Author Topic: Marcum or Vexilar  (Read 5758 times)

Offline meek48

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum or Vexilar
« on: Feb 20, 2016, 08:51 PM »
Ok guys Marcum LX7 or Vexilar FLX 28

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Marcum or Vexilar
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:04 PM »
Don't even mess around buy them both then you'll know what suits your needs the best

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:05 PM »
Man. This never dies. Meet people. Try them both. Then decide. Its a lot of $. Youll have both parties arguing their sides here in two seconds. Both machines do the job. Both are sweet.
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:23 PM »
How many pounds of fresh fish can you buy with $600 ?
Bud

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:23 PM »
I would save 300$ and get a showdown but hey that's just me.

Offline icedogger17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:33 PM »
Marcum

Offline eddiew_29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:36 PM »
Hummingbird ice 45.... And save money. But any flasher is fun!

Offline meek48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2016, 12:12 AM »
Thanks  Adkrs your right lol

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:21 AM »
The one feature the Marcum has which I find extremely useful is the charting function.  Both are fine machines, but I really like having a little history to see what's going on.  Put that chart on the bottom 5' (10' if the fish are active) and you will wonder how you ever settled for just a flasher display.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:10 AM »

Offline korushka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:16 AM »
Marcum LX7

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2016, 06:51 AM »
Not this again ..............   The better question to ask is
 what type of fish u like to target?   
 What graph is good of them?

Example... I like lake trout In deep water.   
                  I have a FL 18  reads to 200 ft , covers water depth I Fish over. It has bottom zoom  , I have a tri-cone 20 12 8.  That's about it for a good old 545 dollars.   I have owned a Marcum/vexliar cheap ones and they work just fine.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:04 AM »
Asked and Answered on numerous threads/post in the past ...do a search upper left ...do some research on the web via YouTube ..customer reviews ...manufacturer sites ...and off course get out on the ice and see for your self . Good luck with your choice.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:16 AM »
I've never used any electronics when fishing. Is a flasher that much better than a LCD type fish finder? Some have flashers and have narrow cone's built in and get used on ice. I don't got a lot of cash for $1500 flashers but one I could use on ice and on the boat I could see getting. Anybody recomend any cheap lcd's that work good for ice?

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:27 AM »
I've never used any electronics when fishing. Is a flasher that much better than a LCD type fish finder? Some have flashers and have narrow cone's built in and get used on ice. I don't got a lot of cash for $1500 flashers but one I could use on ice and on the boat I could see getting. Anybody recomend any cheap lcd's that work good for ice?
You might be better off  getting an affordable flasher for ice fishing, and the same for open water. when I used my lcd for ice fishing, it would malfunction in severe cold.This is just my opinion, but it seems like Vexilar and Marcum are the best. I have a vex and am very happy. if you google the product your interseted in you will usually find tons of info.

Offline tpeters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2016, 08:28 AM »
You might be better off  getting an affordable flasher for ice fishing, and the same for open water. when I used my lcd for ice fishing, it would malfunction in severe cold.This is just my opinion, but it seems like Vexilar and Marcum are the best. I have a vex and am very happy. if you google the product your interseted in you will usually find tons of info.

If you're looking for a dual purpose unit take a look at the Humminbird Helix 5 Ice. for around $450.00 it not only gives you a digital unit with built in GPS for use on the ice but you can also buy a separate high speed transducer you can leave on the boat. Should fit your needs pretty well and doesn't break the bank.

Offline jighead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2016, 08:44 AM »
I have an LX 7 and love the many display options you can view. I bought a lithium ion battery for it and it runs longer and is as light as heck. You can also use it in open water. I have seen both the FL28 and the LX7 in action, LX7 is my choice but as anyone will agree, either one is awesome and if you leave home without it, you will drive back to get it no matter how far you've driven LOL.

Offline Cowboys#1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2016, 08:49 AM »
Asked and Answered on numerous threads/post in the past ...do a search upper left ...do some research on the web via YouTube ..customer reviews ...manufacturer sites ...and off course get out on the ice and see for your self . Good luck with your choice.

If you dont want to help the guy out dont respond to his post. New technology every year and its a big purchase so i understand why the question is asked. Just dont reply if you have a problem with the question.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2016, 10:41 AM »
If you dont want to help the guy out dont respond to his post. New technology every year and its a big purchase so i understand why the question is asked. Just dont reply if you have a problem with the question.
2X THAT. if you can not say something good,say nothing
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2016, 11:59 AM »
I'm a vex guy, always have been. Been using the fl 20 for 5 or 6 years. I would look into the 28 after all the great reviews I've heard but I'm biased. Compare the two and look at the functions you want for your style of fishing, no sense havin all the extra functions if you don't ever use them. Either unit I'm sure you will be happy with

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2016, 01:20 PM »
I tried them both side by side, same water, messed with them for like 6 hours, and took the Marcum back for a full refund.  I then sold the Vexilar to a relative,  the FL-20 is all I need.
Bud

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2016, 02:38 PM »

I have used both a flasher and a LCD and my preference is the LCD.  With the LCD I can see fish on the display screen when they enter the cone and depending on depth of water they can be up to 10 feet away or more from my jig.   The LCD display shows multiple fish individually, how large they are  and how large the schools are.  I like the idea of getting ready well before the hit and whether the school is still under me.  My LCD is an Eagle Ice, they don't make my model  anymore, but have better units as do other manufactures.

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • thats why they call it fishin,not catchin!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2016, 02:48 PM »
I use a Lowrance elite 4dsi,150 bucks,brand new,use it on the boat and the ice,
sooo,neither,lol

Offline bassaddict380

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2016, 02:58 PM »
I got a deal on a Marcum LX-7 and I would never consider anything else besides maybe a LX-9 if some one gave it to me  :)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2016, 03:39 PM »
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:50 PM »
Does the elite 4dsi show detailed 3D images? Can you see your jig and actually watch fish swim in and take it? That's what I was looking at. That and a few like it with GPS for a few $ more.

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • thats why they call it fishin,not catchin!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2016, 05:03 PM »
not 3-d,but def can see your jig,fish,

Offline meek48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:13 PM »
Ok guys thanks for all the input it is greatly appreciated . Its a lot of coin to put down and that's why guys ask these questions we like to get all the pros and cons of a product before we buy. I have a fl-8 and love it but want to up grade. Besides my son is chumping at the bit to get the fl-8 from me for fee lol . I have been watching youtube on both.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:49 PM »
Ok guys thanks for all the input it is greatly appreciated . Its a lot of coin to put down and that's why guys ask these questions we like to get all the pros and cons of a product before we buy. I have a fl-8 and love it but want to up grade. Besides my son is chumping at the bit to get the fl-8 from me for fee lol . I have been watching youtube on both.

good luck
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:49 PM »
I bought an LX7 two years ago and have been really happy with it.  I think what ever you get and learn to use you will be happy with and be miles ahead of where you were with out it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.