2016, 05:55 PM »
I think it is 16" north of st rd 26
Fish on!

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2016, 07:38 PM »
Good luck on the big lake Joe and be careful out there.  That lake can be deadly just like the ice.  I'll be up there too off and on.  As far as the Wabash goes, there's good fishing there but you can't compare it to the spring run in the Maumee.
Not talking about the big lake, although that's a good option,how about the Detroit river,will make the Maumee look like blue creek! ;D ;D

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:26 PM »
I've been in the Blue Creek, that may be an exaggeration!  Have been to Detroit yet, but Matt is ready to try it.  Wondered how you were getting 6!

Offline walleyepac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:36 PM »
I think I said five bag limit

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2016, 09:03 PM »
I know whatever you said it was.more that 4!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.