Author Topic: Steel vs fluoro  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Steel vs fluoro
« on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:44 AM »
Ive got an odd one for ya. The past 2 weeks i have been experimenting with different leaders for pike. I have been running one 45# wire, one 12# wire, and one 20# fluoro. All rigged identical, with a blade, beads, and a hook with a shiner or bluegill (all 3 baited the same). I get flag after flag on the wires but nothing on the fluoro. I have caught one fish on the fluoro in 2 weeks, a 27" pike. Ive caught tons of pike, bass, perch, and crappies on the wire (perch and crappies when using fatheads before i could jig up a small gill).

What the heck is going on? Ive tried mixing up the leaders on the different tipups but the steel is still the only ones that get hit!
EYECONICFISHING

Chute82

Re: Steel vs fluoro
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2016, 02:58 PM »
Not sure how much pressure your local lake gets but the fish might not be leader shy.  That's my only guess

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2016, 04:13 PM »
But why are they ONLY hitting wire leaders?
EYECONICFISHING

Chute82

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2016, 06:50 PM »
But why are they ONLY hitting wire leaders?

I have no idea.  Is the steel leader red colored? 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2016, 07:25 PM »
Black coated or bronze uncoated, been using both.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2016, 08:37 PM »
fish inactive. steel leaders weigh down minnies?
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:35 AM »
Thanks for posting Kevin. I've said here a million times fluoro ain't invisible or magic. Sure sometimes it seems that you do better but for me it simply this: The good ol' hot/cold hole syndrome. You can adjust your presentation all you want but like real estate, its all about location, location, location. If that happens again swap your cold rigs into the hot holes and see if things change. I know it's hard to mess with success but that is one of the only ways I know of to validate/disprove a theory.

Not that fluoro may have an advantage at times, I just think there's too many other variables to chalk improved fishing up to that one thing. I also think much of the re-enforcement to use fluoro comes mostly from marketing. Why not play up the higher cost item, eh? Sure, I play with plastic but I mostly rig with steel for or in pike waters (which is just about everywhere in these parts). If I'm targeting non-toothy species I may also use something other than steel and live with the eventual biteoffs.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2016, 06:50 AM »
There may be something to that, the floro makes them livelier. I was using floro last year when the northerns on the lake I fish were quite active. This year was slow and I only caught 3 northerns, and 2 of of them yesterday. On a few occasions other people around me had either had flags or caught fish.  Since the depth and bait was pretty much the same I was starting to wonder about my floro leaders, which are 80lb btw.  I make my own musky leaders with the same material, but I'm wondering if the 80 is too much.   
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Royalkangaroo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:43 AM »
That's strange.  I had the exact opposite happen this weekend.  Prior weekend I ran all 12 tip ups with 20# fluoro, and had 30+ flags throughout the day, but probably 8 break offs.

This past weekend I ran 6 tip ups with 30# wire and 6 with fluoro.  Out of the 6 with steel, ONE tripped during the day but did not take the bait.  All 6 fluoro tip ups were going off all day; only had one break off. 

We also went so far as to replace two steel leads back to fluro and each of those flags had gone off later in the day.

Unfortunately Im learning it's a trade off.  But I'd rather chase flags and chance a break off rather than have no action!  I may step up the fluoro to 30# or 40# for added security.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.