Author Topic: LAC DES ISLE  (Read 2706 times)

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
LAC DES ISLE
« on: Feb 20, 2016, 01:04 PM »
Hey All,

Just curious to see if any one ice fished this lake this year at all. I  grew up on Lac Des Isle we had a cabin there and I lived there every summer in  my childhood days. I am heading there this weekend for a 3 day trip down memory lane. Any and all replies will be welcome.

Thanks.

Offline Fluxcore

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: LAC DES ISLE
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2016, 01:43 PM »
Well i wouldnt expect a warm welcome. Locals take home pails of perch everyday and then blame people from alberta for destroying the lake. Quite pathetic watching grown men claim to have more rights then others on crown property.

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2016, 03:10 PM »
I was born and raised in Goodsoil, and I remember catching pails of perch. I have not been back to that area in at least 10 years. That being said, I am more interested in chatting about the wonderful world of ice fishing instead of someones negative opinion of the locals.

If anyone else has some knowledge of ice conditions or stories of how the bite has been I would be greatful.

Thanks again.

Offline Fluxcore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2016, 07:08 PM »
Ok well im a local that doesnt fish the lake anymore cause the fishing sucks.The glory days of Lac des isles are long gone as its become another resort lake thats been over developed and under managed.

Offline toxic111

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2016, 10:55 PM »
I find it strange that there seems to be a fishing issue there... I haven't fished it in winter yet, but am usually up there every weekend in the summer.  We usually catch fish all day while trolling.. in fact last year in 2 days we brought a alb walleye to the boat, 4-8b jack, a 13lb, 15lb & an 18b jack in... (all released)

Been there pretty much every summer for the past 6 years.. fishing was actually better last year...

Offline Fluxcore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2016, 06:21 AM »
Go to ranger bay,drill a hole and see how fast the others move in on ur spot. Cant even use a flasher cause they r literally 6" from ur hole. Its like its a race to see who can clean the lake out. Summer time is a whole different story. You say u catch fish all the time, i challenge u to consistantly catch pike over 20lbs,good walleye and the monster perch lac des isles is known for.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2016, 10:23 AM »
Coming from someone who lives in the area the glory days are gone in MLPP, lots of people around here are fishing memories where in reality is there are very few trophy opportunities left. The whole park should be CR2 limits but doubt if Sask environment will ever realize this in my lifetime.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2016, 11:23 AM »
If the neighbouring lodge owners were organized and submitted a proposal to SE outlining the importance of reduced limits and/or slot limits to protect the fisheries, they could make some changes. A friend of mine cited the town of Nipawin and the slot limits of Tobin.  Look what it's done there. It's a world class fishery that provides a huge economic spillover to the local economy. We need to start thinking forward and not just reference the latest Fish Facts that suggest the population is doing okay or that the locals report decent catches.  By the time changes need to be made its too late.  Just my two cents.
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2016, 12:02 PM »
I doubt most lodge owners around here would ever push for reduced limits there was already lots of push back when they lowered the limits. Initially the whole central zone was supposed to go to 3 walleye but there was so much negative feedback they only lowered to 4 for the general limit. Most locals were outraged when the walleye limit went to 3 in the park. Totally absurd seeing as if you can't 5 why are you against lowering it to 3.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline 2fastwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1 Man 1 Mission
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2016, 10:19 PM »
Government sees dollar signs not conservation.

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2016, 04:51 PM »
I am sorry to hear that the fishing has not been as good as it has in the past, but I think that is pretty similar to most lakes. I know one thing, I am going to enjoy the clean crisp air, the flood of memories and an ice cold beverage or two. If I happen to catch a few fish along the way I may just have to eat them!

Offline dkruks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2017, 09:34 AM »
Morning everyone!

I am heading north again to my home country next weekend. Any information on ice conditions and snow cover would be appreciated. Any word on heaves or ice thickness. Should I bring an extension? Can travel be made easy with a 4x4 truck?

Thanks,

Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.